Which Easter week will have the most kids?

mafig

2 hours ago, Gonflipin said:

We are on a 4/9 Easter cruise in 2023. Kids are off from 4/6-4/14. Our group page for the sailing is FULL of kids of all ages

What ship are you on?  (Maybe all the kids will be on your cruise😏.)

On 12/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, mafig said:

Easter in 2023 will be on April 9.

Which week do you think will have the most kids? 

April 2 - 9 ? 

or

April 9 - 16?

Massachusetts schools are mostly off starting April 15th this year. 

In our area (metro New York) which week will depend on the date of Passover.  In years that Passover falls in the week before Easter that is the week that public schools will be closed.  The exception is Catholic/Christian schools.  Those are closed for the week following Easter.  Another week where ships out of NY are crammed with children is locally known as "yeshiva week".  This is the week Orthodox Jewish schools are out, which is generally the third week of January.  Not sure of the dates for 2023 but I know it is January 11-21 in 2024.  I have a friend who teaches at a yeshiva and I always check with her.  Not sure if this has any effect on ships out of Florida but I think it might.

Edited by Travelling2Some

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

In our area (metro New York) which week will depend on the date of Passover.  In years that Passover falls in the week before Easter that is the week that public schools will be closed.  The exception is Catholic/Christian schools.  Those are closed for the week following Easter.  Another week where ships out of NY are crammed with children is locally known as "yeshiva week".  This is the week Orthodox Jewish schools are out, which is generally the third week of January.  Not sure of the dates for 2023 but I know it is January 11-21 in 2024.  I have a friend who teaches at a yeshiva and I always check with her.  Not sure if this has any effect on ships out of Florida but I think it might.

Your guidelines for determining Easter are not always true. Easter USUALLY follow Passover, but not always. You have to check each year because Passover is based on the Hebrew calendar.

Also, your cautions about yeshiva week are correct. Yeshiva parent groups often charter Kosherica cruises which are on NCL and RCL ships this year. Not only do the ships have many children on these weeks, almost always in January, some facilities are closed to those not in the charter group because they eat only Kosher foods and have special religious services.

As others have noted, what is standard practice in your community doesn't always apply to others and other states and schools districts. It is tough!

Edited by Markanddonna

2 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

HMMM. Just booked Bliss Mexican Riviera for 4/2/23 - 4/9/23. Hopefully it's the next week that the kids are off. Didn't even think about Easter because it's the next week. 

that's the week our school district is off.

14 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Your guidelines for determining Easter are not always true. Easter USUALLY follow Passover, but not always. You have to check each year because Passover is based on the Hebrew calendar.

And this is what I said.  Not sure if you misread my first paragraph, but we are in agreement.

It looks like most colleges do spring break in March and it peaks the second and third week of March: https://www.studentcity.com/plan-a-trip/when-is-my-spring-break/

But to show how varied public schools are, here's Los Angeles and Orange County spring breaks: https://www.lovecatalina.com/community-information/school-break-calendar/

Using just California as an example, Los Angeles public schools are out April 1-9, while Long Beach schools are out April 7-16. 

Uggg...  Booked April 2-9 to coincide with a family wedding and never thought of school vacations.  In New England, it's typically the last 2 weeks of April, as noted by a couple posts earlier.

Thank you for the warning and hoping the Spice H2O on the Breakaway sticks to the 18+ rule!!

16 hours ago, Viamin_Sea_26 said:

Uggg...  Booked April 2-9 to coincide with a family wedding and never thought of school vacations.  In New England, it's typically the last 2 weeks of April, as noted by a couple posts earlier.

Thank you for the warning and hoping the Spice H2O on the Breakaway sticks to the 18+ rule!!

I think they do, however the last time we were on the breakaway during a school break we could never find seats in H2O.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, d9704011 said:

Well, this is something I've never much thought about.  In Ontario, kids are off school in March (March Break).  At Easter, they'd only be off on Good Friday and Easter Monday; this is not a typical time for planning family vacations.

This like my kids...They get spring break in March and two days off for Easter making it a 4 day weekend.