Thinking of trying the new Oceania ship, Vista. Talk me out of it?

asnaleah

34 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Until Jan 9th Oceania has a promo, you get the Cruise only fare price and can add one of the O-Life choices, $400OBC, 4 shore excursions or beverage package included in the price. Thats what I just did with our TA today see why below.

Today we booked our first cruise with Oceania, the 18-day Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise in March 2025. This decision was made after reading this excellent thread. We have loved Celebrity Suites but in 2025 their prices for a 14-night itinerary on the Equinox of South America has gotten way too high for us. We like the suites on Celebrity mainly because of their private restaurant Luminae as it offers a much-improved menu in a smaller venue. We are booked in a A2 Veranda cabin on the Marina for $370 cost per night pp. A Sky suite on the Equinox cruise comes out to $570 pp per night. Compare that to our booked New Zealand cruise on the Celebrity Edge in 2024 in a Sky Suite for $400pp per night. The way we see it the only thing we miss on the Oceania cruise over the Equinox is a Butler and the drinks package plus $800 OBC for booking a suite.  However $1887 ($2687-$800OBC) less in real cost plus having 4 more days of cruising more than makes up the difference on Oceania. 

is the $400 OBC pp or total for both?  I ask because we booked a cruise for May 2023 and I "think" we opted for the $200 OBC, though I can't really tell if that is pp or total for us both.  Oh boy, I guess it may warrant a call.  BTW our total fare in a PH1 was MUCH lower the Celebrity for a similiar itin the same week.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

In 2024 VO has almost the exact same 18-day itinerary as Oceania has in 2025. Pricing for similar cabins (A2 Oceania and DV2, VO) are within a few hundred dollars of each other 2024 for VO vs 2025 for Oceania. I know you have experience with both lines, if the itineraries are the same and pricing similar which one would you prefer over the other? Any information will be appreciated.

That's a hard question, because I think both would be very satisfactory and in important ways they are more alike than different.

Depending on the particular VO ship, it may be sparkling new or almost as old as Riviera (2015 vs 2012).  Viking's decor is 100% Scandinavian modern, but the finishes are amazingly luxurious; O's ships are more traditional in decor and while the design is stunning I wasn't ooh-ing and aah-ing over the leather hallway handrails etc.

Viking food is good, but I have become convinced that O really does have 'the finest cuisine at sea.'

Viking prices include more amenities, but I discount the value of their included shore excursions because we ended up taking very few – upgrading to their optional tours (which are priced similar to other cruise lines; no credit for the included tour you didn't take...) or going private.

Bottom line:  I would probably take Oceania.  The tie-breaker would be the loyalty program:  because O has more itineraries of interest, I can see us working our way up over time.  [And Viking's policy of requiring full payment so much earlier than any other cruise line really sticks in my craw.]

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

is the $400 OBC pp or total for both?  I ask because we booked a cruise for May 2023 and I "think" we opted for the $200 OBC, though I can't really tell if that is pp or total for us both.  Oh boy, I guess it may warrant a call.  BTW our total fare in a PH1 was MUCH lower the Celebrity for a similiar itin the same week.

When I looked at the website and did a mock booking, it was per person so $800 is total OBC. I then had my TA confirm and book it today. That is one reason why I use this TA, she works on holidays and weekends whenever I need her. We also opted for the O-Life included beverage package which at $39.95pp per day or $1438 total for both of us was much better than the $800 OBC.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

When I looked at the website and did a mock booking, it was per person so $800 is total OBC. I then had my TA confirm and book it today. That is one reason why I use this TA, she works on holidays and weekends whenever I need her. We also opted for the O-Life included beverage package which at $39.95pp per day or $1438 total for both of us was much better than the $800 OBC.

Thank you!  SO it seems like on the booking page the $400 is reflected then it is for the 2 passengers, if so, makes sense.  My booking shows that we selected $200 OBC but isn't clear (at least to me, O invoices are new as this is my first cruise with them)if it is for each or total, I'm going to call just to confirm.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's a hard question, because I think both would be very satisfactory and in important ways they are more alike than different.

Depending on the particular VO ship, it may be sparkling new or almost as old as Riviera (2015 vs 2012).  Viking's decor is 100% Scandinavian modern, but the finishes are amazingly luxurious; O's ships are more traditional in decor and while the design is stunning I wasn't ooh-ing and aah-ing over the leather hallway handrails etc.

Viking food is good, but I have become convinced that O really does have 'the finest cuisine at sea.'

Viking prices include more amenities, but I discount the value of their included shore excursions because we ended up taking very few – upgrading to their optional tours (which are priced similar to other cruise lines; no credit for the included tour you didn't take...) or going private.

Bottom line:  I would probably take Oceania.  The tie-breaker would be the loyalty program:  because O has more itineraries of interest, I can see us working our way up over time.  [And Viking's policy of requiring full payment so much earlier than any other cruise line really sticks in my craw.]

