Onboard Booking strategy

chefchick

I will be boarding the Prima Jan 29 and am finally platinum. Does Port Canaveral even have a platinum check in line?   (Also, 21 day check in begins tomorrow so I am hoping for an early spot).  My problem is this…I want to get entertainment reservations (which can only be booked onboard), would love to get a vibe pass (which seems sold out online but I was told to check at guest services once I boarded) and the only dining reservations I was able to get were for around 9:00 at each of the restaurants I want to eat at so I would like to see if once onboard I can change my reservation times around.  Assuming I embark at a decent time, How do I prioritize this?  I know in the past, the box office or headliners was where show reservations and sometimes restaurant reservations could be made/changed but often they weren’t open till after 1:00. Should I attempt this via a kiosk?  Can you make dining reservations for a new time before canceling the old ones via the kiosks?  Would you go to guest services and try for vibe passes first or am I pretty much SOL for that anyway?

I am usually so ahead of the game, but this was a bit of a last minute reservation for me.  If any of you have experience with this (and bonus points if you have knowledge of Prima) I would really appreciate your input.

Not sure about the restaurant reservations since we were able to book those in advance, but the show reservations (at least Noise Boys and Summer) could be done through the app.  So maybe you could get in line at guest services to see about the Vibe and use the app while you are waiting to do the rest.

The kiosks did not seem to be working for entertainment reservations, but I have no idea if that was a temporary issue or not.

If you get to the port early, you may be able to connect to the NCL wifi and book entertainment reservations.  Once onboard, I would immediately check at GS for Vibe, then proceed to Syd’s to adjust dining prioritizing your most desired SDPs.  Then go back to the Box Office…which the line will be likely long…to book the rest of  entertainment  not available on NCL app.  Which I think may be comedy acts.  Just my take on everything I’ve been reading here on CC.  We don’t sail until April…but this is going to be  our strategy…unless someone else offers a better one.  Of course, it really depends what’s more important yo you.

Thank you for the replies so far….no entertainment is available to book online (and I have been checking back frequently for all of these requests, so…). Hopefully I will be able to check some of this info online at the port before embarkation but we all know how that goes sometime 🙄

I realize that booking protocols can change from one sailing to the next (but thanks for the tip regarding Syd’s). any additional tips are appreciated.  Wish me luck.

I am a planner too but isn't it sad how some of the anticipatory pleasure of cruising has now been replaced with anxiety?  We love the big shows on the big ships but I sometimes wonder if it is worth this frantic element.  I am really hoping they will bring back being able to make entertainment reservations in advance and soon!  It is important to many of us to be able to settle our plans rather than rush around tying up a bunch of loose ends upon boarding.  Cruising used to be relaxing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chefchick said:

I will be boarding the Prima Jan 29 and am finally platinum. Does Port Canaveral even have a platinum check in line?   (Also, 21 day check in begins tomorrow so I am hoping for an early spot).  My problem is this…I want to get entertainment reservations (which can only be booked onboard), would love to get a vibe pass (which seems sold out online but I was told to check at guest services once I boarded) and the only dining reservations I was able to get were for around 9:00 at each of the restaurants I want to eat at so I would like to see if once onboard I can change my reservation times around.  Assuming I embark at a decent time, How do I prioritize this?  I know in the past, the box office or headliners was where show reservations and sometimes restaurant reservations could be made/changed but often they weren’t open till after 1:00. Should I attempt this via a kiosk?  Can you make dining reservations for a new time before canceling the old ones via the kiosks?  Would you go to guest services and try for vibe passes first or am I pretty much SOL for that anyway?

I am usually so ahead of the game, but this was a bit of a last minute reservation for me.  If any of you have experience with this (and bonus points if you have knowledge of Prima) I would really appreciate your input.

There is no “winning”’strategy on the Prima. 

You did not follow the golden rule of logging on at midnight Day 120 to book your dining. 

Our Prima Experience

Prima Cruise 1 (October 2022 - Bermuda)

We followed our normal pattern and went to the theater box office, Deck 6 Forward, Starboard door. We got our shows including comedy shows. we then went to the Improv Deck 7 midship and waited for dining reservations. We were dismayed that Palomar was sold out of early times most nights and had to shuffle to get a dinner booked there. Shortly after, Palomar sold out for the duration of the cruise. 

Prima Cruise 2 (December 2022 - Western Caribbean)

We swapped our priorities. We went for dining first. We tried to book shows using the app while waiting for dining,,, but all of the shows were not loaded into the app. When we got to the box office around 11:45 am, all of the comedy shows were sold out for the duration of the cruise. 

Recommendation:  

Be the rude Platinum member and stand at the boarding door and board as soon as they call priority passengers. 

Get your dining organized first. Book shows on the app or touch screen kiosks. Last resort, go stand in the theater line. 

Look at general show times on the show menus on the links below. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Have you tried using the chat feature or calling NCL directly to change your dinner reservations? I have had success doing both, even for the Prima.

If you can get the times you want for dinner before boarding, then I would either head for the kiosks as soon as I board to see if they are working and if so, book the production shows there...it just takes a few minutes. If it's the comedy shows you are looking for, then I would do that first, since the venue is so small in comparison to the theatre.  Then go to guest services to check on the Vibe, since that could be the place without success, and book entertainment while in line there if the kiosks were not working

I don't really stress about any of this stuff because once you are on board, things can be fluid. People don't show up for dinner or the production shows, so you can check back during the day for dinner and do the stand by line for the shows. Unless you have a large group, then this strategy won't work so well. But for 2-4 people, you should be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chefchick said:

the tip regarding Syd’s)

Sorry…I had my venue confused.  As Bird said, it’s Improv for dining which is across from Syd’s.  Also, during the cruise check the entertainment and dining kiosks often, I’ve had good success getting reservations as people change plans. Good luck!

Edited by laudergayle
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:11 PM, BirdTravels said:

You did not follow the golden rule of logging on at midnight Day 120 to book your dining. 

Our Prima Experience

We followed our normal pattern and went to the theater box office, Deck 6 Forward, Starboard door. We got our shows including comedy shows. we then went to the Improv Deck 7 midship and waited for dining reservations. We were dismayed that Palomar was sold out of early times most nights and had to shuffle to get a dinner booked there. Shortly after, Palomar sold out for the duration of the cruise. 

We swapped our priorities. We went for dining first. We tried to book shows using the app while waiting for dining,,, but all of the shows were not loaded into the app. When we got to the box office around 11:45 am, all of the comedy shows were sold out for the duration of the cruise. 

Recommendation:  

Be the rude Platinum member and stand at the boarding door and board as soon as they call priority passengers. 

Get your dining organized first. Book shows on the app or touch screen kiosks. Last resort, go stand in the theater line. 

Hi, Bird:

Its 

Our Prima Experience

Recommendation:  

Hi, Bird- The famous flamingo can surely help me!!!

Great response to OP and a lot of info. Thank you.

Its been close to 3 years since we sailed NCL- it was the last cruise out of PC before Covid closed everything down.

We are on " Bliss" in a month.

We are platinum, could not get a suite as we booked just a few days ago. I know that we now can check in 21 days prior . We will get a boarding time.

I have a few questions: 

I have been reading that boarding times are not honored or checked. What is your experience with this? 

You made a comment about Platinum status and boarding- how do we assert this for priority boarding? It would really stink to get an early boarding time and be overwhelmed by those who have a later "appointment" .( I DO have good elbows...)

I really would like to be able to see the comedy show and will make the box office a priority.

I appreciate your assistance!!