4* and 5* wine tasting

Ready2go11

Leaving next week for my first cruise as a 4* since earning it in October. Very excited to enjoy my new perks. 

Curious as to any recent experiences of the wine tasting listed on the Mariner star chart, specifically on the Koningsdam. Do they actually hold the event?  If so, what can we expect?

thank you in advance for any helpful comments. 

17 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

Leaving next week for my first cruise as a 4* since earning it in October. Very excited to enjoy my new perks. 

Curious as to any recent experiences of the wine tasting listed on the Mariner star chart, specifically on the Koningsdam. Do they actually hold the event?  If so, what can we expect?

I can help you somewhat.  They did hold it.  I didn’t go so I can’t give you specifics.  This was in November.

Yes, they hold the event - typically the afternoon of the first sea day.  You should receive an invitation prior to the event.  It's 4 wines - 2 red, 2 white.  It's worth doing once, and then if you feel it's worth your time  you can do it each cruise.  Once was enough for me, partly because I don't like red wine but mainly because I'm not willing to leave the Retreat to get dressed & sit in the MDR for a wine tasting.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

Will probably be in MDR. Each seat will have 2 whites and 2 reds along with a small plate of cheese, meat, cracker, bread depending on the pairing of wine. Hopefully the person presenting will provide (printed) info on each wine and walk you through what to taste on the board to bring out the pairing. My DW is not a wine drinker but enjoyed it when presented well. (And I got to finish her wines). The last one we did the presenter did not have printed info nor tell us what was on the plate so DW was not as impressed (but I still got her wines). 🤣 no extra wine given when finished.

In the pre Covid days they had 3 tables in Crows Nest, each with the bottles from each of the wine packages. You could taste all of the wines from each table and then they poured generously afterward. 🍷 

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Have experienced three reds, three whites or two of each and a glass of champagne. each ship does it slightly differently. You can learn a lot with a good wine guy.  Jade was the best we saw this year.

I had my free tasting by invitation on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October.  It was as @SilvertoGolddescribed.  Wine that was left in the bottles was poured to whoever wanted it.  My tasting was also taught by Sommelier Jude, and it was fun and informative.  

~Nancy

• Like 1

We did our first 4* tasting in October.  We got two red, two white and a sparkling.  The reds had been pre-poured at the table, but they only sat 3 of us at a table for 6, so we drank all that had been poured since we saw them just dumping the glasses on other tables.  Plus we ate all the cheese and fruit too.

E957C4FD-A1D7-4291-AAAD-57CDCDB9A0F4.jpeg

Edited by Djb4CC
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

We did our first 4* tasting in October.  We got two red, two white and a sparkling.  The reds had been pre-poured at the table, but they only sat 3 of us at a table for 6, so we drank all that had been poured since we saw them just dumping the glasses on other tables.  Plus we ate all the cheese and fruit too.

You must have been that table that told me those empty seats were reserved. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Junelovestocruise said:

I'm newly 4 star, traveling with my sister who is 3 star. Will we both get an invitation because of sharing the same cabin or only me?

I believe the invitation is to the xxxxx party.  I'm just off the Eurodam, where I shared a stateroom with my husband.  I'm 4-star, he's 2-star.  We didn't attend, but I'm pretty sure the invitation was addressed to (last name) Party - not my first & last name.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks Sue. I'm boarding the Volendam on December 17 and I had already mentioned to my sister about this new opportunity that we could try. I guess that I had made the assumption that it woukd apply to both of us - just like the specialty restaurant discount when  I was 3* and she was 2*. If it's as you remembered, I won't have to disappoint her!

@Junelovestocruise I can’t remember how it was addressed with mine in October, but my partner and I are at different star levels.  We just arrived together and where seated, no one even asked to see our invite.  If you are concerned about it, when you get the invite, take it to customer service and ask.  As HAL website says, everyone on the same booking gets the benefits of the highest star passenger. 

• Like 2