When do you start packing for your cruise?

Sigyn

24 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Makes sense. I will have more trouble packing for our Alaska cruise next July than the Caribbean cruise I'm packing for right now. I mean, a July cruise to Alaska. That's just confusing!

Probably a good time to think about it as the winter clothing and gear go on. sale in January.  

I start a couple of days before by laying out everything I intend to take on the bed in our spare bedroom. Everything goes in the case on the day of departure or the night before if we are leaving early. 

Edited by K32682

I start making lists as soon as I've booked, practically - I have a Google Sheets doc for each trip, and as I think of things, I add them to the list, then move/add/remove as I go. The doc also includes important information like booking references, dates, things I need to do prior and when, etc. 

I booked a Panama Canal transit for Jan 2024 in November (on board booking), and started the planning doc as soon as I got home. 

2 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I start making lists as soon as I've booked, practically - I have a Google Sheets doc for each trip, and as I think of things, I add them to the list, then move/add/remove as I go. The doc also includes important information like booking references, dates, things I need to do prior and when, etc. 

I booked a Panama Canal transit for Jan 2024 in November (on board booking), and started the planning doc as soon as I got home. 

For me such a spreadsheet would say "pack" and that would pretty much cover that part of it.   Admittedly, I do need to know how many days we will be gone.  Otherwise I have clothes and I have a suitcase.   Move clothes to suitcase.  Weigh.  Adjust.  Weight again.  Done.   

I guess I start packing as soon as I return from a cruise: 

- I have a handful of things I use only for travel.  Upon returning home from a cruise, I put these things away carefully /ready for the next trip.  For example, I refill /replace my toiletries, check to see that the first-aid kit is ready-to-go, store away my pool tote.  These things live in a box on the top shelf of my closet.  

- I have a packing /task template, which I consider a "starting point".  I always end up altering the template a bit for the length of the cruise or for specific plans we have made.  It includes things like making kennel reservations for the dog and packing her food and bedding, making sure the car is ready for the drive. 

- My rule is that if we're leaving on Saturday, the suitcase MUST be fully packed on Wednesday.  Why?  We always discover that the sunscreen we were sure we had is empty, or the dress I'd planned to wear is in the dirty clothes.  Packing a few days ahead of time means we aren't scrambling night-before.  

- Our family tradition is that we pack a charcuterie board for the night-before hotel room.  Having the suitcase packed means I can turn my attention to that task.  

• Like 1

Usually the day before.  I have a comprehensive list of things to do before the cruise that I start checking off in the week prior.  I also start setting things aside in a separate area of the closet that I know I will be taking, and washing anything that needs it in the week before.

We are doing a 5 week tour to Australia with two cruises and about 10 days on land and I hope to take one carry on size and one large personal item only.  So, I will do a trial pack to see if I can actually do this.  I just don't want to lug  my larger suitcase around airports, to and from hotels, on tours, etc.  

I've done about 3 weeks with the above luggage, just not sure about 5..  I will try to do laundry, of course, when possible.  Since I'm not a big person, re shoes, etc., clothes are possible, I think.  It's the misc. things such as toiletries,  meds, devices, chargers, first aid, OTC supplies, etc. that make it harder.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

I put out clothes that are specific to the travel after they are washed and dried, on the guest room bed, any time within a month of the trip.  Toiletries are easy as I have a travel supply and bag that I used when traveling weekly for work.  All are my own products so I know what I am using.  For our Jan cruises I have also added the swim suits and cover up as it will not be used until then.  I actually pack the day before travel.  We fly to port so I also line the suitcase with a large trash bag and place another over the top of the packed bag to protect in case of rain/snow.  Plan personal bag to have under clothes, pajamas, change of clothes and toiletries in the event of an event.  We travel carry on size bags so it goes quickly.

• Like 1

About a week out, I start a section in my closet for the things I intend to bring. Wash anything that needs to be washed and set it aside. I don't pack stuff into a suitcase until the day before we fly out, to avoid wrinkled clothes and we roll our clothes and use packing cubes. Hubby does his own on approximately the same timeline.

On 12/18/2022 at 8:10 AM, njsmom said:

My cruise is in five days. We leave in four. I have put together a few things, but haven't really started packing. I tried, but our cats got into it all, at 2 am, no less, so I closed up the suitcases and stopped. I did create a packing list. 

How soon do you start packing for a cruise? 

Usually the morning that we are leaving .