Packing and shoes- suggestions appreciated for Buenos Aires to Santiago and Antarctica "drive by"

loveapug

My husband and I will be on a South America and Antarctica trip from Buenos Aires to Santiago in February, and visiting Iguazu Falls pre-trip.  I am hoping anyone can weigh in on what type of shoes to wear and packing suggestions in general.

Foot ware questions: We typically wear sports type shoes aka "trainers" as our everyday shoes.  We will be walking on the pathways at the falls, which I understand can sometimes be rainy and wet. Our other excursions are primarily long walks (not true hiking), although we hopefully will be able to walk out on Volunteer point in the Falkland Islands to see penguins. And I anticipate being out on deck to view Antarctica.  Should we purchase some lightweight hiking shoes/boots with good traction? Or would  having a back up pair of "trainers"/tennis shoes be sufficient? 

Clothing:  I understand we need to pack for warm days in Buenos Aires and Uruguay as well as cold weather as we travel further south. Did anyone feel they landed on the "just right" mix of types of clothing to pack (and we will use the ship's laundry services). 

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide. 

• Like 2

We were at Iguazu Falls last March.  The second day it rained all day.  We walked in the rain anyway.  It was warm.  The paths are all either wooden or paved.  Bring shoes that you can walk in while wet.  I ended up barefoot as I foolishly had on leather sandals.

Trainers are fine for being on deck.  I had some sneakers with fleece lining (fashionable right now, and warm).  

• Like 2

Pack for upper 30's to 90 F.  In Santiago, Buenos Aires and Montevideo to could be hot. If you do scenic cruising up to glaciers in Patagonia it could be the upper 30's and you will want to be outside on deck.  It could pour rain or be misty rainy.  Suggest 2 pairs of comfortable walking shoes that way you still have a dry pair to wear.  Have a jacket that is water and wind resistent with a hood.  Wear multiple layers underneath depending on the temperature and wind.  I wore a sundress or shorts/t-shirt up North.  As we traveled South we wore long pants, shoes and socks and layered long underwear tops, long sleeved shirt, fleece zip up or down vest under water/wind resistent hooded jacket.  The only item i only wore once was sandals with a sundress to dinner.  I find full shoes more comfortable for walking whether it is warm or cold.  We loved our trip in January-February 2020.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On our Feb 2018 trip we dressed similar to what TayanaLorna recommends. We read lots of posts with recommendations for special clothing and determine we definitely over-packed. Follow how you'd typically dress during cold and hot wet weather, while following the concept of layering so you can adjust with the change in temperature. One recent recommendation that I read for Volunteer Point was to bring painters booties so the penguin poop doesn't damage your footwear. You can toss the soiled booties in the trash before leaving in your transport vehicle. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

We did a similar trip in 2019. We made sure to take two pairs of trainers for walking. Made sure they had decent traction and sprayed with waterproofing spray. Great idea to take painters’ booties for protection against penguin mess.

We took joggers for the colder days on the balcony/ around the ship with layered tops. Took thermal vests in case we needed an extra layer.but we didn’t need them. Most colder days a long sleeved T shirt with a light weight fleece was fine. To go ashore a T shirt with Merino wool jumper and either jeans or joggers did the trick. We wore puffa jackets with hats, scarves and gloves. Needed socks. Took thick tights as extra layer but again didn’t need them.

Santiago, Montevideo, BA were warm weather clothes. Took vacuum bags to store jackets in hand luggage for trip home from BA…to hand but not taking too much space.

Wore typical evening wear with open toed sandals/ bare legs for dinner and later on. Made sure I had a wrap, just in case..not sure I actually used it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For our sailing around Antarctica on Azamara Pursuit after week in Peru pre cruise. Wore crops and trainers in Lima, long pants  and socks with trainers in Cusco and Machu Picchu. I brought three pairs of shoes, trainers/hiking shoes, black faux leather Easy Spirit Traveler slip ons, and comply hiking sandals. I also threw In a pair of flat rubber flip flops for to/from the pool or hot tub

The wind and cold is pretty biting in Antarctica. I wore Cuddleduds (kind of like longjohns) and am happy for them. I also suggest glove liners  as my hands got pretty cold. I bought an alpaca scarf in Peru. Raincoat  over a fleece plus my fleece hat. Figured out after a while that I brought along a stylus. I can use that for my iPhone to take a photo or video without having to take off my gloves. Wish I’had brought warmer socks. 

