Oceania and Regent cuisine

jjeffjb

3 hours ago, rbtan said:

I'm SURE your Cod portion was not quarter sized. We did 14 days last Jan. The food was excellent overall. The afternoon tea was cut back in choice. This was to be expected as the Riviera was half full. Food overall in the GDR was fine. One night I didn't care for the offerings so I had Jacques "favorite" Salmon. Among the best Salmon dishes I've ever had. I ordered the Rotisserie Chix. in Jacques. This was less quality than a Costco roast  chix. That was the only rather unsatisfactory dish on the whole cruise. Terrace Grill for the "International" cuisine nights is a good choice.Polo is our least favorite rest. That's not to say it's not good. Not at all. Toscana just does everything better. If you like Dover Sole(Keith's fav,)Toscana does it best. In Jacques, we recommend the Foie Gras followed by the Seabass in puff pastry for 2. Just exquisite.

Maybe it was just a kitchen mistake, and they were served a scallop instead! 😉

I also love the foie gras, a real treat.

But we've never tried the Seabass in puff pastry for two.  We've enjoyed other foods (not on Oceania) in delicate puff pastry.  We both are crazy about the glazed sea bass in Red Ginger.   How does the seabass compare between the Jacques and Red Ginger?

Ah, how we miss our traveling...

GC

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Every time I checked the prices on Regent, it was SIGNIFICANLY more expensive than Oceania even when you account for all inclusions. When I say SIGNIFICANLY, I mean at least 30-50%.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, as we really want to try Regent, but their typical 10 European cruise is around $13-14k CAD. We do fly business, but even when adding the flight cost to Oceania, the price is still below $10k CAD.

Despite the apples/oranges aspect of all cruise pricing, that has been my experience as well. Especially for people who don’t drink.  If you love high dollar drinks, your mileage may vary. 

On 12/22/2022 at 1:16 PM, njhorseman said:

I fully understand that alcohol and shore excursions are the major inclusions, but it appears you're suggesting that Regent's allowance for business class air is comparable to O's allowance for coach air. I rather doubt that's the case.

Oceania for Coach is $1,000.00 per person Europe.  Regent for Business Class is $2,500.00 per person Europe.  Restricted Business class and Coach to the connecting city to the international location. 

That is what my research has told me.  I did a Excel on many brands including Oceania, Regent, Viking, Celebrity Retreat, NCL Haven.  Under Oceania I did Penthouse and the level below it.  On Regent I did the same.   My goal was to attempt and I do mean attempt to get an apple to apple comparison.  The best value because it has the most A la carte options, was always Oceania.  Regent was always the highest. 

The term, you get what you pay for holds try.  We as consumer have to look at our budget, what we will utilize or not (This reference if you drink or not or if you do an excursion every port or not), the stateroom ect.  Regent being the most expensive seems to always have better everything (some exceptions so please understand my point) however is those extras with the premium.  Everyone has to make their own decision.  Just do your due diligence.  Really can't go wrong.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HiFi43 said:

GC…the sea bass in pastry for two in Jacques is special, so hopefully you will order it on your next visit…

Thanks very much.

I'm really glad this topic of the seabass for two at Jacques cropped up here.

I don't think we really even considered it in the past.

DH has taken quite a liking to fish on our last few trips (not cruises), and although I'm less enthusiastic about "fish", it's healthier than the "red meat" I often enjoy when dining out.

And I *love* the sea bass at Red Ginger. 🙂 

(Yes, I'll be getting that, too, of course!)

