Celebrity Price Gouging! - Drink package upgrade

DVDmedic

On 1/7/2023 at 9:43 AM, NMTraveller said:

I am looking at the 90 day ticker for cruises.  While inflation may be king, there are some ships that are not being filled and I am seeing some crazy low prices.  One case is a 21 day cruise to Antartica for $200 (not Celebrity).  I would book it now if schedule allowed.

I don't see it on their ticker.

Which cruiseline?

(thanks)

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Can you elaborate on how Celebrity made you happy? Did you get the upgrade at the old price? 

They gave me an onboard credit to use for the upgraded beverage package, which effectively reduced the price to an acceptable level

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DVDmedic said:

They gave me an onboard credit to use for the upgraded beverage package, which effectively reduced the price to an acceptable level

Nicely done Celebrity, and glad you were persistent with them, def paid off. I didn’t act quickly enough and now the difference between the classic and Premium doesn’t make sense for us. There’s not worrying about signing slips and then there’s just paying a ridiculous amount for that comfort lol, especially when our dollar is so weak we’re almost paying 140%…we’ll stick to paying the difference on the drinks that are over classic in February. 

• Like 1

How about Bait and Switch?  We booked our cruise over a year ago which included the Classic drink package (which included the Zero alcohol package).  Now 3 weeks before sailing, the zero alcohol (which was included when we booked) is now longer included.  They are asking an additional $440.  

BAIT AND SWITCH

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Larry lobster said:

How about Bait and Switch?  We booked our cruise over a year ago which included the Classic drink package (which included the Zero alcohol package).  Now 3 weeks before sailing, the zero alcohol (which was included when we booked) is now longer included.  They are asking an additional $440.  

BAIT AND SWITCH

Are you sure?  Everything in the zero alcohol package *is* included in the classic alcohol package.   Do you mean classic no-alcohol package?

10 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:
12 minutes ago, Larry lobster said:

BAIT AND SWITCH

Are you sure?  Everything in the zero alcohol package *is* included in the classic alcohol package.   Do you mean classic no-alcohol package?

This blog post on Celebrity's website (which appears updated for the new packages) implies non-alcoholic beverages are no longer included in the classic package plus the drink package comparison is completely silent on non-alcoholic beverages.  Personally, I don't think this blog post is right as I'm doubtful Celebrity eliminated all non-alcoholic drinks from their base package.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/cruise-drink-packages

Now compare that with what I see in my cruise planner when I try to purchase the classic package (the exact same language for zero proof drinks is also listed in the premium package):

• Zero Proof: Acqua Panna water, Evian water, San Pellegrino, Premium coffees, Red Bull & Editions, Sodas, Premium teas, Vitamin water, Bottled Iced Teas, Aqua Spa Fresh Juices, Zero Proof Cocktails Frozen & Non-Frozen

This seems to be an expansion of what the classic package included (fancy waters and energy drinks are two I know previously were not included).  I'm not sure I believe this is true either.

@Larry lobster I expect your classic package still includes basic non-alcoholic drinks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Larry lobster said:

BAIT AND SWITCH

?  Lucky for you that you are mistaken.  Do not pay to upgrade unless you want to the premium package.

Edited by jagoffee

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

This blog post on Celebrity's website (which appears updated for the new packages) implies non-alcoholic beverages are no longer included in the classic package plus the drink package comparison is completely silent on non-alcoholic beverages.  Personally, I don't think this blog post is right as I'm doubtful Celebrity eliminated all non-alcoholic drinks from their base package.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/cruise-drink-packages

Now compare that with what I see in my cruise planner when I try to purchase the classic package (the exact same language for zero proof drinks is also listed in the premium package):

• Zero Proof: Acqua Panna water, Evian water, San Pellegrino, Premium coffees, Red Bull & Editions, Sodas, Premium teas, Vitamin water, Bottled Iced Teas, Aqua Spa Fresh Juices, Zero Proof Cocktails Frozen & Non-Frozen

This seems to be an expansion of what the classic package included (fancy waters and energy drinks are two I know previously were not included).  I'm not sure I believe this is true either.

@Larry lobster I expect your classic package still includes basic non-alcoholic drinks.

I was told that the “Zero Proof” package is not part of the Classic beverage package, even though it was listed on their website.  That was from the person on the normal Celebrity phone number and their supervisor.

3 minutes ago, DVDmedic said:

I was told that the “Zero Proof” package is not part of the Classic beverage package, even though it was listed on their website.  That was from the person on the normal Celebrity phone number and their supervisor.

And that may be true because the zero proof package includes more than what used to be in the classic beverage package.  So I would be surprised if the entire zero proof package actually is included.  Did you ask what non-alcoholic drinks are included in the classic package?