I really appreciate your honest assessment between both cruise lines. The VO cruise is on the Jupiter which I think is fairly new. Oceania is doing a complete refurbishment of the Marina this year 2023, which includes all class of cabins and the bathrooms of each cabin, this is according to the brochure we got in the mail last week.

One other question do you see a lot of difference on O between the A category concierge level cabins and the PH category ones other than more space?

Edited by terrydtx

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Thank you!  SO it seems like on the booking page the $400 is reflected then it is for the 2 passengers, if so, makes sense.  My booking shows that we selected $200 OBC but isn't clear (at least to me, O invoices are new as this is my first cruise with them)if it is for each or total, I'm going to call just to confirm.

Trying to figure out how the O-Life options work makes booking online very confusing, but after reading some of the posts here it all makes so much more sense. One thing I did find out if you choose the O basic drinks package for unlimited wine and beer by the glass with lunch and dinner you can upgrade to the Elite package for all spirits for only $20pp per day more. VO has the unlimited wine and beer free for meals, but they now charge $25pp per day to upgrade to their Silver Spirits package. I think you have said in other posts that you do not drink but we enjoy a martini or two before our dinners while cruising so it makes sense for us to upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Oceania is doing a complete refurbishment of the Marina this year 2023,

Nope, it's been cancelled to some undisclosed time in 2024. 

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

One thing I did find out if you choose the O basic drinks package for unlimited wine and beer by the glass with lunch and dinner you can upgrade to the Elite package for all spirits for only $20pp per day more

This just went up to $30 per person per day. 

27 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

One other question do you see a lot of difference on O between the A category concierge level cabins and the PH category ones other than more space?

Yes, they are apples to oranges. The A category is the same exact size as the regular veranda. The PH is much larger, has a walk in closet, comes with Butler service, you can order from the Specialty restaurants every day for dining in your suite, depending on cruise length you get more Specialty reservations, and you get to book them earlier. Your room is ready earlier on embarkation day. I'm sure I forgot something. The only benefit to the A category is that it's less money. It does have a few benefits over the B category, but not enough for me to pay extra for. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Thanks. I have read quite a bit on the Oceania forum, and seen the same advice as here: take the excursions, or forgo O-Life altogether. I think we will likely look at the available excursions before making a booking decision if we do book with O.

I had a discussion with my TA today about the O excursions. She said the number one complaint she hears from her customers who have sailed with Oceania is with the shore excursions and how OVER PRICED they are compared to other cruise lines and doing them private. She suggested that we take the beverage package as our included O-Life option with the current promo, which is what we did when she booked us. On our 18 day cruise the beverage package is a $1438 total value. If purchased separately the bev package is $39.95pp per day.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I can't answer this, so will defer to what @ORV said above.  When I was booking our Riviera cruise I looked at the deck plans and amenities and decided that a PH was the right level for us.  This was before the Riviera refurb, and we loved our cabin [10028] and the entire cruise.  The pictures of the refurb look even better!  [I believe that is what Marina will look like when she finally gets the refurb.]

24 minutes ago, ORV said:

Nope, it's been cancelled to some undisclosed time in 2024. 

This just went up to $30 per person per day. 

Thank you for your response. The most recent brochure and the O website as of today shows the Marina refurbishment being done in 2023. I am concerned if this is not true as it was part of our decision to book this cruise. BTW the website for O today shows the drink package as being only $20, when is it going to increase to $30?

Edited by terrydtx

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you for your response. The most recent brochure and the O website as of today shows the Marina refurbishment being done in 2023. I am concerned if this is not true as it was part of our decision to book this cruise.

Check the Oceania board. It's been reported there for weeks. Surprised your TA wasn't aware of it. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Check the Oceania board. It's been reported there for weeks. Surprised your TA wasn't aware of it. 

To be honest I didn't ask my TA about the refurbishment as I confirmed it on the website and from the brochure, we got from O last week. This already has me second guessing our decision to have booked this cruise if this is all true. I may be giving Viking a strong look when they come out with their 2025 schedule. 

Do you have a link to this on the O boards?  I just looked at a couple of pages and didn't see anything. Thanks

Edited by terrydtx

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

To be honest I didn't ask my TA about the refurbishment as I confirmed it on the website and from the brochure, we got from O last week. This already has me second guessing our decision to have booked this cruise if this is all true. I may be giving Viking a strong look when they come out with their 2025 schedule. 

Marina is still in great shape. Recently did 47 days on her. 

34 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I had a discussion with my TA today about the O excursions. She said the number one complaint she hears from her customers who have sailed with Oceania is with the shore excursions and how OVER PRICED they are compared to other cruise lines and doing them private. She suggested that we take the beverage package as our included O-Life option with the current promo, which is what we did when she booked us. On our 18 day cruise the beverage package is a $1438 total value. If purchased separately the bev package is $39.95pp per day.

Search for my numerous detailed posts on O Life strategies including combining the tours perk with enough added paid ones for the 25% YWYW discount. Done right, particularly on longer cruises, the neg cost May pleasantly surprise you.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

With the latest news about Celebrity now beginning to charge $9.95 + 18% gratuity for room service, I think I’m ready to try something new. Many thanks to all for this excellent discussion and to @terrydtxfor the promotion alert!

