Music walk chases us away from HAL

IJustWantToGo36

14 minutes ago, robotpony said:

We were chatting with the Rolling Stone room band on the NS last month and they mentioned that they have a rotating set of more than 100 songs, and that they were adding 2-3 a week (with a goal of ~200 songs). For that 14 days, there were some classics repeated but every show was about 50% "new" music. It feels a lot the same as it's still the same band, but there was some good variety too.

100 songs is about 6 to 7 hours of music.  Basically maybe a week long cruise of play time.  Lincoln Center is even more limited with really only about 5 unique programs.  The programming is pretty much set up for a week then repeat.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:09 AM, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Just off the Rotterdam we had a great cruise ,  but decided to cancel our 14 day transatlantic  on Stantendam

everything was great  except the music walk.   Between the loud  rock band  and incredibly loud blues band, 
  deck 2 from front to  midship  was painful just to cross

A drink and quiet conversation was only possible when the dueling pianos were playing.

Couples dancing and ballroom dancing basically nonexistent (ED  did try  to put ballroom dance times in the schedule but they were not conducive to attend.

I think HAL  is pushing to the younger  market,  but having talked to many people I think the losing the core customer at least in  Pinnacle Class.

Not much the onboard crew  can do ,  because these decisions come from corporate.

A real shame because we love the ship

I liked having the classical music down near the Dining room

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ldtr said:

100 songs is about 6 to 7 hours of music.  Basically maybe a week long cruise of play time.  Lincoln Center is even more limited with really only about 5 unique programs.  The programming is pretty much set up for a week then repeat.

What they told us is out of the 100, they choose what they like to play (or can play together well) so it's really not 100 that they play. We found out of 3- 45 min set, say they play 12 songs each, more than half of them would be the same each night in RS Rock Room. But the musicians were excellent (especially since only 2 out of 5 had ever played together before) and when they liked a song, it showed in performance. The Billboard was worse with same songs and same script each night. Would have been better to have a radio on, then maybe you would get 100 songs (But then even the radio overplays depending on marketing and promotion. 🤨

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ldtr said:

100 songs is about 6 to 7 hours of music.  Basically maybe a week long cruise of play time.

The BB King and Rolling Stone bands generally do three 45-minute sets each night, with one night a week off.  That's about 13 hours of play, so you can see why people who really like them and attend every night complain (or at least note) the repetition.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, Reds4life said:

We are in our 40s and getting ready to go on our first HAL cruise. We have been very confused about why the main stage is not scheduled to be used. We like music but not the so called "intimate" setting of these music walk venues. We see it as a crowded bar. That does not appeal to us. Other lines have the same dueling pianos and other venues with music like the music walk, but they also have a main stage show each evening. Plus, movies by the pool, games shows, etc. We like to do things with our kids in the evening after dinner because it is our time when everyone comes together and we discuss our day and plans for tomorrow and then spend some common time. Most of our days on the ship, we are all scattered about. If the people in the music walk are talented, then why not bring them to the main theater for more people to watch?

From your comments, I don't think HAL would be a good fit for you and your family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:41 AM, VMax1700 said:

You didn't like it, so you need to find another cruise line.  We and many others love it.

By definition, Rock music should be loud!  Can you imagine the complaints if Jumpin' Jack Flash was performed pianissimo? 😉

There are plenty of other locations for a quiet drink and conversation even on the same deck without crossing the music walk.

We love the Music Walk and now will probably only sail on Pinnacle class.  But then we are the younger target market being in our early 70's 🤣

We are in the same “Target Market “ as you.  We are actually going back to HAL in January because of the music walk. Our last few Caribbean cruises have been on Crystal (no longer here) and Oceania.  We found Oceania lovely with great food.  However, when doing the Caribbean, we love the entertainment at night.  Since the Caribbean isn’t port intensive for us, we love the choice of entertainment on HAL.  Our last HAL cruise was in 2016 on the Koningsdam and we are looking forward to the Rotterdam.  I’m not saying this with malice, but the OP might enjoy Oceania.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 6:18 AM, AKJonesy said:

When sailing on Rotterdam, it's important to get a stateroom pretty far away.  I thought we'd be safe from Music walk with our last cruise on RD, but the boom boom boom of the music was still heard.  It was not enough to drive us nuts, but I made note that next time on RD, we need to get a stateroom even further away.  

