Queen Elizabeth cleaning hull

equinelady

The hull cleaning failed and QE had to abandon it and skip the Bay of Islands.  They offered all passengers a 50% discount of their current cruise fare against a future cruise.

They tried to clean the hull 12 nautical miles off the coast of Tauranga but only got 40% finished before a wind of 5 knots started pushing the ship towards the cleaning vessel and made it too dangerous to continue.

They were unable to find any port in NZ willing to let them clean the hull at shore.

They are now an hour late leaving Auckland with a few missing passengers because the communication was so poor a bunch of passengers thought there was a second full day in Auckland.  I bumped into people in 3 elevator rides this morning who were surprised we were leaving at 11 and not 8pm.

They kind of tried to make it sound like we got an extra day in Auckland instead of a day at the Bay of Islands but the ruse backfired.

Edited by need_a_holiday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, need_a_holiday said:

The hull cleaning failed and QE had to abandon it and skip the Bay of Islands.  They offered all passengers a 50% discount of their current cruise fare against a future cruise.

They tried to clean the hull 12 nautical miles off the coast of Tauranga but only got 40% finished before a wind of 5 knots started pushing the ship towards the cleaning vessel and made it too dangerous to continue.

They were unable to find any port in NZ willing to let them clean the hull at shore.

They are now an hour late leaving Auckland with a few missing passengers because the communication was so poor a bunch of passengers thought there was a second full day in Auckland.  I bumped into people in 3 elevator rides this morning who were surprised we were leaving at 11 and not 8pm.

They kind of tried to make it sound like we got an extra day in Auckland instead of a day at the Bay of Islands but the ruse backfired.

Oh goodness. You'd better give us some updates during the day as to how and when the passengers are found and the ship able to leave  Auckland. What a mess. Many people wouldn't have their phones on, unless they have a NZ plan, to save on the international roaming costs.

I'll be sailing to Auckland from Melbourne in mid-February so I'll be able to report on the situation then. Presumably they'll be able to get the hull's cleaning finished off the coast of Australia when they return in a few days' time, though.

The QE received a dirty hull notice from NZ authorities during the Christmas cruise preventing it from entering the first and last stops - Fjordland and Bay of Islands.  They tried to clean it during the Jan 5 NZ cruise while adrift at sea but had to abandon it only 40% through due to safety concerns for the cleaning boat and divers.

They couldn't find any port in NZ willing to let them clean the hull at port.  

If they don't find a way to finish the clean they will be skipping those stops on the Feb 14 cruise as well.

• Thanks 1

Supposed to be onboard at 11.  At 11:30 they asked for about 5 guests to report to the pursers desk.  At 12 they announced we would be leaving late due to some missing passengers.  12:30 and still tied up and gangplank still connected.  The sailaway band is a banger.

I am guessing they stayed in Auckland overnight and didn't hear the announcement this morning that we were leaving at 11.

Edited by need_a_holiday
  • Like 1

All passengers onboard!  Leaving around 1pm.  Sailway band is flagging.

A suggestion to the captain - next time announce it as a "day and a half in Auckland" instead of 2 days in Auckland.  Put signs up on the gangway with the departure time.

Edited by need_a_holiday
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, need_a_holiday said:

just left the port and shes still sitting there , last word from one of the officers standing at the dock gates was 12.30pm but that has come and gone and I can still see her there from my window.....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, need_a_holiday said:

The QE received a dirty hull notice from NZ authorities during the Christmas cruise preventing it from entering the first and last stops - Fjordland and Bay of Islands.  They tried to clean it during the Jan 5 NZ cruise while adrift at sea but had to abandon it only 40% through due to safety concerns for the cleaning boat and divers.

They couldn't find any port in NZ willing to let them clean the hull at port.  

If they don't find a way to finish the clean they will be skipping those stops on the Feb 14 cruise as well.

Any updates on when they will try and clean the hull? 
we are on 14 Feb cruise, coming from U.K. for  once in a lifetime trip to Australia and New Zealand . We’re booked originally for 2020 but Covid cancelled that.

7 hours ago, ScotsLady said:

Any updates on when they will try and clean the hull? 
we are on 14 Feb cruise, coming from U.K. for  once in a lifetime trip to Australia and New Zealand . We’re booked originally for 2020 but Covid cancelled that.

a friend in Sydney told me there would be doing it there when she gets back tomorrow......fingers crossed,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are also travelling from the UK for the 14 Feb  NZ trip. We also sail from Perth to Singapore on  7 March. We are really worried about this hull cleaning situation. I think I want to put a marker in the sand with Cunard that I will be taking them to the small claims court if hull cleaning results in port cancellations. The two cruises are 24 days of a 35 day trip. Totally unreasonable to expect ports to be cancelled through something that was a known issue.