Edited by trk_koa
Sentence structure
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello, we are big hikers/walkers when we travel, and have been to Antarctica (boots on the ground), the Artic region, and have hiked from icy Greenland, to damp Victoria Falls, to jungly Costa Rica, among others. For me, my favorite hikers are hands down the Merrell Women's Moab 3 (I currently have the Moab 2, but the 3 is out now), in the low version (not the higher ankle "mid" version), in Gore Tex (they also come in Regular with no coating, and in Waterproof versions). As you said you like trainers, you will possibly like the look of these, as they have a somewhat trainer appearance but with a hiking traction bottom. I will try to post a link or photo below. They are expensive but last forever and are comfortable right out of the box. 

They come in several colors, so you have options on what you like. My first pair I had for over 10 years, and had bought them in the dark brown. The next pair I bought, the ones I have now for a couple of years, I bought in a pale gray. I like the gray better, as I can wear it with leggings as well and have it look more like a trainer, or with travel material pants, or with shorts; I feel it coordinates with more things. 

I'm a light packer so I generally try to wear one pair of shoes and bring a second pair of shoes, but for certain itineraries I'll wear one pair of shoes and bring 2 other pairs of shoes. For what you mentioned, I'd probably have my Merrell Moabs with me, and then also a simple black (or natural color) flat like those made by Rothy's, and finally a comfortable walking sandal that is cute as well, like the Taos Trophy 2 sandal in pewter. I own all of those shoes and travel with them regularly, and can recommend them. 

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-3-gore-tex/52985W.html?dwvar_52985W_color=J036318#cgid=women-footwear-hiking&start=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@terry&mike

I, too, love Merrill Moabs!

Wore a pair through Norway, a week in Rome, and all the Med ports last fall.   They were great on all surfaces and went well enough with shorts, pants, and even sundresses 😀

Do you understand the difference between the “Waterproof” and the Gore-tex versions?

I now realize mine are Ventilator model, but kept my feet dry through showers in Tromso ( the rain pants likely helped there).  
Trying to decide if I need official waterproof version of Moabs for Iceland in June (and S America/Antarctica later).  

thanks!

Mary

10 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

@terry&mike

I, too, love Merrill Moabs!

Wore a pair through Norway, a week in Rome, and all the Med ports last fall.   They were great on all surfaces and went well enough with shorts, pants, and even sundresses 😀

Do you understand the difference between the “Waterproof” and the Gore-tex versions?

I now realize mine are Ventilator model, but kept my feet dry through showers in Tromso ( the rain pants likely helped there).  
Trying to decide if I need official waterproof version of Moabs for Iceland in June (and S America/Antarctica later).  

thanks!

Mary

A person of excellent taste! 

My understanding of the difference between the Waterproof and GoreTex versions is that the waterproof version is coated with a waterproofing product that seals the shoe in a way that is not as breathable. Conversely, the GoreTex repels water (but may be slightly less waterproof), but allows your feet to breath, making them more comfortable for long walks, and so on. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, southerngoose said:

Hi...can anyone tell me whether the penguins smell or am I only worried about penguin poop?   I like the idea of the painter booties.

Yes, the penguins do smell a bit, but it was quite windy during our trip, so not too bad unless you are overly sensitive to smelly animals and like to stand close to them. When we arrived at Volunteer Point one of our fellow cruisers offered me a pair of OR booties to wear, which I initially declined. Not 2 minutes later I was gratefully accepting her offer. The poop was everywhere! We also walked amongst the penguins at El Pedral, but it wasn't so bad there.  

• Like 1