Terrible POS system

Just off Oasis and had a fantastic time.  But I continue to have the same observation the last few cruises that I just can’t shake.

Royal Caribbean is a HUGE operation, dozens of ships, tens of thousands of passengers, an unimaginable inventory stream to manage.  And overall, they really do it impressively well.  This requires some powerful technology. They’re basically a logistics company more than anything else.

So, what I can’t figure out is with all that ability and technology, how is it that they have possibly the most godawful shipside POS system one could conceive?  Go to a bar and order a beer with a beverage package, and it appears to take close to a dozen clicks or movements for the poor bartender to complete the transaction.  Wait staff in the MDR still scribbling orders down on paper.  God forbid you want a drink on Labadee where they need to manually write down your information.

It's just stunning to me that what really wouldn’t be that challenging of a fix seems totally lost on them.  Bar service comes to a screeching halt, not because the staff can’t handle the customers or the orders, but because they are trapped tapping away the POS system for liteally half the time.

I don’t get it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It's just another sign of how inept RCI's Information Technology department is. I am dumbfounded how a company this large can be so far behind everyone else.

I think that's a little bit of a copout to be honest.  The logistic involved in booking, filling, scheduling and running these ships is so far beyond the level needed for this basic operation, it just seems nonsensical. What they do, they do incredibly well.  It seems that an improved system like this would only be of benefit all around.

14 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Just off Oasis and had a fantastic time.  But I continue to have the same observation the last few cruises that I just can’t shake.

Royal Caribbean is a HUGE operation, dozens of ships, tens of thousands of passengers, an unimaginable inventory stream to manage.  And overall, they really do it impressively well.  This requires some powerful technology. They’re basically a logistics company more than anything else.

So, what I can’t figure out is with all that ability and technology, how is it that they have possibly the most godawful shipside POS system one could conceive?  Go to a bar and order a beer with a beverage package, and it appears to take close to a dozen clicks or movements for the poor bartender to complete the transaction.  Wait staff in the MDR still scribbling orders down on paper.  God forbid you want a drink on Labadee where they need to manually write down your information.

It's just stunning to me that what really wouldn’t be that challenging of a fix seems totally lost on them.  Bar service comes to a screeching halt, not because the staff can’t handle the customers or the orders, but because they are trapped tapping away the POS system for liteally half the time.

I don’t get it.

Not sure what ships you have been on, but I found none of the problems that you indicate.  Since sailing opened up, I've been on Mariner, Oasis (2X), Allure and Anthem (2X).  The only delay that I experience is when I order a drink in the WJ, theatre or other entertainment venues and the pool area. 

Is the problem a manpower issue, a process issue, or a technology issue? maybe they haven't completed a LEAN process or a Six Sigma project to make that actual determination.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Not sure what ships you have been on, but I found none of the problems that you indicate.  Since sailing opened up, I've been on Mariner, Oasis (2X), Allure and Anthem (2X).  The only delay that I experience is when I order a drink in the WJ, theatre or other entertainment venues and the pool area. 

I don't even know what to say. I've been on a dozen cruises in the past few years I've seen it constantly. Now it doesn't necessarily slow down my getting the drink as they tend to make and serve it first.  But when I watch them, I realize this is in no way a user-friendly POS system.  Things that should be two touches and a card are three to four times that. It absolutely tends to slow things down when the bar is two or three deep and they are spending way more time punching buttons than need be.

Honestly, if you haven't noticed this, then either you haven't been watching, or you are in no way tuned in to what it's like to work with poorly designed tech.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

Is the problem a manpower issue, a process issue, or a technology issue? maybe they haven't completed a LEAN process or a Six Sigma project to make that actual determination.

Oh, it's DEFINITELY a technology issue.  A LEAN process would be fine, but simply looking at the operation makes it painfully clear.  Even at CocoaCay, at the bar at the lagoon pool, there was a ton of people waiting and the poor bartenders were waiting for each other to finish up on the few POS tablets they had to punch in drinks.

• Like 1

Just now, leisuretraveler223 said:

Oh, it's DEFINITELY a technology issue.  A LEAN process would be fine, but simply looking at the operation makes it painfully clear.  Even at CocoaCay, at the bar at the lagoon pool, there was a ton of people waiting and the poor bartenders were waiting for each other to finish up on the few POS tablets they had to punch in drinks.

Corporations and "painfully clear" doesn't compute in too many cases these days.

POS systems aren't simple when you have many dozen things that can be ordered. Plus many variations to how an individual thing can be ordered. Plus many ways they can be ordered (a la carte, vouchers, beverage packages, etc).

RC POS systems aren't done in house. It's a 3rd party 

https://www.agilysys.com/en/solutions/by-industry/cruise-lines/

Edited by smokeybandit

1 minute ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I don't even know what to say. I've been on a dozen cruises in the past few years I've seen it constantly. Now it doesn't necessarily slow down my getting the drink as they tend to make and serve it first.  But when I watch them, I realize this is in no way a user-friendly POS system.  Things that should be two touches and a card are three to four times that. It absolutely tends to slow things down when the bar is two or three deep and they are spending way more time punching buttons than need be.

