Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

In one of the blogs today there was a pic posted of scuba divers entering the water around the Neptune. Then on the Viking FB feed a passenger said their ship was just denied access into NZ due to invasive snails on the hull of their ship and they were now cleaning them with scuba divers. I assume Viking is now diligently managing this issue - hoping we don’t become a victim of getting denied. 

2 minutes ago, Aspen&Birch said:

In one of the blogs today there was a pic posted of scuba divers entering the water around the Neptune. Then on the Viking FB feed a passenger said their ship was just denied access into NZ due to invasive snails on the hull of their ship and they were now cleaning them with scuba divers. I assume Viking is now diligently managing this issue - hoping we don’t become a victim of getting denied. 

Those divers would be professional marine service divers that work on ship's hulls. I have used divers for numerous underwater repairs, saving many trips to drydock,

Since the Neptune is so new, it isn't time for a hull survey, so I had the same first thought, in that they were checking the hull for invasive species.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wavetripper said:

An Additional 3 excursions were added to Eden AU.

Wishing A HAPPY NEW YEARS - EVERYONE 🥂 🍻 🍾 🥳

Thanks for the heads up. Booked a different excursion that we think is much more enjoyable and informative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mstadleraz said:

Thanks for the heads up. Booked a different excursion that we think is much more enjoyable and informative.

How does that work on board? MVJ doesn’t work on the ship. Does the Viking Voyager app notify you of new opportunities? Do you get a special notice or announcement?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

How does that work on board? MVJ doesn’t work on the ship. Does the Viking Voyager app notify you of new opportunities? Do you get a special notice or announcement?

All available shore-ex are also available to review and book on the cabin's telly. On past cruises, when new shore-ex are available, they send a notice to the cabins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

All available shore-ex are also available to review and book on the cabin's telly. On past cruises, when new shore-ex are available, they send a notice to the cabins.

Nope, our shore excursion offerings on the TV stop in LA, nothing after that.  We have received no notice for other excursions after LA in any other manner either.image.thumb.jpg.5e05df26d5f768aab13dd044ad0dfda6.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

Nope, our shore excursion offerings on the TV stop in LA, nothing after that.  We have received no notice for other excursions after LA in any other manner either.image.thumb.jpg.5e05df26d5f768aab13dd044ad0dfda6.jpg

Thanks Michelle - they are operating the same way as in 2020, when shore-ex were promulgated by segment. Since you have no segments this year, hopefully you will see every port fro L/A.

7 hours ago, Wavetripper said:

An Additional 3 excursions were added to Eden AU.

Wishing A HAPPY NEW YEARS - EVERYONE 🥂 🍻 🍾 🥳

Can you post a screenshot of what the new excursions are? I’m not able to see them either since we have already boarded and MVJ no longer works for us. 

2 hours ago, BeckySt said:

Can you post a screenshot of what the new excursions are? I’m not able to see them either since we have already boarded and MVJ no longer works for us. 

Sorry for the delayed reply, Mstadaleraz has got it right that is what I see as well.  

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Michelle - they are operating the same way as in 2020, when shore-ex were promulgated by segment. Since you have no segments this year, hopefully you will see every port fro L/A.

For the 21/22 WC, once we were aboard shore excursions updates and the opportunity revise or make new selections or revise your pre-embarkation selections were rolled out by segment typically a couple of weeks in advance of the segment. 

21/22 WC Segments:
01 Los Angeles
02 Cabo PV CostaRica Panama
03 Chile Uruguay
04 Mindelo Funchal Cadiz Gibraltar Malaga
05 Palma de Mallorca Cagliari Malta Corfu Kotor Split
06 Venice Zadar Dubrovnik Katakolon Nafplion Heraklion
07 Souda Bay Chania Crete
08 Jeddah Yanbu al-Bahr Saudi Arabia
09 Jordan Egypt Israel
10 Haifa Israel Nazareth Sea of Galilee
11 Rhodes Kusadasi-Ephesus Istanbul Athens
12 Naples Civiteccchia-Rome Livorno Monte Carlo Barcelona Cartagena Porto Portsmouth London

[Obviously the 22/23 WC will have a different collection of segments than we had on the 21/22 WC]

Paper copies of an updated shore excursion selection form and excursion descriptions were delivered to the stateroom by the room stewards/housekeeping.  The forms were delivered in order of stateroom category.  I seem to recall the ES’s received their forms in the morning or afternoon.  We were in a DV cabin and our excursion selection forms were generally delivered in the early evening in conjunction with the evening turndown service.  PS cabins received their forms sometime before us.  The marked-up forms were then to be delivered to guest services, where you could either turn them in to an excursion consultant, who would date and time stamp the form, or submit the form by placing it into a submission box.

It is my understanding that pre-cruise selections received highest priority in excursion assignments, then excursion allocations were based on submission order, but there may have been some stateroom category prioritization as well… but it seems that the delivery of the forms in order of stateroom category may have provided sufficient advantage to upper-level cabins because they had the opportunity to submit their updated forms hours before us.

Shore excursion tickets were delivered to the cabins a few days later.  We could then attempt to update our selections either by going to Guest Services or through the stateroom TV menu.  Only the current segment and the next upcoming segment, for which excursion updates were "open" were available for viewing/ updating on stateroom TV menu.

They did maintain a waiting list for shore excursions.  Anytime I didn’t initially get my first choice, eventually (generally within a few days) updated tickets were delivered to our cabin with my first choice selection.

[I previously posted most of this information under the pre-cruise planning forum #7258.]

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UWDawg said:

Paper copies of an updated shore excursion selection form and excursion descriptions were delivered to the stateroom by the room stewards/housekeeping.  The forms were delivered in order of stateroom category.  I seem to recall the ES’s received their forms in the morning or afternoon.  We were in a DV cabin and our excursion selection forms were generally delivered in the early evening in conjunction with the evening turndown service.  PS cabins received their forms sometime before us.  The marked-up forms were then to be delivered to guest services, where you could either turn them in to an excursion consultant, who would date and time stamp the form, or submit the form by placing it into a submission box.

Interesting. So if you weren't in your cabin, or didn't check it regularly, you might not know of new opportunities. And you might need to make a quick choice in order to get one that you wanted. 

There is no perfect way to roll the information out, but this seems ...awkward?  I don't typically spend a lot of time in my cabin and prefer to have a bit of time to discuss options with the hubby. I guess we'll see how it works in reality next year. 

Things are very dynamic, so of course - as you said - there is an opportunity to wait list.

17 minutes ago, KaySuth said:

Happy New Year everybody.  Looking forward to having our full world cruise contigent in LA.

To those sailing north up the pacific, happy new year. We leave Sydney on Saturday . Can’t wait. Cheers all. ✈️ 🛳️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JaMa1991 said:

For past world cruisers…i’m curious about whether Viking streams the Super Bowl on their big screen.  Packing my Cincinnati Bengals shirt and gear just in case☺️🥳🤞🏻🏈🐅

Yep. Last time on the MMT they streamed it . It’s quite popular in OZ so as we are in Geelong I’m sure a pub or even the Sailing club will have it on. The Geelong ‘Cats’ are the reigning Australian rules champions so you would fit right in.👍

• Like 1