myki Explorer Melbourne?

• 2 weeks later...

@shuyak Good news update: As I am investigating the Myki options for someone on my roll call, I tried the links on the Explorer page again and can report that they now work!! And YES, there are discounts to be had from the various attractions.

Here is the page again https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/buy-a-myki-and-top-up/myki-explorer/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, boeckli said:

@shuyak Good news update: As I am investigating the Myki options for someone on my roll call, I tried the links on the Explorer page again and can report that they now work!! And YES, there are discounts to be had from the various attractions.

Here is the page again https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/buy-a-myki-and-top-up/myki-explorer/

@boeckli, thank you very much!

Oddly and sadly, 4 out of 11 attraction discounts have expired on or before 31 December 2022 (2019, 2020?!).

Edited by shuyak

34 minutes ago, shuyak said:

@boeckli, thank you very much!

Oddly and sadly, 4 out of 11 attraction discounts have expired on or before 31 December 2022 (2019, 2020?!).

Correction:  only 4 out of 11 attraction discounts have NOT expired!

27 minutes ago, shuyak said:

Correction:  only 4 out of 11 attraction discounts have NOT expired!

Oh dear - I must admit I only checked that the links worked. If there is something that you are particularly interested in, maybe contact the attraction and query the validity dates. - Good luck!

When will you be in Melbourne?

Edited by boeckli

@boeckli, we will be in town on 25/03/23 and only booked the i'm free walking tours.  Would like to fill in with some attractions before and/or after.  Museum, Sea Life, Queen Victoira Market, River Cruise, etc. are all good options.  Will see what are available/accessible within our timeframe when we get the myki explorer package then decide.  Thank you for the suggestion!

@buchhalm, thank you for the confirmation!

12 minutes ago, shuyak said:

@boeckli, we will be in town on 25/03/23 and only booked the i'm free walking tours.  Would like to fill in with some attractions before and/or after.  Museum, Sea Life, Queen Victoira Market, River Cruise, etc. are all good options.  Will see what are available/accessible within our timeframe when we get the myki explorer package then decide.  Thank you for the suggestion!

@buchhalm, thank you for the confirmation!

I'll be there before you (9 March), so if you have any specific questions,  let me know and I'll try and find out.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:48 PM, boeckli said:

I was in Melbourne first week in December and yes, there was a Myki kiosk on the upper Station Pier floor (and it was quite busy too). Also to note is the fact that there is a bus service which leaves from the street level of the cruise terminal (thus avoiding the walk to the tram stop):

The Bus 109 City Express shuttle runs direct from the Cruise Terminal on Station Pier to the city, stopping on Queens Bridge Street. The journey takes approximately 20 minutes.

Bus frequency:

Morning (8am – noon): every five to seven minutes
Lunch (Noon – 2pm): every 20 minutes
Afternoon (2pm – 5pm): every 10 to 15 minutes

To travel from the city back to the ship by bus, you must catch the Bus 109 Express shuttle directly to Station Pier, departing from Queens Bridge Street.

Thank you.

I assume you also need a myki card for this shuttle?

On 1/31/2023 at 6:06 PM, aussie57 said:

Thank you.

I assume you also need a myki card for this shuttle?

All the info for the cruise shuttle is on a single page here. 
https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/2022/09/15/public-transport-during-the-2022-2023-cruise-ship-season/

The benefit of the shuttle is that you are not competing with commuters for space on the tram - plus all the stops between the port and the CBD. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/2022/09/15/public-transport-during-the-2022-2023-cruise-ship-season/

The benefit of the shuttle is that you are not competing with commuters for space on the tram - plus all the stops between the port and the CBD. 

Fabulous information!

(Although I am certain some contributors will provide comments with better suggestions) 😁

7 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Thanks for providing the link to such comprehensive information.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Just a point, the bus shuttles are not provided on days where there is a turnaround. For example QEII is in port today and there aren't any shuttles as it is the end of one cruise and the start of another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks for providing the link to such comprehensive 

3 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Is that a dig ? For providing a useful link ? 

Not at all.

As i was saying, FABULOUS. 

Re the 109 bus, it is handy when they start and return right into the covered part of the terminal. As they did in Sept when I was on Coral Princess. Excellent service.🚍

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Fabulous information!

(Although I am certain some contributors will provide comments with better suggestions) 😁

Not so much better suggestions but additional tips.

The stop where the 109 bus terminates is also the stop for the 58 tram (Toorak to West Coburg).  This tram travels along Williams St into Victoria St with a stop at Victoria Market. It also has stops at Collins St and Bourke St where you can change to trams travelling down into the main shopping area. 

The 109 tram turns into Clarendon St before crossing the river into Spencer St, then turning down Collins St. Stop 124A, just before the river is the nearest stop to the Outlet Centre at South Wharf, and is also a good stop to change to the 96 tram (St Kilda Beach to East Brunswick) if you want to go to Bourke St in the city, or out to St Kilda Beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:55 AM, shuyak said:

QVM is free but not open on a Monday or Wednesday, Museum is good but next door the Royal Exhibition Building is better in the fact it is iconic and has a World Heritage listing. (try to do a dome tour). Forget the river cruise as it is a waste of time and money. Sea Life, I wouldn't go out of my way and only if there is absolutely nothing better to do.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shuyak said:

Thank you all for the valuable info and suggestions:  the ptv news link, the relationship between 109 bus terminate and 58 tram stop, Royal Exhibition Building dome tour, ...🙏

If you like history and or older buildings, the State Library situated on Swanson Street is well worth a visit. For those interested in sport Melbourne Park where the Australian Open Tennis tournament is played is close by, just a 10-15 minute walk along the Yarra River as is the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground - tours are very interesting.

1 hour ago, Human Tripod said:

Is the Myki explorer card the same as buying a regular Myki reloadable card, and still eligible for discounts? we are going to be in Melbourne for a couple days weeks ahead of our cruise that is also stopping in Melbourne.

No, a compeltely different card. The Myki Explorer is a pack with a Myki card already downloaded with enough money to get you around Melbourne for the day and it includes offers to various attractions when you show the specially marked card.  

Myki explorer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

No, a compeltely different card. The Myki Explorer is a pack with a Myki card already downloaded with enough money to get you around Melbourne for the day and it includes offers to various attractions when you show the specially marked card.  

Myki explorer

Hi @possum52, just want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly. Your saying if my wife and I get a Myki Explorer pack our first day there we can not add more money on the card that comes in the pack for the following days we are staying in Melbourne?

Thanks,

John

Edited by AZjohn

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

Hi @possum52, just want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly. Your saying if my wife and I get a Myki Explorer pack our first day there we can not add more money on the card that comes in the pack for the following days we are staying in Melbourne?

Thanks,

John

No, I'm not saying that at all. All I was saying is that to be able to use the offers to various attractions, you will need the Explorer Myki card. I believe the card is able to have more money added to it, just like my own Myki card. If you interested in the Explorer Myki and want to confirm this, I suggest you email the PTV and ask - ticketingservices@ptv.vic.gov.au - just so you know for sure.