Actually when sailing on any ship, it's important to have a cabin far away from ANY source of noise, whether it be the music venues, Lido deck dining/pool areas, etc., etc. Which is why we always book a cabin on a deck 'sandwiched' between passenger decks above and below ours.. nice and quiet during sleep time 🙂

Curious as to which cabin you had on Rotterdam..

• Like 3

On 12/22/2022 at 6:43 AM, albingirl said:

The quality of music on the ships is debatable.  I would love to see some live music by the pool every day, and the music in the Ocean Bar is sadly missing.  I've never had a cabin that is disturbed by the sound of music, and I wish there was more music, not less.

Wait, they're showing 'The Sound Of Music' onboard HAL ships now too?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Actually when sailing on any ship, it's important to have a cabin far away from ANY source of noise, whether it be the music venues, Lido deck dining/pool areas, etc., etc. Which is why we always book a cabin on a deck 'sandwiched' between passenger decks above and below ours.. nice and quiet during sleep time 🙂

Us too.  We always select a cabin away from any venues.  
That’s why we shy away from guaranteed staterooms.

• Like 4

On 12/22/2022 at 10:44 AM, Copper10-8 said:

Love both those rooms and the bands that play in them and, by the looks inside/trying to find a seat. so do many others. The vocalists and musicians in both bands are really good and I grew up with disco 😉 

Saturday Night Fever von John Badham, John Travolta Karen Lynn Gorney, John  Travolta, Karen Lynn Gorney, Barry Miller, Joseph Cali, Paul Pape mit John  Travolta, Karen Lynn Gorney, Barry Miller, Joseph Cali,

HA! If the folks in the picture (yes I know who they really are), had white hair, it would look exactly like the Rock Room or BB King's on any given night on HAL Pinnacle ships!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Wait, they're showing 'The Sound Of Music' onboard HAL ships now too?

That would be considered a new show by many HAL cruisers :).  For some, anything newer than Glenn Miller is too modern.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sea42 said:

From your comments, I don't think HAL would be a good fit for you and your family.

You might be right. We will see in a few days. This cruise was the same price for a suite for 5 days and RCCL inside for 4. So we decided to check it out. I honestly don't know if we will like it or not. We don't really always like the evening main theater entertainment on RCCL or MSC but can count on them to make an effort to provide SOMETHING and not just bar singers and act like it is unique with a fancy name. That seems rather lazy on HAL and makes me wonder why the cruise was cheap. I guess we will see very soon. 

Edited by Reds4life

Of course that people have different preferences.  On this website the only thing we are all likely to have in common is our liking of cruising. 

We have almost 600 nights at sea on 11 different cruise lines. Until very recently we’ve cruised on HAL only twice before, in 2013 and 2014, on the Maasdam (49nts), and on the Amsterdam (78nts). Both were great cruises with fantastic itineraries, great food,  great service.

However, every night we’d struggle to stay awake during the after-dinner entertainment. 

A couple of months ago we returned to HAL, a port intensive back-to-back Boston/Quebec City, on the Nieuw Statendam.  And only a couple of weeks later we had signed on for two more HAL cruises, on the Rotterdam to the Caribbean. 

To the Caribbean!…practically our backyard, where we typically cruise several times a year…on boring HAL? Yep, because our expectation is that we will find our upcoming Rotterdam cruise to be as much fun as was our experience on the NS. 

