First time cruiser on Dec 3 sailing of the Koningsdam and future Koningsdam cruise issues including customer service with HAL

TAW1963

Hello All,

Sorry for the long post...

I have been following this board for quite sometime and I am grateful for such a resource of experience HAL cruisers.  My wife and I booked the "All Irish Cruise 2023" on the Westerdam back in October.  We lived in the Seattle area for 16 years, but was never found the time to cruise.  We have since returned to Idaho. Having co-founded a high-tech business as a research scientist, I was often too busy for such travel.  After having our company acquired a few years ago, and being near retirement age, we find ourselves with much more time for traveling, even though I am still working in a consultant role.  The Westerdam All Irish cruise seemed a perfect way to start cruising, for we both love traditional Irish music and our 30th wedding anniversary is just a week prior.

After booking this cruise, I started watching literally dozens of Youtube videos about cruising, read this board, and studied deck plans over and over again.  I figured HAL was the best fit for us for us as an older, but not old, couple who are not into party ships and such.  We then decided to book a cruise on the Koningsdam scheduled for Dec 3 of this year, for it was inexpensive and a good way to see if cruising, and HAL, was something we would enjoy doing more of.  Perhaps I was too impulsive, but I also booked a Koningsdam cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii in October of next year, with a lovely aft-facing Veranda room.  It seem perfect for us.  However when we sailed in Dec, we had some hesitations on whether or not to keep the Hawaii cruise or not.  The ship was lovely, our embarkation was smooth, our veranda room was lovely, and our cabin stewards were fantastic, as was all the service on the ship.  We slept well and were very comfortable.  Our problem was with the food.  We could not get fixed dining for the MDR and we could not get reservations earlier than 8:15 pm on any of the days.  Being new, we were uncomfortable going to the MDR without reservations.  Thus, we ate at the buffet, the burger joint, the pizza joint and the Grand Dutch cafe, but did not try the specialty dining venues.  They were all to our liking except for the buffet.  We were so excited about trying the different foods, but nothing seemed prepared or cooked well.  The breakfast food was hit or miss with flat, gritty and hard pancakes, soggy french toast, hockey pucks for hash browns, and the omelet ingredients and taste were not all that great.  The bacon, other meats, and fruits were fine.  We soon lost our taste for it for breakfast.  The lunch seemed little better and the dinners were very disappointing. We both love pasta and our pasta dishes had soggy noodles and little taste to us, so we finally ended up eating burgers, pizza, or various items at the GDC.  I realize we did not sample all the varieties and it is just our opinion.  We ordered room service twice.  The first time the food was okay, but nothing great.  The second night we ordered room service, it was awful.  The food was cold, we had two different qualities of cheesecake plates, one good and the other absolutely awful and it took an hour and a half to get to us.  

As far as evening activities, we enjoyed the music walk venues and we enjoyed the Step One dance performances on the main stage, however we could see that a cruise with many sea days might get repetitive quickly.  As for daily activities, we didn't find much that we like doing, and when we did find something, we were disappointed.  We also had someone smoking pot on a balcony close to us, which was irritating, but not necessarily HALs fault.  We did report it.

Now to our dilemma.  Because of our mixed experience on the Koningsdam, we became concerned that we may have a difficult time with an Hawaii cruise with 10 or more sea days.  My wife was really concerned if we would enjoy the food.  We just didn't know. Thus, upon returning, I contacted HAL to see about canceling the cruise and applying the known, non-refundable, deposit, to a future credit or something else.  I was well aware it was non-refundable, but hoped HAL would be sympathetic.  I was willing to give the Koningsdam another try, so they told me I could apply the deposit to another cruise and we booked an inside passage cruise on the Koningsdam for May 2024, with another beautiful aft-facing veranda room.  They said the deposit would be applied from the previous $600 deposit.  Next day it did not appear, so I called again.  They said to give it 2-3 days for it takes a little while and to call back at the end of the week if it hadn't appeared on my account, which I did and was again told it showed in process so they extended the hold on the cruise a few days.  I called today and get a completely different story.  I was told that my deposit had to be applied to an equal, or more valued, cruise and the Alaska cruise did not qualify so nothing was in progress.  I had not been told this by any of the three representatives before, and I asked to speak to a manage.  After a bit of confusion, I was sent to a manager who was very kind and nice.  

