Price Increase for Silver Spirits Package and Gratuities?

vslparis

Hubby And I bought the SSP on the Star Christmas/New Years cruise.  I understand the need for an increase in price, still reasonable compared to other lines.  My problem is with the lack of inventory.  When we signed up there were 5 red wines listed, I ordered one..out of stock, on one day 1 of a 2 week cruise.  They also didn't have the white my husband ordered. Within a week they ran out of the white I was drinking.  To their credit they substituted a nicer white that was usually sold by the bottle.  About 8 days into the cruise the wine steward told me they had gotten new stock, a merlot (among other wines) I would like.  These new wines were never added to any of the wine lists and guests only found out about it if they saw it being poured at the bar.  Upshot...for the price, Viking should list what is available and have what they list.  House wine was still 5, other by the glass 8.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 8:17 PM, WNcruiser said:

50% discount for premium tasting events? Didn’t those used to be free with the package? 

They always have a Wine Tasting event that is free for SSP and a charge (30?) for non-SSP.  Then later in the cruise, they do a "Premium" Wine Tasting event that is half off for SSP ($30 vs $60).  This has been the case for our past ocean cruises since COVID.

Personally the "free with SSP" Wine tasting has always been quite good.  Not sure the "Premium" was really premium IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shipshape54 said:

Hubby And I bought the SSP on the Star Christmas/New Years cruise.  I understand the need for an increase in price, still reasonable compared to other lines.  My problem is with the lack of inventory.  When we signed up there were 5 red wines listed, I ordered one..out of stock, on one day 1 of a 2 week cruise.  They also didn't have the white my husband ordered. Within a week they ran out of the white I was drinking.  To their credit they substituted a nicer white that was usually sold by the bottle.  About 8 days into the cruise the wine steward told me they had gotten new stock, a merlot (among other wines) I would like.  These new wines were never added to any of the wine lists and guests only found out about it if they saw it being poured at the bar.  Upshot...for the price, Viking should list what is available and have what they list.  House wine was still 5, other by the glass 8.

We did the Star at Christmas too!

Were also very disappointed in the inventory of red wines as well.  I actually asked them at one point could they tell me what few wines were left and they said just order something.  So I did (this was at Manfredis) and the wine steward would come back and say, we are out of that.  I wound up doing this 4 times before finding something they had in stock.   ALL of them had been listed on the wine list.  I even asked about Merlot and they told me that they didn't have any.  It went too quickly and also was being saved for the bars.   What made it sad was that the Neptune, 1 day behind us, had pretty much all the wines, so hard to say it was a "stocking" problem.  Also funny were the excuses they would give.  They ran out of Ste Michelle Chardonnay (my wife's favorite) after a few days and the excuse was - we didn't expect people to drink that many bottles !  🙂  had to laugh at that one.  Just poor beverage management I would say.

I was also drinking the Ste Michelle, they substituted the Tarapaca for me when they ran out. Normally the Tarapaca is by the bottle.  They did get Barton & Guestier merlot & cabernet in one of the ports, which the steward recommended, and was good. However, as I said, unless you saw them pour it, you wouldn't know it was available.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, SantaFe1 said:

Ouch!  SSP is in my cart and now has increased substantially.  That will teach me to procrastinate!!

Does not matter if you procrastinate, Viking just increased my SS with a new invoice when I asked for a change.  Even though my existing invoice was lower, they increased it.  Nothing like honouring the price originally quoted.

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Does not matter if you procrastinate, Viking just increased my SS with a new invoice when I asked for a change.  Even though my existing invoice was lower, they increased it.  Nothing like honouring the price originally quoted.

I just find this astonishing!  

6 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I just find this astonishing!  

I don't think even Amazon offers guaranteed pricing if something is in your shopping basket but not yet paid for. I've seen price alerts in my basket for increase and decrease in prices since I put the item in the basket. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:34 PM, Shipshape54 said:

My problem is with the lack of inventory.  When we signed up there were 5 red wines listed, I ordered one..out of stock, on one day 1 of a 2 week cruise. 

It was the same on the Sky.  by the last day of the cruise most of my preferred wines were out (or, in the case of the Gavi, were never available).

33 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I don't think even Amazon offers guaranteed pricing if something is in your shopping basket but not yet paid for. I've seen price alerts in my basket for increase and decrease in prices since I put the item in the basket. 