1 hour ago, Dylancat said:

We are also travelling from the UK for the 14 Feb  NZ trip. We also sail from Perth to Singapore on  7 March. We are really worried about this hull cleaning situation. I think I want to put a marker in the sand with Cunard that I will be taking them to the small claims court if hull cleaning results in port cancellations. The two cruises are 24 days of a 35 day trip. Totally unreasonable to expect ports to be cancelled through something that was a known issue.

Good Luck !  come back and tell us if you were successful. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Good Luck !  come back and tell us if you were successful. 

When I was an hotel proprietor I was taken to the Small Claims Court on three occasions over 5 years. Folk used to think you would roll over at the thought of going to court.

The claimants (all separate) lost all three cases and from one I counter claimed  expenses. 

I join with you in anticipation. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

When I was an hotel proprietor I was taken to the Small Claims Court on three occasions over 5 years. Folk used to think you would roll over at the thought of going to court.

The claimants (all separate) lost all three cases and from one I counter claimed  expenses. 

I join with you in anticipation. 

55 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought you didn’t need lawyers for small claims.

I know three folk who wish they had. 😂

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dylancat said:

Maybe you better sue New Zealand.

• Haha 1

I thought it used to be the case that the standard Cunard terms and conditions included phrases about ports of call not being guaranteed, and that normally they would notify the passengers by email about any changes, if known before the voyage begins.  Of course with the best will in the world there will occasionally be a missed port for reasons such as bad weather, including winds too strong to make for a safe entry to port, or the port authority making a late change due to special circumstances that results in denied access to the berth. So with the authorities in this case requiring the cruise line to pay for divers to inspect the hull, and imposing a need to pay for the (quite lengthy) process to have divers clean the hull of the build-up, as well as inspecting it to check if it passes the local rules for the level of marine build-up before being permitted to dock, it is probably one of those events that passengers have to accept as a risk that changes the itinerary, though Cunard may well try to offer some recompense in terms of benefits to the passengers who are on board when this has  happened. Travel insurance policies may or may not cover this eventuality, and the small print in the contract for the insurance policy would need to be checked to see if there is any financial compensation when this happens.

Hi folks, It would be nice to think that Cunard  would respond truthfully  to my request for information on this in a timely manner. Thanks for your comments ballroom cruisers. We are seasoned travellers and appreciate that there are events out of the control of the cruise lines. The difference here is that Cunard know about the legal requirements for hull cleaning and should take steps to ensure  cruises can be completed as per their own schedules. I hope that they do not cancel ports after we have set off……….

The current Booking Conditions are in the file at https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/booking-condition-pdf/Cunard Booking Conditions October 20.pdf

They detail the issue of changes to the itinerary after departure at section 43.  I guess this is the contractual basis that we all accept upon making a booking for a Cunard voyage.

7 hours ago, Dylancat said:

The difference here is that Cunard know about the legal requirements for hull cleaning ……….

I think you’ll find that hull cleaning is not a legal requirement. What is required is an inspection. The result of that inspection will determine whether cleaning is required.

16 hours ago, Dylancat said:

Hi folks, It would be nice to think that Cunard  would respond truthfully  to my request for information on this in a timely manner. Thanks for your comments ballroom cruisers. We are seasoned travellers and appreciate that there are events out of the control of the cruise lines. The difference here is that Cunard know about the legal requirements for hull cleaning and should take steps to ensure  cruises can be completed as per their own schedules. I hope that they do not cancel ports after we have set off……….

My travel agent spoke to Cunard  in U.K. who said they intend doing the itinerary as published but said they no nothing about hull cleaning.

I tweeted Cunard and they did reply again saying they intended to to the published  itinerary but ignored my question about hull cleaning. I tweeted again and asked them to confirm the hull has been cleaned and they ignored the question and stated the itinerary will go ahead.

after reading things on here and on Facebook Cunard down under group I don’t believe we will get these ports. They worded the answer carefully, we intend doing the published itinerary …..doesn’t mean they will do it and they are still selling it

2 hours ago, ScotsLady said:

I tweeted again and asked them to confirm the hull has been cleaned...

The question, and any answer, is irrelevant.

The next time the ship returns to those sensitive areas the hull will be inspected again. The result of that inspection will determine what action needs to be taken, not whether it was cleaned this week, last week, or last month.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

The question, and any answer, is irrelevant.

The next time the ship returns to those sensitive areas the hull will be inspected again. The result of that inspection will determine what action needs to be taken, not whether it was cleaned this week, last week, or last month.

Actually, it does not need to be inspected, depending on how the line documents the measures it takes to remediate fouling since the last inspection.