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, DVDmedic said:

When I look at the Classic Drink package for my cruise in a couple of days this is what is says

What's Included

• Vodkas: Absolut and flavors, New Amsterdam, Smirnoff, Tito’s
  • Whiskeys: Dewar’s White Label, Famous Grouse, Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker Red, Monkey Shoulder, Seagram’s VO
  • Rums: Bacardi, Captain Morgan’s, Kraken Black Spiced, Malibu, Myer’s, Wray & Nephew
  • Tequilas: Don Julio Blanco, Teremana Blanco
  • Beers: Alaska Brewing beers on Alaska sailings. Coors Light, Corona, Franziskaner, Heineken, Kirin, Kirin Light, Miller Lite, Moretti, Newcastle Brown Ale, Strongbow hard ciders, Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra
  • Gins: Beefeater, Gordon’s, Praire Gin
  • Liqueurs and Cognacs: Campari, Galliano, Hennessy VS, Kahlua, Licor 43, Ouzo, Romana Sambuca, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria
  • A large selection of wines from various regions around the world, including California, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Chile and Australia

28 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

When I look at the Classic Drink package for my cruise in a couple of days this is what is says

What's Included

• Whiskeys: Dewar’s White Label, Famous Grouse, Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker Red, Monkey Shoulder, Seagram’s VO
  • Rums: Bacardi, Captain Morgan’s, Kraken Black Spiced, Malibu, Myer’s, Wray & Nephew
  • Beers: Alaska Brewing beers on Alaska sailings. Coors Light, Corona, Franziskaner, Heineken, Kirin, Kirin Light, Miller Lite, Moretti, Newcastle Brown Ale, Strongbow hard ciders, Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra
  • Liqueurs and Cognacs: Campari, Galliano, Hennessy VS, Kahlua, Licor 43, Ouzo, Romana Sambuca, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria
  • A large selection of wines from various regions around the world, including California, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Chile and Australia

Please come back and let us know what is actually included once you're on board.

We've always upgraded to Premium mostly for the Pellegrino - we drink enough of those per day to justify the what used to be $10.80/day upcharge. (I know it's much more than that now)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

What's Included

My gut says that is just poor updating of the website, especially since the Celebrity blog (linked from the drink package page on Celebrity's website) says the exact opposite (that no non-alcoholic drinks are included).  I'm hoping someone on board can confirm what truly is now included.

23 minutes ago, prmssk said:

My gut says that is just poor updating of the website, especially since the Celebrity blog (linked from the drink package page on Celebrity's website) says the exact opposite (that no non-alcoholic drinks are included).  I'm hoping someone on board can confirm what truly is now included.

IMO X should include the Zero Proof if those beverages were included when booked.  We have the Premium package for our next cruise but our friends did not upgrade.  I will be taking the listing with us and see if they can go to Guest Services to have it added at no charge. I will say that is a bait and switch since it was included when booked. 

Edited by Dar & Bob
changes

8 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Please provide the link to that

Found the blog - still looking for anything about the drink package.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog

EDIT: Found it but it appears to be old to me not updated

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/ultimate-guide-celebrity-cruises-perks

Edited by chamima

10 hours ago, prmssk said:

And that may be true because the zero proof package includes more than what used to be in the classic beverage package.  So I would be surprised if the entire zero proof package actually is included.  Did you ask what non-alcoholic drinks are included in the classic package?

I finally got a call (didn't answer as I don't answer numbers I don't know) from the woman from the executive office responding to my email about the reduced offerings n the OVC, etc. - she left a message and emailed me with her contact number. I'm planning to call her back later today and I'm adding "What non-alcoholic options are included with the Classic and Premium packages because there is a big difference in the planner and the basic drink package info page?" I'll report back if I get an answer.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dar & Bob said:

Please provide the link to that

It doesn't clearly say non-alcoholic drinks aren't included but it does specifically say that the Premium includes everything in the classic package plus a list of the typical non-alcholic drinks that used to be included.

"Our new All Included* package comes with a Classic Beverage Package, which allows you to consume an unlimited array of water, beers, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $10 per serving. The Classic Beverage Package also comes with a 15% discount on all bottles of wine.

Premium Beverage Packages include all of the options available in Classic Beverage Packages as well as premium coffees, freshly squeezed juices and bottled and canned juices, San Pellegrino, Red Bull, Vitamin Water, Honest Iced Teas, craft and artisan beers, premium liquors, Coca Cola products, premium bottled water, wines by the glass up to $17, and a 20% discount on bottles of wine."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/cruise-drink-packages

At the bottom of drink packages page on Celebrity's website (https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages) there is a link to "Guide to Cruise Drink Packages" which takes you to the blog post.

