NCL Food Republic Favorites?

Juvesgirl

Tried to find a thread on this, but didn’t see one - apologies if repetitive!

Any favorite Food Republic dishes? Would love to hear anyone’s recommendations!

Any misses we should avoid?

Any options more “substantial” than others?

Thanks in advance for the input!

There are so many options there it really is going to vary widely on your tastes.  I'm a big eater and at first I thought not going to be enough food.  Have eaten there at least four times on two ships.  Last was three of us with eight dishes and we were all full.

• Thanks 1

EVERYTHING!!! 🙂

Honestly our favorite restaurant on all of the NCL ships. We went three times when we were on the Escape. My advice is to order no more than 2 dishes per person to start with. Some of my faves were the lamb and any of the sushi rolls. The sashimi 'pizza' was quite interesting and tasty. Honestly with three meals there and we tried so many different things, we loved it all. 

Edited by WheresWalter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Liji said:

Last night I enjoyed a glass of wine with a traditional Russian pie and orange chicken. I haven't managed to take a picture of the food because everything was incredibly delicious. We ate at the nearby restaurant we used to walk by for unknown reasons. From now on, it will definitely be our favorite place to eat.

IMG_1696.thumb.jpg.3d1e04e2d792e39be08da810981e2db6.jpg

Whoa! Where did you find the Russian pie? My husband is Russian and would love to have this. I haven't seen Russian pie on Food Republic's menu. 

On 12/12/2022 at 6:37 AM, dexddd said:

There are so many options there it really is going to vary widely on your tastes.  I'm a big eater and at first I thought not going to be enough food.  Have eaten there at least four times on two ships.  Last was three of us with eight dishes and we were all full.

LOL I was worried about the same thing! Glad to know that you left full!!

On 12/12/2022 at 6:41 AM, WheresWalter said:

EVERYTHING!!! 🙂

Honestly our favorite restaurant on all of the NCL ships. We went three times when we were on the Escape. My advice is to order no more than 2 dishes per person to start with. Some of my faves were the lamb and any of the sushi rolls. The sashimi 'pizza' was quite interesting and tasty. Honestly with three meals there and we tried so many different things, we loved it all. 

On 12/12/2022 at 6:57 AM, roscoe123 said:

I loved the black cod skewers.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:05 AM, EllieinNJ said:

The baby lamb chops were delish.  Also the tempura.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I wouldn’t have thought to try the lamb here but we will definitely try it! And my husband likes Black Cod, so we will add to our list!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:43 AM, BirdTravels said:

Favorites

Lamb Kalbi Gui

image.png.929cb00e5410c3df19b7837c83724635.png

Tonkatsu (pork loin)

image.png.97d7f53b88722531eb8c369ffdca778d.png

Black Cod

image.png.05ce3804eae6cbfc27720f510580ceac.png

Tiger Roll (Spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, crab, avocado)

image.png.6f6e805739629f2d091ebcd26e36e65c.png

Ahi Tuna Stack

image.png.71a982b81dc53b47a08dbaf243aeca8a.png

More votes for lamb and cod! These pictures are making me hungry!!! Thank you!!

On 12/12/2022 at 10:22 PM, Sailing12Away said:

These were my picks back in September.

Tempura fried shishito peppers

image.thumb.png.edff9d179d1b0d2beb988b8076da2a9c.png

Peruvian beef skewers

image.thumb.png.b0f1c6397ee372c56aa75e1164b2a527.png

Thai chicken lettuce wraps (least favorite of the things I tried, good, but not as good as the others)

image.thumb.png.743c9888c99ae3cea70b0d59f07103ad.png

Tijuana street fries

image.thumb.png.84b72ad9fd086f31106e41c0cc30b368.png

I was thinking about the fries, but the picture seems like the toppings are a bit sparse. What did you think of them?