We have 4 cruises in the next 2 years booked in the Retreat with Celebrity, but when we looked at what they want for a South America cruise Sky Suite on the Equinox in 2025, it was ridiculously high. Our 2024 New Zealand cruise Sky Suite is now priced almost $2000pp more than when we booked back in February last year.  I have to agree with this thread Celebrity's new pricing for suites is driving loyalist like us to look elsewhere like Oceania and Viking.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ORV said:

I finally found a thread about this on page 6 of the O boards, a lot of discussion but no confirmation from anyone that this was confirmed with O corporate. Some said it could happen in 2024 which is still well before we sail in March 2025.

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I finally found a thread about this on page 6 of the O boards, a lot of discussion but no confirmation from anyone that this was confirmed with O corporate. Some said it could happen in 2024 which is still well before we sail in March 2025.

Hopefully it will be done by then, I'd be disappointed as well if I went into the booking thinking it was to have already been completed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Here are the facts, the scheduled 2023 update was cancelled, they haven't announced a new date for when it will be done. But as FF said, the Marina is still in good shape, the updates are more about a cosmetic update and less about being worn out. I personally would have no problem with going on a cruise anytime in the next couple of years on Marina. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did two cruises last year on Oceania, one on Marina in a penthouse and one on Riviera in a regular cabin. We found the decor on both ships was outdated and our penthouse suite had some pretty beat up furniture. But the bathroom in the penthouse was great and even in the regular cabin it was much nicer even than on our recent Beyond cruise.

Yes, you do get some extras with the penthouse cabin, but not enough to make it worth the extra money. Our butler was worthless - didn't even keep our ice bucket full and never even stopped by to see if we needed anything. I know that might be unusual, but the only other perk worth it is that you get better dinner reservations (which is important since they are hard to get in some of the special restaurants). The food is good (MUCH better than our recent cruises on Celebrity) but not very much choice in the buffet and, we did not thing the main dining room food was very good. We spent many evenings in the buffet with steak, lobster and lamb chops cooked to order.

As someone else pointed out, the ship is dead once the dining rooms close. A much older crowd than Celebrity and not nearly as much to do. We found the enrichment on the Beyond this fall much better than on either of our Oceania cruises and the entertainment on Oceania (what there was) was about the same.

We took the O-life air and the excursions. The air department is 1000 times better than Flights by Celebrity - they are an actual travel service and not a flight consolidator.  Excellent, flexible service. The excursions are really not worth the money so we would not do that again.

I would really like to do a cruise on Vista but not sure if I would do Marina or Riviera again and I'm not a small ship person - so won't do the R class ones.

• Thanks 1

Terry, Take a look at our Marina 3 February 23 Roll Call for ideas for excursions. We are using ToursByLocals for some.  Initially it was difficult to find anything. Must be averaging about $120 each for small group tours. The following cruise has many ideas too. O’s tours were ridiculous. 

Will decide after the cruise if O is for us. Definitively not the R ships. 

• Like 1

Oops wrong date. I often get ideas for excursions by reviewing other Roll Calls. There were slim picking for 2020, 21 & 22 though.

The Nautica is doing a similar itinerary too. After the movement of the Sirena in the Caribbean in November I am glad we are on the bigger ship....and I am a small yacht sailor.

We took the OBC for the cruise (I know now we could have had a price reduction but O can confuse a newbie). We will put it against the gratuities and corkage for the bottles of wine we will bring on board and buy at vineyards. I barely drink but DW enjoys a glass and a daily G&T. Fortunately virgin cocktails and soft drinks are free. Annoyingly alcohol free beer is not.

4 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Terry, Take a look at our Marina 3 February 23 Roll Call for ideas for excursions. We are using ToursByLocals for some.  Initially it was difficult to find anything. Must be averaging about $120 each for small group tours. The following cruise has many ideas too. O’s tours were ridiculous. 

Will decide after the cruise if O is for us. Definitively not the R ships. 

Thank you, we will be using tours by locals for our Celebrity Apex cruise in September along with several other private tour companies recommended by some in our roll call. For example, we booked an 8 hour private Lisbon tour for just the 4 of us in our group with Spain Day Tours for $133pp, Celebrity has the identical tour in a bus of up to 16 for $250pp. We also get to set where and what we want to see on our tour, we asked to go to a port tasting or vineyard as part of our tour. We booked a couple of long tours last August on the Reflection that included lunch in the tours, but in every case the set lunches were so late in the afternoons (2-3pm) that we were not hungry for dinner when we got back to the ship. By doing private tours we set the time and places we want lunch.

We have also used Shore Excursions Group in 2022 and had great results with lower cost small group tours. We are to the point of not booking cruise company sponsored shore excursions. 

Edited by terrydtx

Many thanks to all for this excellent discussion. I truly appreciate the insights from my fellow cruisers. We decided to try the Oceania Vista, sailing from Miami to LA, Jan 2025.  Happy sailing to all!

• Like 4