Dubrovnik or Cavtat?

jc522

2 hours ago, jc522 said:

On our March cruise, we have a choice of doing a walking tour of Dubrovnik or a bus to Cavtat and Ljuta. Any preferences?

My preference would be spending the entire day in Dubrovnik.

Even though I have been a number of times, I can still spend an entire day. Normally start walking the wall, which is easily 2+ hrs, with lots of stops for photos, enjoying the vistas and refreshments. We then wander the narrow streets of the old town and around the harbour.

I agree with Andy.  The whole day in Dubrovnik.  We loved the town including a relaxing time with pizza and wine.  Having said that, I must admit that I was once part of the get off the boat first group and overfill the day.  Now that I take a slower pace I find my level of enjoyment and satisfaction has increased.

Do what you want, cruise your own cruise.  But keep in mind that with no sea days this itinerary can be exhausting 

It may depend on how many other ships are in port.   We had one cruise in high season.  5 ships.  We had been to Dubrovnik before so we walked through down to the dock hopped on a boat to Cavtat and ended up having a great peaceful afternoon.  Once you see those waters you understand where the expression crystal clear comes from. 

This was also 10 yrs ago so Cavtat may have changed

Edited by sfocruiser

We will be stopping in Dubrovnik for a second visit next year. For better or worse, it is one of my husband's very favorite places (mine too, I guess). Cavtat looks very inviting, but I am not sure even with arm twisting I could convince him to forego a chance to see Dubrovnik again! Perhaps if he didn't need to walk the wall again, we could do both.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 9:53 AM, philw1776 said:

More to see in Dubrovnik. Cavtat is small but gorgeous. Nice easy oceanside walk out of Cavtat town.

Do both. AM & PM.

We booked the Dubrovnic Walking Tour. It's guided, but I think there is also time on our own. I'd consider booking both Dubrovnic and Cavtat, but that might be too busy on this cruise where there is an excursion every day for 13 days and no at sea days. Thanks to all for the advice.

5 hours ago, jc522 said:

We booked the Dubrovnic Walking Tour. It's guided, but I think there is also time on our own. I'd consider booking both Dubrovnic and Cavtat, but that might be too busy on this cruise where there is an excursion every day for 13 days and no at sea days. Thanks to all for the advice.

If they run that excursion the same way it was when we took it five years ago, they will be running shuttles regularly during the day back to the ship. After we completed the Walking Tour, we told the guide we would return on our own later by shuttle. Then we went and  bought tickets to walk the wall (exhausting but truly stunning) and followed that up with a nice relaxing lunch in a local restaurant. 

On 12/23/2022 at 7:59 PM, sfocruiser said:

It may depend on how many other ships are in port.   We had one cruise in high season.  5 ships.  We had been to Dubrovnik before so we walked through down to the dock hopped on a boat to Cavtat and ended up having a great peaceful afternoon.  Once you see those waters you understand where the expression crystal clear comes from. 

This was also 10 yrs ago so Cavtat may have changed

We did the same thing. Dubrovinik was very crowded and it was our second time there so we hopped the ferry to Dubrovnik and toured Dubrovnik in the afternoon when the other cruise ships left port. Our ship stayed later so it worked for us.