GC

• Like 1

A major factor in Regent’s favor is their low single supplement, 25% versus the more traditional 50% single supplement that I find on Oceania. I search Regent’s low single supplement itineraries, looking for the one with the lowest single supplement. I suspect that when I price out the itineraries on one or both of these cruise lines that the displayed price is not always correct. So I might call the cruise line to ask them to confirm the price.
The best values from my perspective are on trans oceanic cruises and repositioning itineraries. The cruise I took last month from Los Angeles to Lima Peru on Regent Mariner was a repositioning cruise . Almost 2 years ago I booked my first Regent reservation, from San Antonio Chile to Buenos Aires Argentina in February 2024. It features an included three day wine Chilean land tour prior to embarkation. I think it came out to more than $1000 per day in the lowest level state room. The lowest level state room on Regent is still fabulous. I did a quick back of the envelope comparison with a 50% single supplement Oceania itinerary and I didn’t think I was paying a lot more. It probably will be the last Regent cruise I go on. Prices are heading higher.

4 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

A major factor in Regent’s favor is their low single supplement, 25% versus the more traditional 50% single supplement that I find on Oceania. I search Regent’s low single supplement itineraries, looking for the one with the lowest single supplement. I suspect that when I price out the itineraries on one or both of these cruise lines that the displayed price is not always correct. So I might call the cruise line to ask them to confirm the price.
The best values from my perspective are on trans oceanic cruises and repositioning itineraries. The cruise I took last month from Los Angeles to Lima Peru on Regent Mariner was a repositioning cruise . Almost 2 years ago I booked my first Regent reservation, from San Antonio Chile to Buenos Aires Argentina in February 2024. It features an included three day wine Chilean land tour prior to embarkation. I think it came out to more than $1000 per day in the lowest level state room. The lowest level state room on Regent is still fabulous. I did a quick back of the envelope comparison with a 50% single supplement Oceania itinerary and I didn’t think I was paying a lot more. It probably will be the last Regent cruise I go on. Prices are heading higher.

Should add that if I travel on O, I almost always include the cost of bizclass air when comparing to Regent. Also the cost of excursions and drinks……of course.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 2:20 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Maybe it was just a kitchen mistake, and they were served a scallop instead! 😉

I also love the foie gras, a real treat.

But we've never tried the Seabass in puff pastry for two.  We've enjoyed other foods (not on Oceania) in delicate puff pastry.  We both are crazy about the glazed sea bass in Red Ginger.   How does the seabass compare between the Jacques and Red Ginger?

Ah, how we miss our traveling...

GC

When they serve it to you they will cut it for both plates. They may want to cut the "ends" of the fish & take them away. Don't let them do it!! There's still that wonderful sauce with the puff pastry. Too good to let any go to waste.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 8:08 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks very much.

I'm really glad this topic of the seabass for two at Jacques cropped up here.

I don't think we really even considered it in the past.

DH has taken quite a liking to fish on our last few trips (not cruises), and although I'm less enthusiastic about "fish", it's healthier than the "red meat" I often enjoy when dining out.

And I *love* the sea bass at Red Ginger. 🙂 

(Yes, I'll be getting that, too, of course!)

GC

Both are outstanding & perhaps the best dishes in the respective restaurants. Of course both are prepared quite differently. On our fist O trip in 2018. The Bass served was Chilean Sea Bass. Not sure if it is the same. either way I think you love them both.

• Like 2

I've cruised Oceania a dozen times and enjoy the food very much.

Does Regent have equivalent of these Waves items?

- Surf and Turf sandwich

- Milkshakes

- Smoothies including breakfast fruit/veggie

- Ice Cream: big selection + daily special

- Power Bowls

Or maybe there are some other special everyday items on Regent? 

I know the Surf and Turf is one of the best items because it seems to be ordered by every officer eating at Waves. Have seen 5 medical staff at lunch together all order it and a milkshake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, floatplan said:

I've cruised Oceania a dozen times and enjoy the food very much.

Does Regent have equivalent of these Waves items?

- Surf and Turf sandwich

- Milkshakes

- Smoothies including breakfast fruit/veggie

- Ice Cream: big selection + daily special

- Power Bowls

Or maybe there are some other special everyday items on Regent? 

