Live from MSC Divina 12/30-01/13

styles27

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Never saw this ship that is docking next to us.

It's the Mein Schiff 1 ("My Ship 1"), one of currently 7 ships of TUI cruises, a joint venture of Royal Carribean and the german travel company TUI, targeting the german market.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quattrohead said:

Oh man you are making me jealous.

We enjoyed our little Meraviglia cruise as far as we could but decided that Divina is our favorite ship, maybe because we are so familiar with it after 3 cruises. Well except the wonderful Cuba cruise we had on Armonia.

Do you remember Jason from South Africa from our last Divina cruise ? Well he is on Meraviglia now and after the 2nd night I remembered him. Had a nice chat, super nice guy.

Yes I do remember him from last year’s Divina! He was very nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnpurple said:

Do you have an excursion planned for Cartagena? I haven't quite decided what to do when there. I read where a couple hired a taxi for a few hours and am considering that route for a tour/lunch.

Yes we’re doing the Sightseeing tour by motor coach it takes you to the old city, the fort, Boco

grande etc. we purchased it from MSC $55 a person. 
Our tour guide is shooing away all of the people trying to sell us stuff. Feel very safe. 

It’s very hot here today 85 deg F and 90 percent humidity but very sunny. 
The locals are cold and tell us it’s their winter. 
Some photos from the Old City. 

Everything is so colorful we really enjoyed our time in there. The graffiti is some of the best we have ever seen. 

C75F1422-E99B-4631-AF78-48B63C091203.jpeg

A1450603-2814-487B-A99C-63B5E526BC51.jpeg

3F6C22E1-C399-4C62-8905-15B1C3660924.jpeg

E52A6231-4A44-463D-A060-0EA65D5338C9.jpeg

2AE06308-3B23-4C4C-985A-C6AD25A97D37.jpeg

• Like 2

Someone on our tour just had her cellphone taken. She asked a local to take a picture of her and her friend.

Then vendors surrounded her and before she knew it the guy took off with her phone. 
Our tour guide warned us not to make eye contact with these people. 
I feel so bad for her. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

Never saw this ship that is docking next to us.

That is the favourite cruise line of the Germans. Par with Celebrity cruises, maybe a little bit better. You need to speak German or English, with all other languages you will be lost. If you check their prices you maybe will be a little bit shocked, but everything is included, drinks, tips, whatever. The only line I ever sailed with a final bill of zero 😄 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

That is the favourite cruise line of the Germans.

You will find just as many germans who prefer Aida (a german subsidiary of carnival cruises with a fleet of 12 ships) which is quite different to TUI and could be described as a club resort on sea.

Personally, although I am german, I prefer the international crowd on MSC with not to many niggling germans around. 😃

• Haha 1

Good morning from Colon

We opted to stay on board and not take an excursion today.

We will step off for a little bit to buy some souvenirs but will stay right at the port stores. 

Last night in the Pantheon they did Dancing Queen an Abba tribute show. It was pretty good and the theater was 3/4 full. 

One thing we noticed after being on board for the last 6 days is that the musical acts around the ship in the atrium and lounges repeat their sets pretty frequently. 
Last night was the first time we felt that a lot of passengers were bored. 

We’re on btb so the MDR manager asked if we wanted the same table for the next leg of the cruise and of course we do since our servers Generose and Cowley are excellent.
We have a table for 2 #544 if you’d like to request their section. 

This cruise there have been 3 seatings.
 Next cruise will only have 2 dining times 6:30 & 8:30 because they are only expecting 1800 passengers. 

We’re looking forward to that as there are 3800 on now and the buffet just cannot handle it especially for breakfast. Finding utensils and a napkin is a big problem.
We’ve been ordering room service despite the $7.95 service charge…for us it’s worth 10 times that amount to be able to eat out on our balcony in peace. 

I’ve been on these CC boards for a very long time and I think many of you know I’m not one to complain about anything.
I apologize in advance for this but after being on for the last week I’m appalled at how most passengers on this sailing are behaving. 
It seems like the lot of them were not taught basic manners. I’ve given up keeping track of the number of times someone has run into me full force without so much as an apology or excuse me. 
Is that the norm for them or is it the unlimited booze?

I have witnessed many passengers treating the crew with zero respect.  
A lot (most) of the crew does not speak the language of most of these passengers but that doesn’t make them stupid/ignorant. Yes I’ve witnessed someone calling a bartender stupid because the poor guy couldn’t understand what kind of drink the passenger wanted. 
One should look in the mirror and they may see the face of stupid and ignorance in their own reflection. 