You are absolutely correct about Amazon.  I might have misunderstood CDNPolar.  What happened to me was I had the SSBP in my cart for $x on Jan. 1, the day the prices increased, and went to purchase it for $x.  My transaction went through, and they thanked me for purchasing.  Next thing I know MVJ shows I haven’t paid in full, for a cruise I had paid in full 3-4 months ago.  I couldn’t book anything else until I “paid in full,” which meant the extra $175 I think it was for the package.  I had never received  an alert from Viking that the item I wanted to purchase had changed price.  I had to have my TA get in touch with Viking the next day and pay the extra.  I thought it was bad enough on the day of the change over, and I though CDNPolar had the same thing happen weeks later.  Just no excuse for that, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

You are absolutely correct about Amazon.  I might have misunderstood CDNPolar.  What happened to me was I had the SSBP in my cart for $x on Jan. 1, the day the prices increased, and went to purchase it for $x.  My transaction went through, and they thanked me for purchasing.  Next thing I know MVJ shows I haven’t paid in full, for a cruise I had paid in full 3-4 months ago.  I couldn’t book anything else until I “paid in full,” which meant the extra $175 I think it was for the package.  I had never received  an alert from Viking that the item I wanted to purchase had changed price.  I had to have my TA get in touch with Viking the next day and pay the extra.  I thought it was bad enough on the day of the change over, and I though CDNPolar had the same thing happen weeks later.  Just no excuse for that, in my opinion.

Yes, in that scenario the price should have been as per the original purchase.

• 4 months later...
On 1/23/2023 at 5:38 AM, KAM69 said:

What alcohol-free beer and wine does Viking offer ?

Yes, they have both in every bar. I am on the Jupiter for the last full day.

Others have posted the bar menus on various threads here. The one live report  by CCWine Lover has the wine menus on his live trip report on the Viking Saturn. 

Edited by Azulann

Just now, purpleally said:

Does ss have to be purchased immediately, the first night, or might I be able to wait a couple of nights/days to purchase?

I believe it has to be purchased at least by the first full day onboard.

28 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Does ss have to be purchased immediately, the first night, or might I be able to wait a couple of nights/days to purchase?

You have to purchase for the entire cruise, that much I know so you might as well buy it by the first day 

• Like 1

With the increase in cost of the SS package, where we have always purchased this before, we probably won't any longer.

We are wine lovers and we have preferred the expanded selection of the wines provided by the SS package, but now think that we will drink the included at meals and then buy one or two glasses in the evening off the expanded list.

At this stage, we would never spend in an evening what the cost of the SS package is per day for the two of us.

We don't care about spirits and cocktails... we are just about the wine.

(And... we have found with friends that did not buy the SS package, that sometimes in the dining room at night, there can be some loose rules about the wines that are poured, and they are not always pouring just the included wines.)

The above is not always the case, but has happened.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

With the increase in cost of the SS package, where we have always purchased this before, we probably won't any longer.

We are wine lovers and we have preferred the expanded selection of the wines provided by the SS package, but now think that we will drink the included at meals and then buy one or two glasses in the evening off the expanded list.

At this stage, we would never spend in an evening what the cost of the SS package is per day for the two of us.

We don't care about spirits and cocktails... we are just about the wine.

(And... we have found with friends that did not buy the SS package, that sometimes in the dining room at night, there can be some loose rules about the wines that are poured, and they are not always pouring just the included wines.)

The above is not always the case, but has happened.

Likewise.  The wine quality by the glass has gone downhill from the first years we were on Viking Oceab 2018-19.  Just got off Saturn.  Disappointed in the choices.  Won’t be doing it again.  It’s probably best for hard liquor fans, not wine drinkers

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, seaway.dells_0 said:

Let’s say we are planning on late dinners after 8pm, would we be able to go to the buffet at 5 for a snack and included wine then too?

If wine is being served at the time you attend, then yes. I don't know if the World Cafe is open for dinner at 5pm on all cruises.

1 hour ago, seaway.dells_0 said:

Let’s say we are planning on late dinners after 8pm, would we be able to go to the buffet at 5 for a snack and included wine then too?

Afternoon tea is served between 4-5. Buffet typically opens at 6pm.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Afternoon tea is served between 4-5. Buffet typically opens at 6pm.

Yes - 6pm generally for World Cafe, but if you have a 7 or 7:30 dining reservation, you can have your appetizer in the WC with some wine and then head to the dining room.  All good.  We have seen others doing this.

• Like 1