Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

Just a heads up - while nothing in life is guaranteed, the private tour companies that we have used are long time professionals and know about getting people back to their ships on time.  Bleep happens for sure, but they do make a serious effort - they know their entire reputation is on the line if someone or a group starts to complain loudly.

• Like 1

Question for all you who booked port side staterooms:

If you had it to do over would you pick one on the starboard side instead?   

Mike and I are 99% ready to book the Jan 24 WC on Sky and at the moment can have a select a DV on either side.  Typically we would pick starboard on a cruise heading west as we prefer a shady balcony to a sunny one and have found generally the room stays cooler on the side of the ship that doesn't face south or west during the heat of the day. 

Our conundrum is that the starboard side rooms still available tend to be located immediately adjacent to the elevator lobbies so we worry about the potential for noise.  

TIA for your thoughts as to how problematic the heat and sun on the port side (likely to be deck 4 or 5 midship-ish) was for y'all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Mike and I are 99% ready to book the Jan 24 WC on Sky and at the moment can have a select a DV on either side.  Typically we would pick starboard on a cruise heading west as we prefer a shady balcony to a sunny one and have found generally the room stays cooler on the side of the ship that doesn't face south or west during the heat of the day. 

Our conundrum is that the starboard side rooms still available tend to be located immediately adjacent to the elevator lobbies so we worry about the potential for noise.  

TIA for your thoughts as to how problematic the heat and sun on the port side (likely to be deck 4 or 5 midship-ish) was for y'all. 

This is so exciting!  Really glad to see that you guys are about to pull the trigger on this.  I know it's been on the bucket list for awhile now.  Good luck with your cabin selection.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

On a world cruise, it really doesn't make much of a difference because you will have land scenery on either side about half the time. We were on the starboard side and had beautiful views. Port had great views as well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mstadleraz said:

On a world cruise, it really doesn't make much of a difference because you will have land scenery on either side about half the time. We were on the starboard side and had beautiful views. Port had great views as well. 

I'm not worried about the views, our concern is how hot and humid it is going to be for the cruise and the impact of being on what I think will be the sunnier side of the ship.  

16 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I'm not worried about the views, our concern is how hot and humid it is going to be for the cruise and the impact of being on what I think will be the sunnier side of the ship.  

No escaping tropical weather when in the tropics!  9:30 am Rio, 2019 WC.  We were Starboard.  

IMG_3027.thumb.jpeg.35f6143ec0755adc8e559036983da93f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Typically we would pick starboard on a cruise heading west as we prefer a shady balcony to a sunny one and have found generally the room stays cooler on the side of the ship that doesn't face south or west during the heat of the day. 

Remember, below the equator it’s the north, not south.

27 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

No escaping tropical weather when in the tropics!  9:30 am Rio, 2019 WC.  We were Starboard.  

IMG_3027.thumb.jpeg.35f6143ec0755adc8e559036983da93f.jpeg

Agreed but you were heading east-wonder how much the hotter your balcony was in the sun than those on the port side. 

4 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Remember, below the equator it’s the north, not south.

Unfortunately, the Equator is not a factor in determining which side the Sun is on when heading West. It is based on the ship's Latitude in relation to the Sun's declination, which is basically the sun's Latitude.

The sun moves above and below the Equator to a maximum of 23 degrees 27 minutes, which are the Tropic of Cancer (N/Hemisphere) and Tropic of Capricorn (S/Hemisphere). Provided the ship is further north than the Sun, when heading West, the Sun will track along the port side. During the southern solstice in December, when the Sun is at the Tropic of Capricorn, if the ship was in the southern hemisphere at 5 degree south latitude, the Sun would still track down the port side, but if the ship's Latitude was greater than 24 S, the sun would track along the stb'd side, when heading west.

Even in the northern hemisphere, when heading west, the sun can track along the stbd side. During summer solstice in June, if the ship's Latitude is <23 N, the Sun will track along the stbd side.  

Clay,

We had a stbd side on our 1st WC and port side on the 2nd and didn't notice any real difference.

Figuring out which side gets the most sun is rather complex on a World Cruise, as you need to compare the ship's latitude to the sun's declination. When steaming towards Australia, the port side gets AM sun and the stbd side evening sun, but when heading north after Australia it is the reverse.

Basically, I suggest picking a cabin with the best location, as the sun will probably balance out. The only area I may take into consideration is the Red Sea, but that is only about 1 week. 

• Like 2

Hey Clay! So glad you're getting to do this cruise!

