Gala nights dress code for men

barbon2

19 hours ago, Reds4life said:

Do you guys wear jackets in the Caribbean? If so, why? It is pretty warm.

Not as warm in the dining room as it is outdoors. The A/C is on, and in some areas of the room it can get quite cool at times. As the room fills up, and body heat adds to the temperature over time, it does get a little warmer. 

19 hours ago, Reds4life said:

People get married on the beach and don't wear that stuff.

You won't be ON the beach. You will be in an elegant dining room with tablecloths and fine china. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

On my recent cruise, on dressy night, I saw a man wearing a long sleeved burgundy colored shirt, a navy tie and navy Bermuda shorts (the longer to the knee shorts). I thought he looked quite classy and was about to tell him so until he turned into the elevator lobby.

Exactly. Not everyone not wearing a suit and tie are running around in swim trunks and tank tops. In 2022 you can dress very nicely and still be comfortable. 

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

Not as warm in the dining room as it is outdoors. The A/C is on, and in some areas of the room it can get quite cool at times. As the room fills up, and body heat adds to the temperature over time, it does get a little warmer. 

You won't be ON the beach. You will be in an elegant dining room with tablecloths and fine china. 

I agree with you  Ruth  But some kids don't get it ..

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 10:56 PM, Reds4life said:

Do you guys wear jackets in the Caribbean? If so, why? It is pretty warm. I am a professional person with two post graduate degrees and don't understand the logic in that. You can look just as "nice" without a jacket. People get married on the beach and don't wear that stuff. A jacket isn't really a ticket to elegance 

I wear jackets all the time, because they look good.  When dressed in a suit or jacket, you are showing respect to the people that you encounter and establishment that you patronize, there is no replacement for it.  A man just can't look "as nice", it's common sense that I did not need 2 degrees or logic to figure out. 

People wearing tank tops, baseball caps, shorts and other gear at a fine dining establishment  don't care about this, so why are you worried?  If you worry, just dress up vs giving us that do grief for it.  Your other alternative is to dress as you wish.  Not very hard is it?

You seem to have more of a problem with people that dress up vs the dressy people wanting others to cover their body in a fine dining establishment.

If the captain shows up to the MDR do you think that he will be in jeans and a tshirt?

I will push it on my cruise.  I will try a sport coat, then western wear, then shorts.  I will report my findings.

• Like 1

Granted, I only have 14 nights with HAL, but the most egregious dress I've witnessed is a couple in their 70s who wore their robes to the Lido breakfast. Complete with open-toe sandals, exposed varicose veins on their calves, and attached oxygen tanks.  Probably 4 or 5 star mariners too.  So the pro-dressy forum members better be careful who they lambaste...

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, Reds4life said:

I would love to. Will I have the privilege of eating with the elite if I wear normal Caribbean vacation clothing?

Sure, as long as you don't wear it in the MDR for dinner, especially on Gala night.

15 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I wear jackets all the time, because they look good.  When dressed in a suit or jacket, you are showing respect to the people that you encounter and establishment that you patronize, there is no replacement for it.  A man just can't look "as nice", it's common sense that I did not need 2 degrees or logic to figure out. 

People wearing tank tops, baseball caps, shorts and other gear at a fine dining establishment  don't care about this, so why are you worried?  If you worry, just dress up vs giving us that do grief for it.  Your other alternative is to dress as you wish.  Not very hard is it?

You seem to have more of a problem with people that dress up vs the dressy people wanting others to cover their body in a fine dining establishment.

If the captain shows up to the MDR do you think that he will be in jeans and a tshirt?

I will push it on my cruise.  I will try a sport coat, then western wear, then shorts.  I will report my findings.

Jackets in warmer climates are not necessary to be dressy is my point. This isn't Miami Vice or the 1980s. Looking nice is a matter of opinion anyways. People should be able to wear whatever they want since they are on vacation. It shouldn't be an old time fashion show to eat a decent meal. If the captain showed up dressed like the guy you folks had a snicker about then I would respect him just as much. It's about his accomplishments and intellect not his outfit. This represents a sad generation of elitist people that care more about looks than character. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Sure, as long as you don't wear it in the MDR for dinner, especially on Gala night.

That's not what HAL guest services says. I called them and they said all this is suggested and I can wear whatever I want as long as I am clothed. I never planned on wearing tank tops and swim trunks (although maybe to the buffet at lunch). No ball caps or PJs.  Just a polo or tee and shorts and maybe khakis just like I would to any restaurants on vacation in a warmer climate. Imagine that, I can dress comfortably and still sit beside you slicked up folk. Hmmmm

1 hour ago, Reds4life said:

Just a polo or tee and shorts

As I mentioned... not at dinner, regardless of what you may have heard from someone on the telephone.