I know the Surf and Turf is one of the best items because it seems to be ordered by every officer eating at Waves. Have seen 5 medical staff at lunch together all order it and a milkshake.

I was on Regent Mariner last month and although I did not order any of the items that you mentioned (except the ice cream), I do think I saw them all available.

On 12/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, Sthrngary said:

I did a Excel on many brands including Oceania, Regent, Viking, Celebrity Retreat, NCL Haven.  Under Oceania I did Penthouse and the level below it.  On Regent I did the same.

I think a fairer comparison would be an Oceania PH to a Regent Concierge D when on O Marina class versus R Explorer class.

The Regent PH is a bigger room with a separate living room with it's own TV. Eating area is separate.

The Concierge D does not have some perks like a butler, but does have a better bathroom that makes up some. It is one big room with a couch area like the O PH.

Edited by floatplan
#2 point

On 12/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, PhD-iva said:

Should add that if I travel on O, I almost always include the cost of bizclass air when comparing to Regent. Also the cost of excursions and drinks……of course.

You do know  you do not have to take either the "free" biz air and free land tours and get credits for both.  We do same -- but the opposite -- cruise only prices and add drinks or shorex's at $100 pp per day.

Because of uncertain air prices, Regent is hedging the costs of included prices with extremely high numbers.  Examples are Biz RT Australia/NZ of $9500 pp and Papeete RT is $10,000.   These are extremely high and tickets can be purchase today at 60% those numbers.

57 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

You do know  you do not have to take either the "free" biz air and free land tours and get credits for both.  We do same -- but the opposite -- cruise only prices and add drinks or shorex's at $100 pp per day.

Because of uncertain air prices, Regent is hedging the costs of included prices with extremely high numbers.  Examples are Biz RT Australia/NZ of $9500 pp and Papeete RT is $10,000.   These are extremely high and tickets can be purchase today at 60% those numbers.

Are you referring to air credit Regent gives you if you do not use their air? We are booked on Auckland to Syndney Regent Explorer in January 2024 and air credit is $7000 per person. Hard to find Business Class air for less than $10,000 per person on our own.

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

This might not be the case for all regions and destinations. For example, I checked a few random sailings to Europe from Canada, and air credit varies from $3,400 CAD to $4,150, average is around $3,800. Typical business class with Air Canada to Europe is currently around $5k, so below $4k might be considered a bargain.

But even if you take the air credit, a typical 10 nights cruise to Europe is around $13-14k, or just below $10k CAD after the air credit. To me this still too high compared to O where I can get the same cruise for $4-5k for entry level veranda. Yes, I know the cabin will be smaller, but on the newer ships it's still a very respectful 240 sqft.

11 hours ago, floatplan said:

I think a fairer comparison would be an Oceania PH to a Regent Concierge D when on O Marina class versus R Explorer class.

The Regent PH is a bigger room with a separate living room with it's own TV. Eating area is separate.

The Concierge D does not have some perks like a butler, but does have a better bathroom that makes up some. It is one big room with a couch area like the O PH.

@floatplan Now we are being somewhat hypothetical here however I really think it is a good exercise.  I attempted, key word attempted to creates an apples-to-apples comparison.  No matter how hard I tried, I knew it was difficult.  

I agree with you that the Oceania Penthouse is much more comparable to the Regent Concierge.  The many difference was the Regent Concierge did not have a butler.  Still, Regent was more expensive when you added to Oceania items that Regent provided.  I really don't think that is in the debate.  

The issue is with all things considered, is it worth the premium to go on a truly all-inclusive Mediterranean Cruise Brand. Is the extra one pays enough of an improvement or enhancement to pay it.  I am not going to answer that because it does not matter what I would do.  All that matters is know what you will receive or not receive by doing your due diligence.  Than make the decision based on your wants and needs.

If over the five or so years of looking at this personal dilemma, I have drawn several questions I had to answer to make a conclusion.  

