Price Increase for Silver Spirits Package and Gratuities?

vslparis

We just returned from a 5,500+ mile two month roadtrip.  The cheapest drink at any hotel bar for a Jack and water was $10.  Most were in the $15 range.  Many in the $17-$19 range.  We had a Viking Sea Christmas cruise during this road trip and I can tell you Viking seems very reasonable.  Either SSBP or buy as you go.  I am glad they resisted pricing increases as long as they did and that it is relatively "modest" in this insane economy.🥃

• Like 7

I had added the SS to my cart but did not pay. It was a shock to see a 28% increase (Canadian) on Jan 1.

I have no problem with price increases in this inflationary environment and I agree that the drinks are fairly priced. What I object to very strongly is the lack of motive. I have told Viking this. I hope that everyone else who is annoyed let’s them know.

40 minutes ago, phil1107 said:

I had added the SS to my cart but did not pay. It was a shock to see a 28% increase (Canadian) on Jan 1.

I have no problem with price increases in this inflationary environment and I agree that the drinks are fairly priced. What I object to very strongly is the lack of motive. I have told Viking this. I hope that everyone else who is annoyed let’s them know.

Lack of motive? Not really following you? Wouldn't their motive be to ultimately remain profitable? As you stated in this inflationary environment, price increases are to be inevitable and expected. I for one, while annoyed with the economy,  don't feel Viking has done anything that wasn't expected to happen eventually.  Cheers 

53 minutes ago, phil1107 said:

3 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Lack of motive? Not really following you? Wouldn't their motive be to ultimately remain profitable? As you stated in this inflationary environment, price increases are to be inevitable and expected. I for one, while annoyed with the economy,  don't feel Viking has done anything that wasn't expected to happen eventually.  Cheers 

I’m wondering if spellcheck played a part…perhaps it was supposed to be lack of notice?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I for one, while annoyed with the economy,  don't feel Viking has done anything that wasn't expected to happen eventually.  Cheers 

Sure but a 28% increase is hardly just keeping pace with inflation - there’s a bit more than inflation in there 

Could be worse - the same package went up 42% in Australia 

18 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sure but a 28% increase is hardly just keeping pace with inflation - there’s a bit more than inflation in there 

Could be worse - the same package went up 42% in Australia 

It's simply  currency exchange. Aussie dollar has dropped as has the £. 

15 minutes ago, Pushka said:

It's simply  currency exchange. Aussie dollar has dropped as has the £. 

If that were the case then wouldn’t Aust $ fares also have risen by a similar amount (they haven’t)

Currency may be a factor but doesn’t account for a 42% increase 

24 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

If that were the case then wouldn’t Aust $ fares also have risen by a similar amount (they haven’t)

Currency may be a factor but doesn’t account for a 42% increase 

No. Fares are locked in when you pay the deposit. The SSP is an add on. Fare price fluctuates all the time for specials etc so that's like comparing apples and oranges.  Additionally the same cruise can cost more if in a different season. 

Edited by Pushka

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

No. Fares are locked in when you pay the deposit. The SSP is an add on. Fare price fluctuates all the time for specials etc so that's like comparing apples and oranges. 

Yes my price for a particular cruise is locked in but I’ve been tracking my fare for that cruise for 6 months and it hasn’t risen in A$ price (base price that is) - of course “deals and offers” come and go but they’re typically on a range of cruises as opposed to the base price of the cruise

My point was made in response to your comment which effectively suggested the SSP 42% increase was down to the A$ exchange rate against the US$ deteriorating - but the A$ has only deteriorated by less than 4% over the last 12 months against the US$

14 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Yes my price for a particular cruise is locked in but I’ve been tracking my fare for that cruise for 6 months and it hasn’t risen in A$ price (base price that is) - of course “deals and offers” come and go but they’re typically on a range of cruises as opposed to the base price of the cruise

My point was made in response to your comment which effectively suggested the SSP 42% increase was down to the A$ exchange rate against the US$ deteriorating - but the A$ has only deteriorated by less than 4% over the last 12 months against the US$

While that might be the xe currency rate, or similar, that is never the exchange rate that consumers experience. Banks will add on a few % to transactions. 

My original price for SSP for 21 days was $530. Equates to $25 AUD. Which was probably underpriced. The current price is $740 pp. Equates to $35 pp. Ouch. Luckily I'd bought it a month ago. Wouldn't be worth it now. I think it might be a catch up adjustment. 🤷‍♀️

I see it includes drinks up to $18 now but think the Drapper is the only glass at that price. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

While that might be the xe currency rate, or similar, that is never the exchange rate that consumers experience. Banks will add on a few % to transactions. 