On 12/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, destar said:

Im sorry, the chocolate sundae is from the local bar and grill. At food republic the lamb and sushi were delicious. With the dinning plan you are allow 4 plates per person.

Ah, that’s good to know, we are going to use the plan. Thanks for the tip!

we will head to the Local for dessert :)

On 12/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, tartist said:

Kimchi fried rice was so good! As was all the sushi. It was honestly all so good. We skipped dessert & ordered 8 different dishes to try. So much fun! You can’t go wrong there! 

I was thinking of the fried rice! Glad you recommend!!

hopefully my lost doesn’t grow to more than 8 LOL!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Liji said:

Last night I enjoyed a glass of wine with a traditional Russian pie and orange chicken. I haven't managed to take a picture of the food because everything was incredibly delicious. We ate at the nearby restaurant we used to walk by for unknown reasons. From now on, it will definitely be our favorite place to eat.

IMG_1696.thumb.jpg.3d1e04e2d792e39be08da810981e2db6.jpg

I don’t think I ever heard of Russian Pie - will have to check it out!!

The tuna nachos are great, but the black cod skewers were our favorite.  Almost everything we had was really good. The only thing we had that I wouldn't order again were the Peruvian beef skewers.  We did not care for the spices they used, but that could have just been our tastes. We ate there three times on the Joy back in October.  The restaurant was never more than half full, which we couldn't understand.  It's was our favorite specialty restaurant. 

One tip:  Each person can order four items with a specialty dining credit.  Unless you are just starved, that's a ton of food as the portions are larger than you think they are going to be.  However you can split one credit between two people and just get four items to share.  If you're still hungry you can always pay out of pocket for something else, and you will save a credit for another meal.

Edited by Pens fan
  • Like 3

💯 the black cod skewers. They’re so good we usually get a few orders. They melt like buttah.

The pork belly is good, as are all the rolls. Honestly, everything is good. I live in Miami, and we love Pubbelly (the parent restaurant of Food Republic), so I was so excited when NCL announced this. It’s always a favorite, on land and now at sea!

On 12/14/2022 at 9:11 AM, Liji said:

with a traditional Russian pie

I took a look at the menu. It appears you're finding the Russian Pie under the dumplings section, pastrami and sauerkraut? Is this what you're referring to? Are you thinking of vareniki? 

Any Russian pie I've had (in Russia from my in-laws, in Russian restaurants, and that he's made for me) have been baked, not boiled. They are very similar to Montana's pasties with an assortment of meats, cheeses, potatoes, cabbage, green onion, boiled eggs surrounded by a dough that's baked in the oven. 

If NCL has something like this, please let me know. I'd absolutely love to try it onboard (I'm guessing it's not as good as my grandma-in-law's though). 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Juvesgirl said:

Ah, that’s good to know, we are going to use the plan. Thanks for the tip!

You place your order from a tablet (similar concept as endulge) and food come out different intervals, some faster than others. We ordered 2 dishes at a time and shared.

When we're on the Joy in May, 6 of us dine in FR, used only 4 FAS/Platinum vouchers as each can order any 4 items on the mini iPad, tons of food to share among us (16 items for 6 adults). The sushi rolls were jumbo & tasty good.  Vietnamese Pho (beef) noodles soup was good, feedback to them is to serve it in a larger & deep bowl, and ease up on sodium (too salty ... trending everywhere on NCL ships, don't they taste test & check their soup stock or broth 🤔

Otherwise, we had a great time & lots of laughs with a very friendly & helpful crew and hostess teams, not busy at all.   Key is to order items as a group and share. 

PXL_20220512_222638385.jpg

PXL_20220512_222233296.jpg

PXL_20220512_222609905.jpg

PXL_20220512_222626370.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 9:44 AM, destar said:

Burgers are pretty good, kept going back for lunch and always had to get the chocolate sundae for dessert, its delicious. 

Can you use a purchased specialty dining coupon for lunch? Are the prices the same for lunch and dinner?