1. I personally have a limited number of years left to do vacations like this.  
  2. Life is to short.
  3. Once the vacation is over, all we have are the memories.  It that worth the premium.
  4. Can I even afford the higher premium of Regents to begin with.
  5. Will I even notice the difference or know what I am missing because I had never done it before.
  6. If I am disappointed in the cruise, will that soar me based on the investment I made.

I have taken this question very seriously for quite some time.  Not everyone looks at these types of decision like I do because everyone is different.  For me, the process allows me to be ok with my decision.  Hope all that make sense.

Cruise well regardless of the brand or ship you decide on and enjoy every moment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

The issue is with all things considered, is it worth the premium to go on a truly all-inclusive Mediterranean Cruise Brand. Is the extra one pays enough of an improvement or enhancement to pay it.  I am not going to answer that because it does not matter what I would do.  All that matters is know what you will receive or not receive by doing your due diligence.  Than make the decision based on your wants and needs.

If over the five or so years of looking at this personal dilemma, I have drawn several questions I had to answer to make a conclusion.  

2. Life is to short.
  3. Once the vacation is over, all we have are the memories.  It that worth the premium.
  5. Will I even notice the difference or know what I am missing because I had never done it before.
  6. If I am disappointed in the cruise, will that soar me based on the investment I made.

I have taken this question very seriously for quite some time.  Not everyone looks at these types of decision like I do because everyone is different.  For me, the process allows me to be ok with my decision.  Hope all that make sense.

Cruise well regardless of the brand or ship you decide on and enjoy every moment.

We are facing a very similar dilemma, and it's really a personal choice and what's important to you.

After doing a few cruises on Oceania and Celebrity (and few others), we decided to try Silversea. To me, Oceania represents a huge step up with only a slight price increase compared to Celebrity/Princess, while SS is a slight step up with a huge price increase compared to Oceania. And Regent is even more expensive than SS all factors considered. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

2. Life is to short.

Thanks,well said with many wisdom!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, edgee said:

Are you referring to air credit Regent gives you if you do not use their air? We are booked on Auckland to Syndney Regent Explorer in January 2024 and air credit is $7000 per person. Hard to find Business Class air for less than $10,000 per person on our own.

in 2025 it is 9,500.   I think you will find some better fares once the airlines start increasing numbers of flights.  For late 2023 I was able to see some $8000 flights on Air NZ and some 8900 flights.  It is a roulette game right now.

My Japan 2024 cruise had a $4000 Biz class fare when booked a year ago.  The booking now has a $6000 fare.  Needless to say happy to take the air ticket and pay the $4K

Each person has their own choice and who knows how healthy one will be in 2 years.  We certainly are finding the cuisine of Regent far better than Oceania.  Terrace is the only difference which we like on O in the evenings after a long day of touring. 

Many people like to do private tours (which we occasionally do also). But if you compare tours and how they are organized, Regent has less people on a tour bus or boat.  Today was a zoo with Oceania.  They squeezed 76 people on our river Amazon boat.  (yes I know should have done a private tour)

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

have taken this question very seriously for quite some time.  Not everyone looks at these types of decision like I do because everyone is different.  For me, the process allows me to be ok with my decision.  Hope all that make sense.

IMHO doing analysis on paper/on line and comparing value of specific cabin categories across cruise lines has very limited value unless/until one actually tries the product.

• Like 3

We prefer Regent if we are going from USA to asia/australia.  The business class up grade for Oceania is much more. (included on Regent)

In  many other areas, such as South America, Regent's included (I do not like "free") shore excursions are a good value compared to the limited Oceania.

For other cruises, such as Caribbean,  all things considered, Oceania food is better.  Regent food is very good.  No complaints.

However, several meals at Oceania are MEMORABLE.  The sea bass at Red Ginger. The scallops gnocchi  at Jacques.  The pea vichyssoise at Jacques (where i first understood "depth of flavor") make us reconsidering Oceania.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1