Is it worth extra $$$ to upgrade from D1 balcony to JS??

Just wondering if anyone thought it might be worth upgrading from a D1 balcony on the Freedom to a JS. I've called about it and it's pretty pricey, but wondering if anyone thought it would be worth the extra money. This is our first cruise, sailing June 11th, 2006. Also does anyone know how fat it is from Miami airport to sea port??? THANKS

Having been in both category D & JS on Voyager class ships, assuming there are only two of you in the room, I personally don't think it's worth it. The only difference between the two is in the JS everything is a little bigger; the bathroom (bathtub/shower combo opposed to shower only), closets, seating area and balcony. It's not like the bigger suites where you have a separate bedroom and living areas. And in a JS you don't get concierge service. I would save the money & go with a D category, unless you get a really good deal.

MIA is about 15-20 minutes cab ride to the port. Flat $24 rate.

Hope this helps!

Last Friday I upgraded my D1 to an aft JS on the 6/18 Freedom, so I think oh yes, do it-especially if the JS happens to be an aft like mine. It is so worth the money for the extra space, bathtub, and double cruise credit-if you can afford it, do it!!:D

Well in order to give you some honest advice, let us know how much of a price difference we're talking about. That's really what it comes down to - if the extra money is worth the extra space, bathtub, closet & double credits.

If it's a big price difference, I wouldn't do it. I'd rather use that as spending money.

I would continue to check the price. It may cost less at another time. I remember when the Explorer first came out and I had an outside cabin booked and kept calling to see how much to upgrade to a balcony; one time it was several hundred dollars; another one thousand; and finally turned out to be only a couple hundred for 4 of us. Prices definitely fluctuate.

One of the other considerations is how much time you plan on spending in the cabin and on your own balcony.

We actually prefer to keep to ourselves and rarely utilize the public spaces (like the pool area); so, for us, we book suites. Plenty of room inside and a spacious veranda for lazing about.

If you like to spend a lot of time out-and-about, maybe a balcony cabin would be just perfect for you. It also depends on how much "personal space" each of you need.

I am a first time cruise going on the Navigator this year and we pondered the same thing. BUT...the difference for us is $600. we are doing it.

as much as I like things nice....no way would I spend $2k more for a JS. it would have to be a GS or OS and above for me to spend that much cash.

just my 2 cents.

For 2000$ you could take another cruise and still get the points but have another one.

look on the deckplans, if you want a bigger deck the aft ones are bigger as well as other places on the ship. I know at least on the Brilliance the hump cabins on the edges are bigger balconies.

I would keep the 2K and buy myself a bunch of "bling"!!!!

Have fun what ever you decide

Stick with the D-1 If it's your first cruise, you won't know what you're missing, but the other posters have spelled it out pretty well - not enough for that price difference on a 7-night Caribbean itinerary, IMHO.

We tend to spend a lot of time in our cabin, too, and so we usually book a JS for the extra space. But the D-1 has a nice sitting area and a decent sized balcony, and if we're going to be on a port-intensive itinerary, we'll save our money, too. At least I think we will!:D

Traveling with 3 daughters so the extra space is well worth the money for us. We originally booked connecting D1 but due to price drops now have connecting JS. Having personally tried shaving in the miniature shower I am very excited about having a tub. I wouldn't have upgraded for the huge price difference that you have though. Good luck.:)

Being your first cruise and having no children in the room, I would say the $2,000 is not worth it. Just like everyone said, you could book a 2nd cruise for that additional amount. You will be happy with the D1, I assure you.

We booked a GS on Freedom, but that's because we have young kids. I will be spending more time in the room than an average couple, etc. And this is our 5th cruise. Once you've had suites, it's tough to go backward.

We prefer the JS but for $2,000 there is NO WAY I'd make that change. I'll only book a JS when it's affordable and that's not affordable IMO.

The D1 is a very nice cabin and has plenty of room in it. About all you'll be missing is a couple of chairs in the sitting area and a bathtub in the bathroom. Two chairs and a bathtub isn't worth $2,000. For that matter, it's not worth $500 to me unless the cruise is ultra inexpensive in the first place. Yes, you get the extra cruise credit but, as mentioned, you can take another cruise for $2,000.

I just checked the Freedom for next April, high season, and the price difference for a D1 vs. JS was about $500/pp. When we booked our JS for this March, the difference was about $350/pp. And we though it was worth it. The cabins smaller than a JS are way too narrow for us, IMO. The GS isn't worth the money, IMO, since the extra space is taken up by a useless and needless bar.

We just got off of the Radiance and stayed in a D1. We are not small people :o and decided we would never make it in a smaller room. The D1 was perfect for us. Lots of storage room. We couldn't get over how much stuff that room held. The balcony was fine. We occasionally took one of the nightstands outside for a 2nd "table" when we wanted to eat out there. However, a junior suite would be great but only if the price is right and it is not under the Windjammer or another noisy public area.

hi there.

just wanted to add some info. you do not get a little more space. you get a LOT more space. the balcony is definitely larger and longer b/c you get a large window (can't open it though) next to the slider. the balcony takes up this entire space. the bathroom has a full tub with the shower compared to just the stall shower. there is a complete sitting area that is larger. the closet is a full walk in and it is huge!

we always travel with the three of us, mom, dad and child. we noticed the difference immediately. anything longer than 3/4 days, we always book JS.

in a JS we are not falling or tripping over each other and had plenty of space in the closet.

the voyager class ships have tons to do outside of the cabin, so even though we are rarely in our cabin, we still take this category regardless of the price difference.

it really depends on whether you can afford it or not because as far as extra space there is definitely more and it is noticeable.

I just returned from the 2/19 sailing on the Mariner. We had a Junior Suite and I can tell you the best feature of the cabin was the walk-in closet. It came in handy at times when I used it as a dressing room to get ready for dinner when everyone needs the shower at the same time.

Here are some pictures of the cabin:

http://community.webshots.com/album/548151570rTTGKa

Dotsie

I would not do it for 2k more either. I did it on my upcoming Rhapsody cruise but there are 3 gals in one cabin and the difference was only like 150 each so it was more than worth the added cost.

We just got back from the Navigator where we had a Grand Suite - and Grand it was, however, we only did it because we were traveling with our adult children and granddaughter and wanted a "gathering" place. As wonderful as it was - very large, conciege privileges, etc., we would most likely never do it just for the 2 of us. We just don't need that much space.

Last year we were on Voyager in a Junior Suite. That is probably the way we would go in the future, however, NOT FOR $2000. It's very nice, and it is considerably bigger than D1 in terms of closet space, bathroom, balcony, however, on our first 4 cruises, we had outside rooms with no balconies and thought we were in paradise. The next 3 cruises, we went for the balconies and said "we'll neverrrrrr go back to the other". Then last year the Junior suite. Wow! and this year - the Grand Suite Wow-Wow!

But here's my point - this is your first cruise. It's a wonderful, exciting experience. Once you've done it the first time, you'll get a feel for how much time you really spend in the room (we spend very, very little), how much closet space you need (that gets less and less with each cruise as we learn not to overpack), how much additional cash you'll spend on the boat as well as excursions, (we spend way too much).

Go with the D1 this first cruise and have the Junior suite to look forward to in the future.

Archived