The manager could not wave the rule, but offered to put me in an aft-facing Neptune suite on the Alaska cruise at the same price as our Hawaii cruise.  This was a little less than the available posted fares that I could find for Neptune suites on that sailing.   Otherwise we could reinstate the Hawaii cruise and wait to make a decision at a later date.  In the meantime, I have already booked another Hawaii cruise with Princess for next fall with a low, refundable deposit and a great aft-facing room.  Princess seemed to be the next best match for us.  After all this long-winded diatribe, we have a dilemma that I was hoping all you experienced HAL users could help with.  Will we enjoy the Neptune suite (we are not used to being pampered so much, but are open to trying it) and keep the Alaska cruise; should we stay with the Hawaii cruise on a very nice aft-facing Veranda; or should we just forget about them both and do the Princess Hawaii cruise?  We like to get value for our money and are not extravagant spenders.  

I should point out that the service employees on the Koningsdam were fantastic and we had no problem with any employees. 

Edited by TAW1963
typo

I think I would reinstate the Hawaii trip.  Can you get fixed dining applied to that reservation?  You really should have worked out dinner in the dining room on your last cruise.  I'm sure it would have added to your enjoyment of that cruise.  You don't need a reservation for open dining.  Just show up.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I think I would reinstate the Hawaii trip.  Can you get fixed dining applied to that reservation?  You really should have worked out dinner in the dining room on your last cruise.  I'm sure it would have added to your enjoyment of that cruise.  You don't need a reservation for open dining.  Just show up.  

Thanks so much for the reply and your thoughts.  We do understand that we didn't get the full experience without going to the MDR.  You are probably correct that it would have added to our enjoyment.   I made sure that we got fixed dining for both the Hawaii cruise and the Alaska cruise so that we would be better prepared.  We did have a nice time on the cruise.  It was a good learning experience, which is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Leave it as is.  Keep the Alaska cruise with HAL.  And, keep the Princess cruise to Hawaii.

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I kinda like your idea, for we are starting to think that the Neptune Suite on HAL may be an excellent way to see the Inside Passage to Alaska and Glacier National Park.  It sounds very appealing.  Onboard activities are probably are far less important.    I recently booked us on the Ruby Princess this spring for a Western Caribbean cruise.  I thought it would be good to experience both lines regardless of which Hawaii cruise we decide to take.  

Just now, TAW1963 said:

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I kinda like your idea, for we are starting to think that the Neptune Suite on HAL may be an excellent way to see the Inside Passage to Alaska and Glacier National Park.  It sounds very appealing.  Onboard activities are probably are far less important.    I recently booked us on the Ruby Princess this spring for a Western Caribbean cruise.  I thought it would be good to experience both lines regardless of which Hawaii cruise we decide to take.  

We had a Neptune Suite on an Alaska itinerary and it greatly enhanced our cruise.  Keep things as is and no more agonizing just anticipating!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, julia said:

@TAW1963

Hi: 

We sailed Ruby last year and were not too impressed (and we're elite on Princess). 

Also... we're in Eagle, where are you?

Hi Julia.  We are in Blackfoot.   Our scheduled Hawaii cruise on Princess is on the new Discovery.   Do you have any experience on these Royal ships?

16 minutes ago, madera1 said:

I also would highly recommend a corner aft Neptune suite for the Alaska cruise. Our family enjoyed the fabulous views from the balcony!

Thanks for the great recommendation. I think we are heavily leaning in that direction.    

53 minutes ago, Crew News said:

An aft-facing Neptune suite was my favorite photo-op stateroom for Alaska and they sell out quickly.  Grab one if you can and entertain 25 of your friends on the huge balcony.

Great recommendation Crew News.  Thanks! I can imagine how great the views are for Alaska.  

With a Neptune Suite you will have preferred dining, with a veranda you would have to also purchase Club Orange to have preferred dining (a separate dining room on newer ships and a separate entry to the main dining room on the older ships).  You usually have to booked fixed dining as soon as you book your cruise.  If you have anytime dining you can always talk to the maitre ‘d and work out a plan reserving a table for  eating at the early seating.   The only time we eat in the Lido is when we want a customized salad at the salad bar for lunch.