Honestly, if you haven't noticed this, then either you haven't been watching, or you are in no way tuned in to what it's like to work with poorly designed tech.

I'm not saying that they have a great IT system.  For instance, I booked 4 cabins while on Oasis in December and it took some 45 minutes to an hour for completion.  Don't understand why their system simply populate the necessary information by entering the individual C&A #.

The main concern to the company is for the system to do everything they want it to do for accounting purposes. They don’t care how cumbersome it is for staff to use. Another case where the staff has to get the job done no matter the circumstances. It is no better in restaurants on land. Any time in my jobs when we’ve gotten a new system, they tell us first “you’re going to like it” then “it’ll be good when the bugs get worked out” till finally “we’re stuck with it and we don’t want to hear any more complaining about it. “

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's a sign to me they don't fund IT properly.  It happens in lots of companies especially when IT reports to the CFO. 

Lack of IT funding is one of the main issues with Southwest Airlines cancellations.

52 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Wait staff in the MDR still scribbling orders down on paper. 

They tried a mobile electronic device when Quantum came out - that didn't last long before they went back to paper. Not all technology translates to improved efficiency.

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Lack of IT funding is one of the main issues with Southwest Airlines cancellations.

Not true:  Southwest philosophically has been adverse to updating their technology for years, according to articles in WSJ.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

They tried a mobile electronic device when Quantum came out - that didn't last long before they went back to paper. Not all technology translates to improved efficiency.

That is true. But technology changes very rapidly over a short period of time. What might not have worked then, may well do so now or very soon. In terms of tech, the launch of Quantum was a lifetime ago.

15 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

The main concern to the company is for the system to do everything they want it to do for accounting purposes. They don’t care how cumbersome it is for staff to use. Another case where the staff has to get the job done no matter the circumstances. It is no better in restaurants on land. Any time in my jobs when we’ve gotten a new system, they tell us first “you’re going to like it” then “it’ll be good when the bugs get worked out” till finally “we’re stuck with it and we don’t want to hear any more complaining about it. “

Not true:  speaking from experience, part of the evaluation process for technology is the end-user experience and its impact upon the customer/guest.  Who wants to invest in technology that results in an increase to labor costs to inefficiencies in new technology?  

3 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This makes no sense. You disagreed with the previous poster and then said the same thing.

Let me make the same point by breaking down my words so you're not confused:

Southwest did NOT want to explore new technology.

Southwest had the money to invest in technology.

Southwest chose NOT to upgrade their technology NOT because a lack of funding.

Southwest did NOT have money issues that caused them to cut back on technology spending.

Source:  WSJ

2 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Let me make the same point by breaking down my words so you're not confused:

Southwest did NOT want to explore new technology.

Southwest had the money to invest in technology.

Southwest chose NOT to upgrade their technology NOT because a lack of funding.

Southwest did NOT have money issues that caused them to cut back on technology spending.

Source:  WSJ

Southwest, much like RC, operates on old technology because upgrading costs money and right now they have no issue filling flights so why invest such capital?

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I don’t get it.

Unlike a subsequent poster who claims these issues don't exist, I believe that you must have an experienced eye or background in the hospitality industry, because I agree with you on their POS.

It was PAINFUL on Coco Cay to see bartenders struggle with a tiny 3"by5" tablet-like device masquerading as a POS:  Meanwhile the line grew longer and longer.

If RCI Corporate is aware of the issue, which I believe they certainly are, I'd bet a new POS is on the wish list.  These are indeed 3rd Party systems and I'm sure the big players will each drive their most competitive offer to gain the business.

However... given debt load, and unlike Southwest, funding is the issue.  Until expensive debt is eliminated from the books, a capital project of this magnitude probably won't get a green light.   

23 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This makes no sense. You disagreed with the previous poster and then said the same thing.

Thanks, you said it for me. I guess lack of funding and adverse are on the opposite side of the spectrum.🤣

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Southwest, much like RC, operates on old technology because upgrading costs money and right now they have no issue filling flights so why invest such capital?

Again, money wasn't the issue at Southwest:  they simply took too long to realize they had outgrown their "Skysolver" software that served them well as a small carrier.  Southwest has been investing in technology.

From the WSJ article titled "How Southwest Airlines Melted Down":

Before it grew from a small player to a national and then international airline, Southwest didn’t need the same kinds of commercial platforms that rivals used, and developed many of its own systems instead. As Southwest grew and took on more complicated operations, such as flying outside the U.S., that has changed. SkySolver, an off-the-shelf piece of software that Southwest has customized and updated, was nearing the end of its life, the airline said.  The airline’s pilots and flight attendants have said outdated technology is one reason Southwest has struggled to rebound.

Whereas with RCI, it's purely an issue of capital.

22 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Not true:  speaking from experience, part of the evaluation process for technology is the end-user experience and its impact upon the customer/guest.  Who wants to invest in technology that results in an increase to labor costs to inefficiencies in new technology?  

The labor costs aren’t that much, often less than min wage, often the users are tipped employees. I am sure in some industries, technology that’s efficient to use is a priority, but not so in restaurants/hospitality.