Watching a NFL game at Playmakers … how much should we spend and/or tip?

D4

DH and I are going to watch a NFL game at Playmakers.  Neither of us drink alcohol.  I also have to eat gluten-free and plan to bring food from Windjammer for me.  My husband will order food from Playmakers for himself during the game.

Does anybody have advice on how much we should spend and/or tip at Playmakers  while we watch the game?  I know the staff depends on tips, so we don’t want to be jerks.

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, D4 said:

DH and I are going to watch a NFL game at Playmakers.  Neither of us drink alcohol.  I also have to eat gluten-free and plan to bring food from Windjammer for me.  My husband will order food from Playmakers for himself during the game.

Does anybody have advice on how much we should spend and/or tip at Playmakers  while we watch the game?  I know the staff depends on tips, so we don’t want to be jerks.

Thank you!

Spend as much or as little as you want.  There should be no pressure on you to order anymore or less then you actually want.  If you want to sit and drink free beverages while eating food the windjammer that is your prerogative.

That being said, I'd slip the server a tip of some kind for whatever service he or she provides.  How much is entirely at your discretion and almost any amount will be gratefully accepted. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playmakers is great for watching NFL games. The one time I was on the ship, they had every game being televised. I was a very fun atmosphere.

Spend as little as you want or as much as you want. Just because you're in a bar, doesn't mean you have to drink alcohol. Soft drinks or water is just fine.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Treat it like you would a sports bar on land.  If there are open tables, it may not be a big deal, but if the place is full, I'd want to order something every so often.

We don’t drink alcohol and have never been to a sports bar.

We have the Directv NFL Sunday Ticket and watch at home.

Our thinking was that we’d have DH order food for himself several times during the game and give a good tip every quarter.

2 minutes ago, D4 said:

Our thinking was that we’d have DH order food for himself several times during the game and give a good tip every quarter.

That'd be fine.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, D4 said:

More than acceptable.

• Thanks 1

@Tree_skier @dada2199cc @klfrodo @smokeybandit

Update to let you know about our experience:

We watched our NFL game today.  (There were 5 NFL games at 2:00.)

We took seats at the tall table overlooking the Owner’s suite at 1:30.  

At 1:45 I went to grab my gluten free food.  (Even if Playmakers serves gluten free food, I’m not going to order it there because it’s too loud.  I want to be able to communication clearly about my food allergy.) I termed with my food just before kickoff.

No server ever came down to our row while we were there (30 minutes before kickoff through the end of the game.) My husband went to the main bar a couple times to attempt to order food, but they were swamped and he didn’t want to wait.

I clean up after myself so I brought my dirty dishes back to WJ after the game.

it was a fun experience to watch the game with other fans.

• Like 3

I think your plan sounds great. The advantage of being on the ship is that you won't have a manager upset that you're taking a table away from others that will spend more. If you are tipping the servers they will be very happy, no matter what you order. JMHO

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, D4 said:

Thank you!

you can sit anyplace on the ship, watch a game, listen to music etc.  You will tip 18% for anything your order, so no need to tip more.  My rule of thumb is never tip more than customary. Enjoy

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

I don't see any obligation to tip because you are occupying a space. This is a cruise ship, not someone's section at a sports bar. 

It is someone's section at a sports bar that is on a cruise ship.  Everyone knows servers make a portion of their money from tips.  OP is being fair to he concerned and wanting to do right.

As it turned out, sounds like it was a non issue. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

It is someone's section at a sports bar that is on a cruise ship.  Everyone knows servers make a portion of their money from tips.  OP is being fair to he concerned and wanting to do right.

As it turned out, sounds like it was a non issue. 

Do you leave a tip on the table after trivia in the Schooner Bar? Or if you just sat watching the band in Boleros? It's unheard of in my experience to do so on a cruise ship. Tip on the drink service, but not on the space. And if you aren't drinking, don't worry about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1