I’ve travelled to many countries and have been on countless cruises and we’ve never experienced what we are experiencing now  

We will not cruise during a holiday again if this is the type of clientele it attracts. 

Sorry for the rant. 

Today’s daily

0AE2E8B1-4D9A-48D8-8852-E741A9ED6640.jpeg

8B917FB0-C2B7-437E-8548-B8C2C8FC3387.jpeg

75826B5C-8F9F-400F-AA11-4A1F07303041.jpeg

E0549831-BC1C-4C42-80C4-B3AB3C4F57FF.jpeg

D3D19F86-456E-45ED-8ADD-A74844131B99.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, styles27 said:

We will not cruise during a holiday again if this is the type of clientele it attracts.

We feel the same way. But we will not make such a sacrifice as not cruising. Instead consider the better alternative...The Yacht Club enclave. We find on the Seascape the best entertainment can be found in the Top Sail Lounge. Then one can go 'slumming' the rest of the year.

• Like 2

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

We feel the same way. But we will not make such a sacrifice as not cruising. Instead consider the better alternative...The Yacht Club enclave. We find on the Seascape the best entertainment can be found in the Top Sail Lounge. Then one can go 'slumming' the rest of the year.

Agree the bubble of the YC would be a lot more relaxing this week. YC is full this sailing.  
We spoke to folks who were on NCL for Christmas and they said it was a completely different vibe even though that ship was at capacity too.
She said at least passengers apologized after running into them. 

I still can’t believe that adults act this way.

5 hours ago, styles27 said:

Good morning from Colon

We opted to stay on board and not take an excursion today.

We will step off for a little bit to buy some souvenirs but will stay right at the port stores. 

Last night in the Pantheon they did Dancing Queen an Abba tribute show. It was pretty good and the theater was 3/4 full. 

One thing we noticed after being on board for the last 6 days is that the musical acts around the ship in the atrium and lounges repeat their sets pretty frequently. 
Last night was the first time we felt that a lot of passengers were bored. 

We’re on btb so the MDR manager asked if we wanted the same table for the next leg of the cruise and of course we do since our servers Generose and Cowley are excellent.
We have a table for 2 #544 if you’d like to request their section. 

This cruise there have been 3 seatings.
 Next cruise will only have 2 dining times 6:30 & 8:30 because they are only expecting 1800 passengers. 

We’re looking forward to that as there are 3800 on now and the buffet just cannot handle it especially for breakfast. Finding utensils and a napkin is a big problem.
We’ve been ordering room service despite the $7.95 service charge…for us it’s worth 10 times that amount to be able to eat out on our balcony in peace. 

I’ve been on these CC boards for a very long time and I think many of you know I’m not one to complain about anything.
I apologize in advance for this but after being on for the last week I’m appalled at how most passengers on this sailing are behaving. 
It seems like the lot of them were not taught basic manners. I’ve given up keeping track of the number of times someone has run into me full force without so much as an apology or excuse me. 
Is that the norm for them or is it the unlimited booze?

I have witnessed many passengers treating the crew with zero respect.  
A lot (most) of the crew does not speak the language of most of these passengers but that doesn’t make them stupid/ignorant. Yes I’ve witnessed someone calling a bartender stupid because the poor guy couldn’t understand what kind of drink the passenger wanted. 
One should look in the mirror and they may see the face of stupid and ignorance in their own reflection. 

I’ve travelled to many countries and have been on countless cruises and we’ve never experienced what we are experiencing now  

Sorry for the rant. 

Today’s daily

0AE2E8B1-4D9A-48D8-8852-E741A9ED6640.jpeg

8B917FB0-C2B7-437E-8548-B8C2C8FC3387.jpeg

75826B5C-8F9F-400F-AA11-4A1F07303041.jpeg

E0549831-BC1C-4C42-80C4-B3AB3C4F57FF.jpeg

D3D19F86-456E-45ED-8ADD-A74844131B99.jpeg

I had similar issues on other sailings out of Miami on MSC. The passengers are much better behaved out of Port Canaveral - until you get in really late like on 12/15. That was really bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I had similar issues on other sailings out of Miami on MSC. The passengers are much better behaved out of Port Canaveral - until you get in really late like on 12/15. That was really bad.