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I finally got a call (didn't answer as I don't answer numbers I don't know) from the woman from the executive office responding to my email about the reduced offerings n the OVC, etc. - she left a message and emailed me with her contact number. I'm planning to call her back later today and I'm adding "What non-alcoholic options are included with the Classic and Premium packages because there is a big difference in the planner and the basic drink package info page?" I'll report back if I get an answer.

If you don't mind please mention the new room service charge also.

(I can't say why, but that one really bothers me, even though we only order what they consider continental breakfast so it won't personally affect me.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chamima said:

If you don't mind please mention the new room service charge also.

(I can't say why, but that one really bothers me, even though we only order what they consider continental breakfast so it won't personally affect me.)

I'll try - but I mentioned in my email that room service is not an option for me since I'm gluten-free and I've always been told not to do room service because that kitchen is not allergy-safe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'll try - but I mentioned in my email that room service is not an option for me since I'm gluten-free and I've always been told not to do room service because that kitchen is not allergy-safe.

So please don't mess up your own issues by mentioning room service.

I'm afraid if you talk about room service you'll totally lose the emphasis of why you need the buffet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chamima said:

So please don't mess up your own issues by mentioning room service.

I'm afraid if you talk about room service you'll totally lose the emphasis of why you need the buffet.

I do have to ask if that is the case that those of us with allergies should avoid room service - if I'm assured that it is fine, I'll bring up the charge.  🙂 I want to help if I can!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, prmssk said:

It doesn't clearly say non-alcoholic drinks aren't included but it does specifically say that the Premium includes everything in the classic package plus a list of the typical non-alcholic drinks that used to be included.

"Our new All Included* package comes with a Classic Beverage Package, which allows you to consume an unlimited array of water, beers, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $10 per serving. The Classic Beverage Package also comes with a 15% discount on all bottles of wine.

Premium Beverage Packages include all of the options available in Classic Beverage Packages as well as premium coffees, freshly squeezed juices and bottled and canned juices, San Pellegrino, Red Bull, Vitamin Water, Honest Iced Teas, craft and artisan beers, premium liquors, Coca Cola products, premium bottled water, wines by the glass up to $17, and a 20% discount on bottles of wine."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/cruise-drink-packages

At the bottom of drink packages page on Celebrity's website (https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages) there is a link to "Guide to Cruise Drink Packages" which takes you to the blog post.

As I mentioned before, I will be telling our friends to go to guest services if they are being charged for bottled waters or sodas or coffees.  Those were definitely included when booked.  It's crazy that you sell one thing and then change it up.  We booked the Elevate package when that was still available and sure enough our Xpress pass only showed CALL so had to contact them.  When they make these changes they are going to have to distinguish with what you booked and paid for.   

Also we had a rep at X and now evidently they don't do that anymore.  So you don't have a contact person.  Not sure a TA can do any better from what I have been reading.  

Getting concerned about all of this since we have 2 more cruises booked with X right now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dar & Bob said:

As I mentioned before, I will be telling our friends to go to guest services if they are being charged for bottled waters or sodas or coffees.  Those were definitely included when booked.  It's crazy that you sell one thing and then change it up.  We booked the Elevate package when that was still available and sure enough our Xpress pass only showed CALL so had to contact them.  When they make these changes they are going to have to distinguish with what you booked and paid for.   

Also we had a rep at X and now evidently they don't do that anymore.  So you don't have a contact person.  Not sure a TA can do any better from what I have been reading.  

Getting concerned about all of this since we have 2 more cruises booked with X right now.  

I upgraded our drink package and our boarding pass also says "CALL".

Thank goodness I got an email confirming the upgrade and I have printed it out and am bringing it with me.

Not excited to spend my first day on board in line at Guest Services...................

54 minutes ago, chamima said:

Please come back and let us know what is actually included once you're on board.

We've always upgraded to Premium mostly for the Pellegrino - we drink enough of those per day to justify the what used to be $10.80/day upcharge. (I know it's much more than that now)

Exactly!   And we also don't want to show up at Cafe Bacio for our daily morning lattes to find out that they are NOT included in the Classic package anymore.  Soooo frustrating....  

40 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And if you don't mind, can you ask her for the cost to upgrade from Classic to Premium before sailing?  I am reluctant to stay on hold once again with the Captain's Club only to get a rep who doesn't know the answer.  Thanks in advance if you can.  

46 minutes ago, chamima said:

I upgraded our drink package and our boarding pass also says "CALL".

Thank goodness I got an email confirming the upgrade and I have printed it out and am bringing it with me.

Not excited to spend my first day on board in line at Guest Services...................

I called and they changed my Xpress pass - I don't want to wait in line at Guest Services.  So call ahead of time and they will change it. 

Edited by Dar & Bob