From HAL's current FAQ on their website:

"Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted."

Yes, you can choose to wear whatever you want, including shorts in the MDR at dinner, but you will be in direct violation of their published dress code.... your choice.

Edited by KroozNut
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, bdd123 said:

It seems to me that you are mixing requirements and recommendations.  From the HAL website.

• When suggested attire is Casual smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in table service restaurants.
  • When suggested attire is Dressy we take it up a notch and recommend slacks, skirts, dresses, blouses, collared shirts and jackets.

It is specifically stated that shorts, swimsuits, tank tops for men and old jeans are not permitted in table service restaurants.  There really shouldn't be a question about wearing these items.  However the implication that jackets or fancy dresses are required on Dressy nights just isn't true.  It's only a recommendation and people can wear whatever makes them feel comfortable as long as the clothing is not specifically prohibited.  

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

It seems to me that you are mixing requirements and recommendations.  From the HAL website.

• When suggested attire is Casual smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in table service restaurants.
  • When suggested attire is Dressy we take it up a notch and recommend slacks, skirts, dresses, blouses, collared shirts and jackets.

It is specifically stated that shorts, swimsuits, tank tops for men and old jeans are not permitted in table service restaurants.  There really shouldn't be a question about wearing these items.  However the implication that jackets or fancy dresses are required on Dressy nights just isn't true.  It's only a recommendation and people can wear whatever makes them feel comfortable as long as the clothing is not specifically prohibited.  

I did not mix up anything.  I didn't quote the dress code.  I never implied anything about having to wear a jacket according do dress code.

11 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Granted, I only have 14 nights with HAL, but the most egregious dress I've witnessed is a couple in their 70s who wore their robes to the Lido breakfast. Complete with open-toe sandals, exposed varicose veins on their calves, and attached oxygen tanks.  Probably 4 or 5 star mariners too.  So the pro-dressy forum members better be careful who they lambaste...

I guess you've never cruised before and haven't cruised Carnival or NCL if you think a couple in their 70's wearing robes is the worst you've seen!  🤣  Everything I'm reading it's the Non-Dressy Cruisers here that are doing the lambasting!  In all seriousness I hope someday you don't have to have Oxygen Tanks but more power to that couple that they are out still doing what they enjoy doing!  Cruising! 

Edited by idiebabe

I have been cruising for 44 years. Back then it was a jacket every night. Things have definitely changed. While I'm glad I don't have to wear a jacket every night now, I don't think slacks and a shirt are too much to ask. We just got off of a cruise and it was the first time I didn't take a jacket or tux. I will take a jacket for dressy nights on our next cruise. I didn't see any shorts or wife beaters on dressy nights but I didn't see everyone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I doubt it.  I think he would be wearing a different uniform than on the bridge and if he goes to the main dining room it will either be his formal uniform or a uniform different than his daily.

My point was that he will be in uniform... in response to your question in a previous post to the effect of 'will the captain be in jeans and a t-shirt if he comes to the MDR'?

The obvious answer to your question is that he wouldn't be, so it's a rhetorical question. Which uniform he might be wearing is really beside the point..

10 hours ago, Reds4life said:

That's not what HAL guest services says. I called them and they said all this is suggested and I can wear whatever I want as long as I am clothed. I never planned on wearing tank tops and swim trunks (although maybe to the buffet at lunch). No ball caps or PJs.  Just a polo or tee and shorts and maybe khakis just like I would to any restaurants on vacation in a warmer climate. Imagine that, I can dress comfortably and still sit beside you slicked up folk. Hmmmm

No one cares what you wear red. 

We keep posting the recommendations of HAL on dressy code.  The dressy code is documented. 

We also recommend our opinion of dress code. You take objection to these comments because you think that you are conversing Elitist when we are really just people having fun, dressing up and making the most of our vacation, that *could* be our last.  

What GS recommends is whatever will make you happy, they are giving you their opinion, not linking or reading HAL documented dress codes... like us.

Just go for your best convenient attire that is comfortable|, simple.

"Wear what you want" is not anywhere in their recommendations.  Perhaps HAL might start charging for a WWYW package.  😉 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We may be a bit older souls, but my wife and I dress up. I'm 42 and she's a few years younger, but I always wear a suit and tie on formal/gala/whatever nights and generally still wear a jacket and dress shirt on the other nights. She always enjoys the chance to dress up and will wear a dress, accordingly. We will be taking our 3rd HAL cruise this coming summer and plan to continue dressing along those lines.

• Like 7