Interesting. Our last MSC cruise was out of Canaveral and it was great. I think you’re onto something.
This cruise Americans only make up 10% of the passengers. (According to a crew member at guest services) 

Today we were in the aft pool on 15. I had my back to the side of the pool and some idiot pushed her boyfriend in the pool and he landed on me. I’ve had 3 spine surgeries I don’t need someone falling on my back. 
Neither of them apologized. In fact they found it hilarious and laughed about it.
 I really thought my husband was going to lose it.

Thankfully the lifeguard saw the entire thing and told them to leave and not come back to that pool for the rest of the cruise. 

The lifeguard was great and offered me to see the doctor or whatever I needed. I’m fine thankfully.
It’s like cruising with a bunch of animals. I’ve never seen anything like it. We’ve cruised in Europe without issue I don’t know where this group of people came from but I hope I never cruise with them ever again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Interesting. Our last MSC cruise was out of Canaveral and it was great. I think you’re onto something.
This cruise Americans only make up 10% of the passengers. (According to a crew member at guest services) 

Today we were in the aft pool on 15. I had my back to the side of the pool and some idiot pushed her boyfriend in the pool and he landed on me. I’ve had 3 spine surgeries I don’t need someone falling on my back. 
Neither of them apologized. In fact they found it hilarious and laughed about it.
 I really thought my husband was going to lose it.

Thankfully the lifeguard saw the entire thing and told them to leave and not come back to that pool for the rest of the cruise. 

The lifeguard was great and offered me to see the doctor or whatever I needed. I’m fine thankfully.
It’s like cruising with a bunch of animals. I’ve never seen anything like it. We’ve cruised in Europe without issue I don’t know where this group of people came from but I hope I never cruise with them ever again. 

I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you weren't hurt, and that the lifeguard reacted appropriately!

It was not a friendly bunch on the Divina in November for me. Also my first MSC cruise was on the Meraviglia and out of Miami. It was actually 2 back to backs. The first one had the unfriendly people, but the second left from Miami and ended in Port Canaveral. That was a much nicer crowd (and much better itinerary, including all 3 ABC islands).

There were some issues on the Poesia cruise I took in September, but mainly off the ship. Many Europeans do NOT like standing in line, they bunch up at the door of the bus. Some Australians I had met were also waiting for the bus and we all decided to not sink to that level.

I'm wondering what to expect for my transatlantic cruise in May. Sadly it does not stop at Ocean Cay but does do several ports in the Caribbean before heading to Funchal. MSC does some quirky things but so far it works for me.

• Thanks 1

I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting all the dailies and helpful information. You're taking time from your holiday to share your feedback and it is appreciated.

I will be joining the Divina on Monday and will definitely request to be seated in Genevese's section. Do you know if they would allow a solo traveler to sit at their own table in the MDR?

And sorry to hear about your experience with other guests. I'm very relieved to hear that there will be fewer numbers coming next week (although I wonder if they may reduce the number of activities/entertainment because of this?).

• Thanks 1

Wow,  sorry to hear about all the troubles your beginning to have.

You had concerns beforehand, and I told you not to worry. Was I wrong!

It once again makes me wonder if I made a mistake booking Seashore in November, but it is out of PC, so that may help.

Even though Americans seem to be in the minority on your cruise, I think the "Carnivalization" of MSC is occurring. 

So sad if true.

Look forward to tour next post.

• Like 3

We found the same thing on Meraviglia on the 3 night cruise, we assumed it was a booze cruise mentality but now I wonder if it is low pricing attracting.....well however you want to say it.

Fla Mike posting the same thoughts at the same time as me !!!!

Edited by quattrohead
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, ABC XYZ said:

I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting all the dailies and helpful information. You're taking time from your holiday to share your feedback and it is appreciated.

I will be joining the Divina on Monday and will definitely request to be seated in Genevese's section. Do you know if they would allow a solo traveler to sit at their own table in the MDR?

And sorry to hear about your experience with other guests. I'm very relieved to hear that there will be fewer numbers coming next week (although I wonder if they may reduce the number of activities/entertainment because of this?).

Hi 

Yes we’ve seen solo diners at dinner so you should be able to request that once you board. 
The staff is quite relieved that there will only be 1800 pax on the next cruise. 
Our server is Generose you will be very well taken care of for sure!

If you see us please say hello!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! 
I really hope this cruise isn’t the model going forward. We left Carnival because of the type of passengers it was attracting.

Other than the rude people we’ve had a great time.

