New to Regent

tnm6217

Hello, all! I am popping in to get your sage advice on all things Regent. I have daydreamed about sailing on Regent ever since I became aware of the line in my early 20s, and I think it may finally be time for that dream to become a reality. I don’t want to overwhelm you with all of my questions, so I’ll start with just a few.

- Does anyone have a POC/agent at Regent who they trust and could refer me to? I requested pricing and submitted a form online to receive a call a few days ago and haven’t heard back, which is a bit upsetting. I’d welcome any connections you may have for this!

- I’m considering an upcoming sailing on Splendor for me and my brother, who are in our late 30s and 20s, respectively. I understand we are likely on the younger side for Regent travelers, which is absolutely fine on our end, but my concern is that people may not want to engage with us. My brother has never been on a cruise before and he absolutely loves getting to know new people, so I want to make sure he will have ample opportunity to do that! 

Thank you for any help you can provide to get us moving in the right direction!

-Taylor

Age is not really an issue with Tegent as long as you don’t need water slides to enjoy a cruise… good entertainment is readily available night and day. Regent cruisers are a friendly lot.

But you do need a TravelAgent that specializes in luxury cruises…. Google some. You will get better all around service and usually more benefits. 

• Like 4

I think y’all will have a blast! My husband and I are in our early 40s and had a wonderful first cruise in October. The other guests were so friendly and we loved meeting other people. We enjoyed several of the night time activities, such as karaoke and some shows and live music. 
I didn’t booked our trip, so I’m not sure about working directly with Regent. We had a travel agent and she was great, so handled everything for us. 

5 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

Hello, all! I am popping in to get your sage advice on all things Regent. I have daydreamed about sailing on Regent ever since I became aware of the line in my early 20s, and I think it may finally be time for that dream to become a reality. I don’t want to overwhelm you with all of my questions, so I’ll start with just a few.

- Does anyone have a POC/agent at Regent who they trust and could refer me to? I requested pricing and submitted a form online to receive a call a few days ago and haven’t heard back, which is a bit upsetting. I’d welcome any connections you may have for this!

- I’m considering an upcoming sailing on Splendor for me and my brother, who are in our late 30s and 20s, respectively. I understand we are likely on the younger side for Regent travelers, which is absolutely fine on our end, but my concern is that people may not want to engage with us. My brother has never been on a cruise before and he absolutely loves getting to know new people, so I want to make sure he will have ample opportunity to do that! 

Thank you for any help you can provide to get us moving in the right direction!

-Taylor

Unfortunately, Cruise Critic does not allow us to recommend a travel agent or point of contact at Regent. 

About 12 years ago, we did our first Regent cruise to Alaska.  We met a couple staying at the Kantishna Lodge with us that were slightly older than us.  Long story short,  we flew out with them from Denali and we were all going on the Regent cruise.  They had  their  three kids all in their late 20 to early 30 meeting them for the cruise.  

My husband and I spend more time gambling, dancing and rock climbing with the kids on the cruise, than we did mom and dad (they were in bed early).  So you will find folks to hang with and enjoy.  You may not love the music,  I’m 63 and I have been complaining about the music all the time. 

Pavlov and his dog has always interested me.  

I'd venture that on Regent cruises 80% are over 60 & 90% over 50.  To quote President Reagan no one will hold your "youth and inexperience" against you. 🙂 Regent folks are very friendly, there are many events to get people together and you can share a table at dinner to meet people.   Your age won't be an issue.

• Like 2

Hi TNM

We had our first cruise with Regent in the late 00s. We were in our early/mid 30s at the time. IIRC we were probably the youngest on board but it certainly didn't feel weird and had zero problems having conversations with people. I find that most people, if you're open to talk, just have it naturally flow... so being 30 or 70 you'll still probably be chatting in no time. Best advice is to just chat with someone next to you .... maybe a seat mate on an excursion or say "Hi" at the lounge.

Fast forward 15 years and we still do it every few years as a treat and absolutely look forward to going on them. Last time we were on a cruise in 2018 I was in the lounge on our last day of a 12 day med cruise and a gentlemen came up to me and introduced himself as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of SETI, based on the Keck telescope shirt I was wearing, and we chatted for about 30 minutes. Super nice guy and I truly wish I met him days earlier. Another cruise in 2008 going to the Kennedy Space Center I met a fellow who was friends with an Apollo astronaut and we chatted for hours too. As they say, age is just a number and interesting people are super interesting. As a younger person feel free to take the initiative and say hi!

Only time I ever had a somewhat unpleasant experience was once when a certain past president was discussed who had contrary views.. and even then it wasn't terrible... the old adage of leave politics and religion out of a discussion with people you don't know is probably the best!

Regarding agents, as been said they don't allow specific recommendations in a thread. Without getting too specific without PMs, it pays to check around. I had someone recommend an agent out of SW of the US (I live in Canada) and while they're not always the quickest to get back to me, they always do, and I have saved, no lie, probably $2K going through them each time versus others or direct.

Going back to Regent as a younger person, as long as you're not looking for a party ship (it's not) you'll have a great time. Personally, when I'm on a cruise, especially a Regent, my days are so full and I'm eating/drinking so well, staying up late is the last thing I want to do LOL.

We're looking at doing a TA cruise this spring to replace our lost Covid cruise from 2020. We're now in our mid/late 40s and will still almost certainly be in the lower % of ages. Maybe we'll see you!