I think side matters a whole lot less on a world cruise. You'll spend a significant amount of time heading northish to southish and back again and much of your east-west time will be spent at or below the equator. So you're going to get some sun and some shade no matter which side you're on. 

I'd focus more on location (fore/aft) and what's above/below than side. 

One additional thought. I'd avoid staterooms too close to the laundry room - my sense is that door is a bit loud and the laundry will be used all hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Clay,

We had a stbd side on our 1st WC and port side on the 2nd and didn't notice any real difference.

Figuring out which side gets the most sun is rather complex on a World Cruise, as you need to compare the ship's latitude to the sun's declination. When steaming towards Australia, the port side gets AM sun and the stbd side evening sun, but when heading north after Australia it is the reverse.

Basically, I suggest picking a cabin with the best location, as the sun will probably balance out. The only area I may take into consideration is the Red Sea, but that is only about 1 week. 

Thanks!  

1 hour ago, RPapaMarshall said:

Hey Clay! So glad you're getting to do this cruise!

I think side matters a whole lot less on a world cruise. You'll spend a significant amount of time heading northish to southish and back again and much of your east-west time will be spent at or below the equator. So you're going to get some sun and some shade no matter which side you're on. 

I'd focus more on location (fore/aft) and what's above/below than side. 

One additional thought. I'd avoid staterooms too close to the laundry room - my sense is that door is a bit loud and the laundry will be used all hours.

You think the laundry room will be more noisy than the rooms that open directly to the forward or aft elevator lobby?

1 hour ago, NY Nick said:

Thanks 

23 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

You think the laundry room will be more noisy than the rooms that open directly to the forward or aft elevator lobby?

We were a few cabins down from the LR and never noticed anything.  I can't imagine the elevator area being that noisy.  Possibly only when the dinner bell rings, or the show lets out.  And even then, can't imagine it being more than 6-7 minutes worth of traffic.  I wouldn't put too much weight on it.  

• Like 3

Analysis Paralysis, IMHO.

We were in 5070 on the Neptune adjacent to the second elevator lobby. Viking cruisers are a well-behaved bunch, and we had no problem with noise whatsoever. Our '23 World Cruise was 121 days of pure cruising bliss. Thank you Viking! 

👩🏻🇨🇦🚢😎👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We were port side.  I found it really didn’t matter.  We got a spectacular view sailing into Sydney Harbor at sunrise, but not on the way out.  

23 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Clay, we were on the Sky in the spring.  Very near the elevator, but never heard any noise.  I am also thinking of booking this same WC, if I can just convince DH.  He thinks he has appeased me by booking a Nov River cruise, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, springtravel said:

Clay, we were on the Sky in the spring.  Very near the elevator, but never heard any noise.  I am also thinking of booking this same WC, if I can just convince DH.  He thinks he has appeased me by booking a Nov River cruise, lol.

Book it as a surprise?😂

Thanks for the elevator lobby info.  Right now we have a hold on a stateroom near but not too near the laundrette. Hope we can sell and transfer stock before it releases.  🤞

• Like 3

Hope you will be joining us on the Sky, Clay!   

On a completely different topic, we are seeking to do a private tour of the USS Arizona and related sites in Honolulu.  We are finding them available online, but wondering if anyone who was there on the 22/23 WC can recommend a particular guide?  or alternately is there anything we should avoid?  It also appears we could do this on our own for much less money but since this will probably our only time there, I'd like to make the most of it.  Any guidance appreciated, TIA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruising denise said:

Hope you will be joining us on the Sky, Clay!   

On a completely different topic, we are seeking to do a private tour of the USS Arizona and related sites in Honolulu.  We are finding them available online, but wondering if anyone who was there on the 22/23 WC can recommend a particular guide?  or alternately is there anything we should avoid?  It also appears we could do this on our own for much less money but since this will probably our only time there, I'd like to make the most of it.  Any guidance appreciated, TIA.

We just went to the USS Arizona on our own.  We Ubered there and back from the Neptune, no tour guide.  
The whole complex is VERY strict as to what you can bring in…..no bags at all (not even my small purse).  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

We just went to the USS Arizona on our own.  We Ubered there and back from the Neptune, no tour guide.  
The whole complex is VERY strict as to what you can bring in…..no bags at all (not even my small purse).  

Thank you so much for this info.  Do you feel that you missed out on anything by not having a guide, or were the sites well documented and explained?  Were you able to also go to the USS Missouri, which would be part of this tour?