Banks had that fee 12 months ago (and before) and will continue to do so going forward - the bank charge rate is a constant

So the realised exchange rate change has been just short of 4% - so where’s the other 38% of the A$ price increase to SSP come from? (No need to answer as only Viking could answer that)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Banks had that fee 12 months ago (and before) and will continue to do so going forward - the bank charge rate is a constant

So the realised exchange rate change has been just short of 4% - so where’s the other 38% of the A$ price increase to SSP come from? (No need to answer as only Viking could answer that)

I added a bit to my post. Don't think it's worth it for Aussies anymore. 

According to a barman on Sky, Viking were making a profit on the SSP sold to US people, and a loss when sold to other nationalities, perhaps they're adjusting pricing as a result. 

We've just checked the price we payed a year ago for next month, it's £15 a day each! No problem, we spend more than that in our inexpensive local

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

According to a barman on Sky, Viking were making a profit on the SSP sold to US people, and a loss when sold to other nationalities, perhaps they're adjusting pricing as a result. 

We've just checked the price we payed a year ago for next month, it's £15 a day each! No problem, we spend more than that in our inexpensive local

I've just done an XE currency conversion. $35 AUD per day charged for Aussies now, equates to $24.10 USD. $25AUD a day, the old price, equates to $17.00 USD.   So Viking is still behind. 

Edited by Pushka

This just really cemented our decision to buy a few bottles of wine and liquor in port before we board and not buy the SS package. We figure that we'll be in port every day exploring and probably drinking off of the ship anyway. We don't need to be drinking as much as would make it (the SS package) worth it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KaDarr said:

This just really cemented our decision to buy a few bottles of wine and liquor in port before we board and not buy the SS package. We figure that we'll be in port every day exploring and probably drinking off of the ship anyway. We don't need to be drinking as much as would make it (the SS package) worth it.

We have done similar especially when we stop at a port with duty free alcohol available to purchase.  The biggest downside has been the lack of social interaction at the various bars. 

36 minutes ago, KaDarr said:

So, is it a serious 'no-no' to pour yourself a glass of wine in your cabin and then go hang out with said glass of wine in the Explorers Lounge (for instance)?

Not at all - you are welcome to do just that, or bring the bottle with you - no fear of a corkage charge for leaving your cabin. The staff will happily pour it for you if you wish. This is a very nice feature on Viking. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

Well then, I don't understand Clay's comment about bringing your own wine/liquor squashing social interaction. We have definitely decided to not purchase the SS package. If we want to, we can buy a martini or whatnot at the bar but I think that having our own wine and maybe gin and vodka in our cabin is the best way to go. I won't feel like I have to keep drinking all day in order to get my money's worth. (Even though I'm sure it would probably be only two or three drinks that would cover that $25 per day)

So, that being said... I hope they sell some good wine and liquor in Bergen, Norway.

1 minute ago, KaDarr said:

Well then, I don't understand Clay's comment about bringing your own wine/liquor squashing social interaction. We have definitely decided to not purchase the SS package. If we want to, we can buy a martini or whatnot at the bar but I think that having our own wine and maybe gin and vodka in our cabin is the best way to go. I won't feel like I have to keep drinking all day in order to get my money's worth. (Even though I'm sure it would probably be only two or three drinks that would cover that $25 per day)

So, that being said... I hope they sell some good wine and liquor in Bergen, Norway.

If I’m hanging out in a bar, it means I’m usually alone so usually sit at the bar. While I’m sure the bartenders wouldn’t say a word, I would feel strange arriving with my premade G&T or handing them a bottle of Gin and asking them to make me one.  Just me, YMMV. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KaDarr said:

I’m sure they do but, Bergen is very expensive for everything - probably be cheaper to get the SSP 😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KaDarr said:

A couple of State liquor stores (only place to buy alcohol in Norway)….one near the train station and one a bit of a walk from the ship. Alcohol is expensive in Scandinavia as you are paying a tax for social programs associated with alcohol, etc. Name of the store, Vinmonopolet.

58 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

I’m sure they do but, Bergen is very expensive for everything - probably be cheaper to get the SSP 😂😂

And how, beer is from £10 a pint, wine the same a glass. We had 3 beers and 2 glasses of wine, tab was £100. In our local tab would be £19.60