The 7 day cruises to Mexico or North to San Francisco are probably cheaper because they are “cookie cutter” repeating itineraries.  Not terribly exciting but a welcome change of pace for many.  The “All Irish Cruise 2023” will probably be a great cruise.  Holland America has planned some much requested unique itineraries like this for the future.  I don’t think you will be disappointed.  As far as Hawaii goes, can you handle 5-6 sea days in a row?  There will be more activities on the front end, then lots of port days around the islands, then fewer activities as you sail back to the mainland.

• Like 2

A benefit of the Neptune suite is the option of using Club Orange dining for breakfast/dinner (separate dining room/kitchen) which is likely to escalate your food experience, especially on the Koningsdam where the MDR is busy. The Neptune Lounge also offers snacks all day and a helpful concierge who will make any problems disappear. I took an upsell offer for a Neptune suite in the Caribbean and it was definitely worth it for many reasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WannaSea said:

A benefit of the Neptune suite is the option of using Club Orange dining for breakfast/dinner (separate dining room/kitchen) which is likely to escalate your food experience, especially on the Koningsdam where the MDR is busy. The Neptune Lounge also offers snacks all day and a helpful concierge who will make any problems disappear. I took an upsell offer for a Neptune suite in the Caribbean and it was definitely worth it for many reasons.

Great thoughts!  I was thinking the same thing.   We would never even have to think about fighting the buffet ever.  A quick burger or pizza would the be great for lunch.   

24 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

With a Neptune Suite you will have preferred dining, with a veranda you would have to also purchase Club Orange to have preferred dining (a separate dining room on newer ships and a separate entry to the main dining room on the older ships).  You usually have to booked fixed dining as soon as you book your cruise.  If you have anytime dining you can always talk to the maitre ‘d and work out a plan reserving a table for  eating at the early seating.   The only time we eat in the Lido is when we want a customized salad at the salad bar for lunch.

The 7 day cruises to Mexico or North to San Francisco are probably cheaper because they are “cookie cutter” repeating itineraries.  Not terribly exciting but a welcome change of pace for many.  The “All Irish Cruise 2023” will probably be a great cruise.  Holland America has planned some much requested unique itineraries like this for the future.  I don’t think you will be disappointed.  As far as Hawaii goes, can you handle 5-6 sea days in a row?  There will be more activities on the front end, then lots of port days around the islands, then fewer activities as you sail back to the mainland.

Thanks so much for the great insights and advice.  I think the preferred dining with the Neptune, as you mentioned, will help us quite a bit.   We are usually not ones to enjoy waiting in long lines to eat in large venues.     I think you are correct about the 7 day Mexico cruises and we should probably not extrapolate our one experience to all other itineraries.   We have been concerned about the amount of sea days on the Hawaii cruises.  However, it may help a workaholic like myself to relax (or drive him crazy)!  Thanks again.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

Great thoughts!  I was thinking the same thing.   We would never even have to think about fighting the buffet ever.  A quick burger or pizza would the be great for lunch.   

I only went to the Lido buffet twice in 10 days, got a made to order sandwich for a busy following day (stowed in room frig) and another later evening for dessert. Meant to sweep through for a morning pastry but was taken care of elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAW1963 said:

Hi Julia.  We are in Blackfoot.   Our scheduled Hawaii cruise on Princess is on the new Discovery.   Do you have any experience on these Royal ships?

Sorry...  no experience on the newer Princess ships, they are way too massive for us.

Edited by julia

2 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

Princess is great but the Royal ships have a couple issues - too many people and there is no promenade. 😒

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jawrs said:

Princess is great but the Royal ships have a couple issues - too many people and there is no promenade. 😒

The Discovery was in port with the Koningsdam in all three Mexico ports we went to. It is a large ship!  I was worried about the size as well, but even though the Koningsdam is much smaller, it seemed really crowded at times.  Lack of a promenade deck is a real negative.   We did enjoy walking around on the promenade on the Koningsdam.  I understand that it has been reduced compared to the older HAL ships.   

I am on the Koningsdam right now - a very full cruise.

I took club orange to upgrade my cabin category but honestly, the dining room there is a big surprise and a joy.  I would avoid the rush of the MDR and use CO.  You don’t have to be in a Neptune Suite if there is availability. You can buy it and of course if you are an NS, it’s automatic.

I have cruised HAL a lot but this is my first Pinnacle Class.  The ship is the fullest it has ever been and Club Orange is a great refuge.  

• Like 2