2.00 $-dollar bills

LJRat

On 12/22/2022 at 3:52 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

Like all other US bills they clearly state on them "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private".  Anyoen who tings a $2 is fake is highly ignorant of the US monetary system.

Or they were born since, oh, 1995, and has hardly ever used cash or checks to complete transactions in their entire life.

On 12/25/2022 at 9:46 AM, graphicguy said:

IN THE U.S.A.  

You cruise outside the U.S., no store, restaurant, etc is obligated to recognize ANY U.S. money.  They do because it’s recognizable.  But, $2 bills are uncommon.  As such, Non-U.S. establishments may and do view those bills with healthy skepticism and usually turn them away.  

It’s happened to me, and have reports of it happening to others.

In brief, depending on the acceptance of $2 bills to use as legal tender for anything outside the U.S. is not a good idea.  Not sure why anyone would go out of their way to get and try to use $2 bills.

So they can brag about it on CC!!
You gave the server a two dollar tip. Not sure they’re going to jump up and down and yell about the transaction.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

Or they were born since, oh, 1995, and has hardly ever used cash or checks to complete transactions in their entire life.

Or they were born in Southeast Asia. I doubt they spend a lot of time in high school studying the US monetary system. 💵

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weltek said:

It's like "here look at this neat-o relic I'm giving you, ask me questions and tell me how cool you think it is."  

You do realize that they are still printed every year ?    So no relics.   I have a brand new stack of fresh 2.00 bills ready for my 29 day cruise in 8 days.     

you do you and I’ll do me.    It all gets spent the same way.  

BFC734A3-E64C-460D-AAFF-705D68893F65.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

You do realize that they are still printed every year ?    So no relics.   I have a brand new stack of fresh 2.00 bills ready for my 29 day cruise in 8 days.     

you do you and I’ll do me.    It all gets spent the same way.  

BFC734A3-E64C-460D-AAFF-705D68893F65.jpeg

Quo erat demonstratum! 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, complawyer said:

charles4515 while it can and does occasionally happen, what are the chances of running into the same staff member when youre  booked on another cruise on another/or even the same ncl ship.

there is probably no one on the staff that will remember you, goofball or otherwise.

and cruise5life, how much easier is it to carry 50 $2.00 bills as,  100 $1.00? since you wont need them all at once, leave a bunch in the cabin safe, and replenish as needed. if youre going to use them to tip any staff members,on the ship you can certainly carry a minimal amount wityh you

a final note, we were in venice, a few years back, and in marseilles, and they refused to take any american currency. only wanted euros. there was a beggar on the steps of a church in marseilles, and i tried to give him a $5.00 bill. even he didnt want u.s. currency.

as i said previously, i just like to hoard any 2's that come my way. no special reason, its just a quirk.

I have run into the same crew members across different ships. They did remember me.  If you are kind to people and tip generously they do remember you.Of course I tend to sail the same ships over and over so that helps too.

To anyone who wants to be remembered by crew and doesn't have a lot of cash to spare: I tip very modestly (15-20% additional for specialty dining, $2-5 cash after a few drinks at a bar, and $50-80 for room steward), but talk about normal things with crew and am kind, and some remember me. So, if that's your goal, don't feel like you need to leave a big tip (but absolutely do if you can and want to!!!) or have a clever trick to get them to remember you. Just be a good, normal human and they'll also appreciate that "real" connection.

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, weltek said:

To anyone who wants to be remembered by crew and doesn't have a lot of cash to spare: I tip very modestly (15-20% additional for specialty dining, $2-5 cash after a few drinks at a bar, and $50-80 for room steward), but talk about normal things with crew and am kind, and some remember me. So, if that's your goal, don't feel like you need to leave a big tip (but absolutely do if you can and want to!!!) or have a clever trick to get them to remember you. Just be a good, normal human and they'll also appreciate that "real" connection.

Agreed. I kept hearing on Cruise Critic that staff just don't remember customers. I was floored when staff in, and out, of the Haven remembered us, by name, from our previous cruise. From their greetings, it seemed they were happy to see us, rather than remembering us for less than good reasons. 

Your last sentence is perfect. So many people just need to remember that. Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I was floored when staff in, and out, of the Haven remembered us, by name, from our previous cruise

When I sailed the Bliss twice in 6 months both the solo host and the assistant CD from the first cruise recalled that I was on the ship earlier in the year.  Maybe not by name but they recognized me, or claimed to.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, cementhands said:

Yes, absolutely!

They will remember you as that $2.00 guy/gal!

I’ve been doing that for years. On Celebrity and Royal in Diamond lounge it works wonderful for better service. Not every drink but occasionally, well dispersed does the trick. Order em at the bank 🏦.

I always use these.  Went to Swans in Victoria years ago and included a $2 in my tip.  2 years later we stopped in and had a beer and I again left a $2.  The bartender remembered me and was quite impressed.  For me it is just fun to be different and watch the different reactions I get!

On 12/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

Why?  They are rare. special, or worth even 1¢ over face value.  Even the very old twos are not worth a thing unless professionally graded at an extremely high grade.

The older red seal two's worth min $3ea in Ave circ condition.