COVID testing requirements for boarding in Buenos Aires

Lojay2

What are the testing requirements for boarding for this upcoming South America season? I looked at the website and could not find anything listed for Argentina.

Looking to travel to Buenos Aires a few days early and depending on the boarding requirements will have to set up a proctored test and or self test and take a picture. 

Please shed some light on this 

Thank you  

Have a friend who went to BA for 5 days prior to a cruise. She had to test before boarding the ship. Tested positive and was denied boarding.  Quanantined in BA and then flew home.  The testing requirement is not to arrive in BA via air but to board any cruise ship.  You won't find a website outlining rules for cruise ships.  Often they are more strict then for land visitors.

On 12/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, Lojay2 said:

What are the testing requirements for boarding for this upcoming South America season? I looked at the website and could not find anything listed for Argentina.

Looking to travel to Buenos Aires a few days early and depending on the boarding requirements will have to set up a proctored test and or self test and take a picture. 

Please shed some light on this 

Thank you  

There is no testing requirement for Argentina (currently), however each cruise line has their own policies. You would need to check with who you are sailing on. 

• Thanks 1

It depends. We are on a 14 day sailing in February, and, according to Princess, we do not need to test prior to arrival. However, there are longer sailings that do. In fact,  one that can be either 14 day or 32 days is requiring testing for all since the itinerary can be booked as either the 14 or 32 day. My advice check with your cruise line.

27 minutes ago, scottjeanne said:

We needed a test to arrive in USA last March.  there is a testing site at the airport.  It may entail returning to the airport to get the timing right for your embarkation.

The US dropped COVID testing requirements for incoming international air travelers more than six months ago so it's possible the testing site is no longer operating.

Edited by njhorseman

I was not concerned about coming back to the US, my question was about boarding in BA for the cruise on the Infinity.

I know there is no testing on the Infinity this week for the cruise to Patagonia but that boards in Chili (friend on that cruise)  At this point since nothing is on the Celebrity website and on the Argentina website it states that no testing is required to enter the country, that its not going to be an issue unless something changes in the next 90 days. 

On 12/31/2022 at 4:28 AM, Lojay2 said:

That’s my problem, nothing is listed for Argentina 

2 hours ago, Lojay2 said:

I was not concerned about coming back to the US, my question was about boarding in BA for the cruise on the Infinity.

I know there is no testing on the Infinity this week for the cruise to Patagonia but that boards in Chili (friend on that cruise)  At this point since nothing is on the Celebrity website and on the Argentina website it states that no testing is required to enter the country, that its not going to be an issue unless something changes in the next 90 days. 

If the cruise line doesn't have a testing requirement and the country doesn't have a testing requirement why do you think you have a problem?

No one can say what the rules will be 90 days from now.

On 12/29/2022 at 4:36 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Have a friend who went to BA for 5 days prior to a cruise. She had to test before boarding the ship. Tested positive and was denied boarding.  Quanantined in BA and then flew home.  The testing requirement is not to arrive in BA via air but to board any cruise ship.  You won't find a website outlining rules for cruise ships.  Often they are more strict then for land visitors.

Which cruiseline did your friend cruise with and when did your friend cruise?

I feel your pain.  We are cruising on Costa Fortuna out of Buenos Aires, Argentina in March and I am getting mixed signals/answers.   Basically, some places say in order to take a cruise out of South America, ALL ADULTS must have a COVID test at least 24 hours pre-embarkation or they will be denied boarding however, I was looking at this cruise on another website and it specifically says that COVID testing is only required for those who do not have vaccines and boosters and vaccinated adults do not need pre-cruise tests.   We are fully vaccinated and have had 3 boosters each at this point with our most recent one being in October. 

The Costa website and emails are not helpful and simply say they are staying on top of the changes.  Umm... okay... but we are like 60 days out at this point.    When it gets closer to time, I suppose I will call them.   The thing with us is...  we embark the boat around 4pm (???) I don't know... at some point on March 10th we will be allowed onboard.  Our flight arrives into Argentina at 7am that morning (debarkation/sailing time was moved from 4pm to 7pm).  We don't know how early we can get onboard the ship on the 10th.... but we leave Miami (straight flight) at 8pm THE EVENING PRIOR so  If we are going to get a COVID test, we'll have to do it in the Miami airport around 2-4pm or so??  I mean... that's more than 24 hours or we will be possibly cutting it really close.... but we have no other choice.  Unless they are going to offer COVID tests at embarkation, this all seems like a mess.   