The MDR food has been very good this cruise. We have enjoyed everything we’ve eaten there. 
The crew is amazing. They are so appreciative when we thank them or praise them or simply just ask how they’re doing. 

We’re in Costa Rica today and heading out shortly for our excursion down the canal. 
I will add the Daily shortly…haven’t taken any pics of it yet. 

Today’s menu

22AF6F56-6C9F-49BA-BD2C-60900EC23301.jpeg

C5375D4A-C1E4-4C46-8E29-17116D875D8B.jpeg

BE179547-39E0-4EF1-9F7A-BABE78BC34AE.jpeg

Edited by styles27
Edit pics
  • Like 2

Just returned from the Tartuguera Canal excursion. We were fortunate to see sloths, : different kinds of monkeys, 2 crocodile and many birds. 
The port itself is pretty run down and uninviting so I’m glad we did an excursion  So far our favorite port was Cartagena and Ocho Rios second. 

The next two days we’ll be at sea I will try to post when the WiFi allows. Here is today’s Daily Program.

Thanks for following along!

Deb

DC51AD41-CFAE-4CDF-BF37-DA391334BFAF.jpeg

DF6E8096-EA22-4254-8AF1-45E9C4F1FC68.jpeg

F41358BC-F449-4F9B-90E6-E2B8BC1D8443.jpeg

21048D5C-7526-414B-98CA-6ACA9E8C0501.jpeg

DCD95E03-67C4-4CB6-BAD4-9C311B44CBF7.jpeg

71EE71DD-613C-4C77-9AC1-62227D65BC80.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing all of the information. I'm sorry you're running into such inconsiderate people on the ship, but glad that isn't ruining anything for you. There was a pretty rowdy group on one of our last cruises and we'd just have to try to avoid them.  When we go in a few weeks, it will be our first cruise over 7 days, so hoping 10 days won't be too much time on a ship.

@ABC XYZ I see you're on the next sailing. If you feel like it, can you ask about the 1/27 cruise and numbers they are expecting? No big deal if you don't.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, styles27 said:

Hi 

Yes we’ve seen solo diners at dinner so you should be able to request that once you board. 
The staff is quite relieved that there will only be 1800 pax on the next cruise. 
Our server is Generose you will be very well taken care of for sure!

If you see us please say hello!

Sounds great - and yes, I will try to find you to say hello 🙂

How is the temperature on the ship? I'm trying to fit everything into a carry-on and am a bit concerned I will have to wear my jacket all the time if it's very chilly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Thanks for sharing all of the information. I'm sorry you're running into such inconsiderate people on the ship, but glad that isn't ruining anything for you. There was a pretty rowdy group on one of our last cruises and we'd just have to try to avoid them.  When we go in a few weeks, it will be our first cruise over 7 days, so hoping 10 days won't be too much time on a ship.

@ABC XYZ I see you're on the next sailing. If you feel like it, can you ask about the 1/27 cruise and numbers they are expecting? No big deal if you don't.

Sure, I can ask! Although maybe styles27 can ask even now/next week (not sure how far in advance the crew finds out this kind of information)

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 8:00 PM, tkwbear said:

I'm wondering what to expect for my transatlantic cruise in May. Sadly it does not stop at Ocean Cay but does do several ports in the Caribbean before heading to Funchal. MSC does some quirky things but so far it works for me.

We are also booked on the May transatlantic and share your concerns. 17 nights is a long cruise with a bunch of rude jerks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ABC XYZ said:

Sounds great - and yes, I will try to find you to say hello 🙂

How is the temperature on the ship? I'm trying to fit everything into a carry-on and am a bit concerned I will have to wear my jacket all the time if it's very chilly.

Overall the temperature on the ship has been comfortable. I’ve never felt like I needed a sweater or wrap even in the evenings. 
This morning we’re sitting on our balcony and the sun is very hot.

It’s really the first cruise we have been able to use our balcony and not be cold…even last night we were out here til midnight. 
It has been a great escape from the craziness. 
I’m thinking the air temp may be a little cooler for next week’s cruise since we’re staying in the Bahamas. 

17 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Thank you! Yes avoiding the crowds is key.
Also pushing back when people push you out of the way to get to an elevator or food in the buffet has been effective although against my nature. 😏
I have found that when you give them a taste of their own medicine they back down. 

I will ask the head waiter about your sailing. He did mention to us that this has been their largest crowd on this ship since Covid. He said the avg was around 2000 which is manageable. 

This is our first 14 day cruise. We’re thrilled that there will only be 1800 pax next week.