Sailing from San Pedro via LGB

HogTide

Our family group of 10 is considering a June cruise from San Pedro.  I am looking at flights into Long Beach nonstop from Nashville and will greatly appreciate any recommendations/comments regarding transportation between the airport and port and any recommendations on hotels in the area.  Please offer any Pro/Cons on this approach.  Thank you for you consideration.

No cons…just a wonderful airport.

If you must go there (cons):

no Princess transfers, but much easier to get an UBER ride.

no 250,000 passengers like LAX this holiday season.

no porters, yet

TSA is a breeze

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HogTide said:

Our family group of 10 is considering a June cruise from San Pedro.  I am looking at flights into Long Beach nonstop from Nashville and will greatly appreciate any recommendations/comments regarding transportation between the airport and port and any recommendations on hotels in the area.  Please offer any Pro/Cons on this approach.  Thank you for you consideration.

LGB is a great,small airport. I grew up a mile from Long Beach airport and I fly there all the time to see family. There are quite a few hotels ( off the top of my head there is a residence Inn, staybridge suites,Hampton inn,homewood,courtyard by Marriott ,holiday inn ,Marriott ) all right near the Long Beach airport -stay at one of those ,some of them may even offer complementary transportation to the hotel.And then the next morning take an Uber or a Lyft ride to the San Pedro world cruise terminal ,easy.  Obviously with a group of 10,you’re going to need a couple Ubers or Lyfts . I’m not sure if there is a shared van ride service anymore ,but you could check into that with your party of 10 . No cons that I can think of. Lots of food places within a mile of the airport .

We always fly into Long Beach, we live in SF Bay Area and it is a great airport, easy to get out of.  Taking an uber to the port is less for the two of us than the Princess transfer would be.  If you have more luggage than you can handle by yourself, that could be an issue, but with a large group, you should be able to manage.

Uber or taxi. Decent hotels with shuttle service to the pier in San Pedro are the Crown Plaza and the Doubletree. There are a few others. There are also hotels in Long Beach. If you stay in Long Beach you would have to take Uber/Taxi to the port on embarkation day.  Depends on how long you want to stay pre-cruise what hotel you would select. 

• Like 1

We just disembarked the Crown Princess out of San Pedro.  We flew into Long Beach from Michigan at the recommendation of a friend who advised to avoid LAX at all costs.  We stayed at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro.  We used a Yellow Taxi to/from LGB to the hotel.  The cost going was about $75 including a $15 tip and the return trip to LGB was about $70 including a $15 tip.  This was our first trip through LGB and we will never fly through LAX again if it can be avoided.  LGB was a breeze.  Easy in, easy out.

• Like 1

LGB is a great little airport. We would fly into there if we could but we don’t have nonstops from where we live. We have often chosen the LGB area for a precruise day or 2 even when flying into LAX as there are much nicer hotels there, nice areas to walk near the water, bike rentals, etc. Much nicer than San Pedro for precruise. Uber is usually pretty reasonable to San Pedro.