Edited by CupKayke

2 hours ago, CupKayke said:

I feel your pain.  We are cruising on Costa Fortuna out of Buenos Aires, Argentina in March and I am getting mixed signals/answers.   Basically, some places say in order to take a cruise out of South America, ALL ADULTS must have a COVID test at least 24 hours pre-embarkation or they will be denied boarding however, I was looking at this cruise on another website and it specifically says that COVID testing is only required for those who do not have vaccines and boosters and vaccinated adults do not need pre-cruise tests.   We are fully vaccinated and have had 3 boosters each at this point with our most recent one being in October. 

The Costa website and emails are not helpful and simply say they are staying on top of the changes.  Umm... okay... but we are like 60 days out at this point.    When it gets closer to time, I suppose I will call them.   The thing with us is...  we embark the boat around 4pm (???) I don't know... at some point on March 10th we will be allowed onboard.  Our flight arrives into Argentina at 7am that morning (debarkation/sailing time was moved from 4pm to 7pm).  We don't know how early we can get onboard the ship on the 10th.... but we leave Miami (straight flight) at 8pm THE EVENING PRIOR so  If we are going to get a COVID test, we'll have to do it in the Miami airport around 2-4pm or so??  I mean... that's more than 24 hours or we will be possibly cutting it really close.... but we have no other choice.  Unless they are going to offer COVID tests at embarkation, this all seems like a mess.   

How long is your cruise?

2 hours ago, CupKayke said:

Costa's website seems pretty clear to me. It says that a pre-boarding antigen test taken within 24 hours of boarding is required for vaccinated passengers over the age of three on South America cruises of more than 5 days:

https://www.costacruises.com/cruising-soon/safety-above-all.html

Pre-boarding antigen test

All guests who are under the age of five or immunized against Covid-19 will no longer be required to take a pre-boarding antigen test for cruises in the Mediterranean, the Caribbean and the United Arab Emirates*.

The pre-boarding antigen test is still required:

a) for guests who are not immunized against Covid-19 as per those cases indicated in the FAQs on vaccines and pre-boarding tests you find in this section.

b) for guests (over the age of 3 years old) who are immunized against Covid-19 and are cruising in South America for longer than 5 days. In this case the test has to be done within 24h of boarding.

c) for guests (over the age of 5 years old) who cruise on a World Tour or from Europe to South America, to the Caribbean or to the United Arab Emirates. In these cases, the test must be done within 48 hours of boarding (72 hours for World Tour). For these cruises additional immunization requirements are requested, as indicated in the FAQs on vaccines and pre-boarding tests you find in this section.

d) for guests arriving from China until 01/31/2023, before boarding by plane in China and upon arrival in Italy (order of the Italian Minister of Health of 28/12/2022*).

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

She traveled to BA in mid December and was supposed to be on a BA to Santiago cruise over the holidays but i don't know which line.

Thanks for your response. We are boarding in BA. I’m wondering if there’s a difference between Chili vs Argentina, or different cruiseline protocols.

11 hours ago, CupKayke said:

I’m glad everything seems so clear to YOU.  I could post some screen shots showing you otherwise but it’s okay.., you do whatever you need to do for your Costa cruise since you are so clear about everything. 

I'm quoting directly from Costa's website as of the moment I posted. Are cruise line websites accurate 100% of the time? No...but they almost always are and they are official sources of information provided by the cruise line. Screen shots from the past or from unofficial sources aren't reliable. If you have something current from a reliable and official source then you should post it so that others can see, not just take pot shots at posters who are trying to answer your question.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kathynorth said:

Thanks for your response. We are boarding in BA. I’m wondering if there’s a difference between Chili vs Argentina, or different cruiseline protocols.

Yes each South American country will have different protocols.  They could even be different for land and cruise visitors.  Each cruise line could have different requirements too.

If it's just an antigen test, I know that at least HAL allows you to "self test" and document with a screenshot and signed affidavit.  You could take one with you and do it in the Miami airport, or on the plane, or in BA when you get there.  Maybe that's an option?  I have no idea what Costa's rules are...

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 10:11 AM, kathynorth said:

It can also have to do with the length of cruise. Cruises under 16 days, for the most part, do not need to test, but cruises 16 days and over do. Also, if a 14 day itinerary can be booked as either a 14 day or a longer day, they will probably make everyone test prior to boarding.

We will be leaving from BA on a Seabourn cruise which also requires testing.  On their website each sailing has a protocol requirement listed.  I expect other cruiselines do the same.  It looks like a self administered test will be acceptable for our departure, thankfully.  It really makes a difference which country is involved.  We were originally leaving from Rio which only required testing for unvaccinated passengers. 

Thank you for alerting us on the need to check for current requirements since I would not have focused on it.

Edited by mcmarya