The phenomenal Step One dancers at the World Stage, the BBC Earth in Concert, the Billboard on Board with Gabe and Meghan at the pianos, the entire Music Walk atmosphere…the Rolling Stones, B.B. King Blues…We would eat earlier than our usual time and then go from one venue to the next, not at all sleepy…the music must have been exactly loud enough in each venue to please the crowds of people packed in them to standing room only. Because otherwise they would have left.

The Lincoln Center Stage, featuring music virtuosos performing favorite classics at a much lower volume, was never crowded that we saw during our cruise, but a very small minority of people preferred it. 

There are lots of options on Caribbean cruising. To maximize their profits all the cruise lines competing there have to appeal to the greatest number of potential customers.  I’m sure they study and compare and evaluate all those factors very carefully. What we get is what their well paid consultants on the subject recommend. We may be in it for the fun, but they’re in it for the money.  Obviously. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I always download the pdf and look at that before booking but on that sailing on RD we were two floors up from Music Walk and above The Shops.  We booked sort of last minute but thought that stateroom would be good.  It was ok but Music Walk is pretty loud so next time at least another floor up or further away.  

• Like 1

"The Lincoln Center Stage, featuring music virtuosos performing favorite classics at a much lower volume, was never crowded that we saw during our cruise, but a very small minority of people preferred it. "

We found exactly the opposite. Lincoln Center Stage usually full to overflowing. Wish they performed more in the evening....

We don't do the Carribean.

Edited by Tennessee Titan
  • Like 1

One of the issues with music walk is that the venues are optimized for the music, and are not good for other ship board activities, such as trivia. I guess HAL addresses that problem by having relatively other activities, atleast compared to other cruise lines.

Edited by ldtr

On 12/24/2022 at 12:57 PM, JennysUncle said:

The BB King and Rolling Stone bands generally do three 45-minute sets each night, with one night a week off.  That's about 13 hours of play, so you can see why people who really like them and attend every night complain (or at least note) the repetition.

There doesn't have to be repetition, but I can understand when a band does have to repeat songs in a week. As an amateur guitarist I like to talk to the Rock Room musicians when I can. More than one band has told me about the process that HAL uses for bands. HAL uses a 3rd party company to screen and supply the RSRR bands onboard, and that the process works like this according to several of the band members I've talked to:

1. 3rd party company advertises to recruit musicians

2. Musicians apply, and submit brief video of them playing couple of songs

3. If interested, the 3rd party recruiter invites musicians to live interview on Zoom or similar platform, where they play a couple more songs provided by 3rd party on short notice

4. If accepted, musician invited to 3rd party's HQ in New York I believe, where they are paired up with the others to be in their group. In almost all cases, this will be the first time the band members meet each other. 

5. The newly formed group is given the master list of around approved 500 songs from which they are to select their set lists. They only get around 2 weeks rehearsal time at HQ before they have to report to their ship and start playing in the RSRR 

So again they get to make their own set lists from the universe of around 500 approved songs. If they are early on their contract, then you would not expect them to have learned 13 hours of music in such a short time. So that's when you would likely see repetition - when the band hasn't yet had time to learn enough songs to avoid duplication in a week (or more). 

I'm just happy to see the quality of bands they provide with so little rehearsal time; its pretty amazing. I know there's no way I could learn anywhere close to 100 songs in 2 weeks, much less learn them well enough to play as well as the bands I typically see in the RSRR.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 10:49 AM, ldtr said:

Problem with music walk if you book a lot of cruises is that they play basically the same program, approved by HQ with little variation from cruise to cruise.  For example in Lincoln Center the only time they can deviate from the approved program is if one of them is ill and they have to substitute music.  

A few years ago we did a Panama cruise on Oosterdam. The band in BB King’s had a repertoire of 10 songs. On a 26 day cruise that got old real fast! Recently we were on Koningsdam twice. Great talent and a much bigger repertoire! Much better! They were great. The dance floor was packed frequently.