😉

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, slidebite said:

Hi TNM

We had our first cruise with Regent in the late 00s. We were in our early/mid 30s at the time. IIRC we were probably the youngest on board but it certainly didn't feel weird and had zero problems having conversations with people. I find that most people, if you're open to talk, just have it naturally flow... so being 30 or 70 you'll still probably be chatting in no time. Best advice is to just chat with someone next to you .... maybe a seat mate on an excursion or say "Hi" at the lounge.

Fast forward 15 years and we still do it every few years as a treat and absolutely look forward to going on them. Last time we were on a cruise in 2018 I was in the lounge on our last day of a 12 day med cruise and a gentlemen came up to me and introduced himself as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of SETI, based on the Keck telescope shirt I was wearing, and we chatted for about 30 minutes. Super nice guy and I truly wish I met him days earlier. Another cruise in 2008 going to the Kennedy Space Center I met a fellow who was friends with an Apollo astronaut and we chatted for hours too. As they say, age is just a number and interesting people are super interesting. As a younger person feel free to take the initiative and say hi!

Only time I ever had a somewhat unpleasant experience was once when a certain past president was discussed who had contrary views.. and even then it wasn't terrible... the old adage of leave politics and religion out of a discussion with people you don't know is probably the best!

Regarding agents, as been said they don't allow specific recommendations in a thread. Without getting too specific without PMs, it pays to check around. I had someone recommend an agent out of SW of the US (I live in Canada) and while they're not always the quickest to get back to me, they always do, and I have saved, no lie, probably $2K going through them each time versus others or direct.

Going back to Regent as a younger person, as long as you're not looking for a party ship (it's not) you'll have a great time. Personally, when I'm on a cruise, especially a Regent, my days are so full and I'm eating/drinking so well, staying up late is the last thing I want to do LOL.

We're looking at doing a TA cruise this spring to replace our lost Covid cruise from 2020. We're now in our mid/late 40s and will still almost certainly be in the lower % of ages. Maybe we'll see you!

😉

Agree with slidebite (hey, an Ex Canuck here) that there would most definitely not be an issue cruising on Regent at your age. We were on Splendor in March and there were a number of “youn’ens” aboard, and I mixed easily with them. I have taken the Peter Pan Pledge to Never Grow Up so I am a “young buffoon” forever. Typically terrific guests on Regent and we will be doing a TA on Splendor the end of March. 

We booked recently on the Voyager.  Initially I booked through Regent directly but I had a similar experience with a surprising delay in follow-up from their agents.  We have cruised several times on other lines (Disney concierge, RCCL, NCL Haven, Princess suites) and their online service and phone service always yielded immediate response.  It's hard to not have that, especially at Regent prices. 

In any event, we ended up transferring our booking to a local travel agent who specializes in luxury vacations.  I found her via a Facebook group for my local community and have been much happier to have someone more responsive but still knowledgeable about this line.  She also was able to get us better OBC and a waiver for the airfare deviation for all of us (a $700 savings for my family).  She will be a great resource when it comes to planning excursions, as well.

Separately, I appreciate the age discussion here too.  We are in our early-mid 50s but will be traveling with our teenage twin boys.  We are not worried that they'll be bored as it's a port-intensive cruise with only one sea day.  They are used to going with us to fine dining restaurants and will be well behaved, especially considering that they'll likely want to spend their free time in the cabin playing video games.  This will allow us to enjoy the ship as well - I am so looking forward to this new experience on a more mature/luxury line.

• Like 3

Our first ever cruise was on Regent to Alaska and our 2 college boys (young men) went with us and it is the most memorable trip we’ve ever done. Alaska is also port intensive and we booked all private excursions because at the time, Regent excursions weren’t included in the fare. It was so nice to sit down at dinner, take our time, and just enjoy the company of our family. I don’t think we saw anyone else under 40 on the ship but it just didn’t matter. We had several people come up to us and say how fantastic it was to see a family having so much fun and enjoying the company of each other. Enjoy the trip and cherish all of the special moments that I am sure you will have. Kids grow up quickly and before you know it they are off building their own lives and memories. The 2 boys also had their own room and that gave them a chance to bond as well. And as an added bonus, their cabin was next to the Penthouse suite where Patrick Swayze was occupying. 

• Like 2

My opinion is that age shouldn't be a problem if it's not a problem for you and your brother. That is, if you're open to being around people who are for the most part considerably older than you. Most of those people (me, for instance), enjoy engaging with younger people, and some may even take you under their wing.  If you're down with that, then it's all good.  

• Like 2

We took our first cruise, a RSSC Navigator 7-day Alaska one, to celebrate our 20th anniversary when we were barely 45.  We were two of only four people our age on the ship. We saw the other couple regularly on the more demanding shore ex, but they were very involved with their multigenerational family and we didn’t miss them at all!

Fast forward 20 years, to just before the pandemic. Our youngest, then 22, asked for a Regent Caribbean cruise to celebrate his college graduation. He found no shortage of congenial company across the whole age spectrum.  In fact, we found the party-hearty crowd we were with poolside and late night were many of the same people he was hanging out with on his own.  Conviviality breeds conviviality!

You will stand out, however.    Other passengers will notice you, approach you, and engage you in conversation.  You will attract attention, attention of the most congenial kind.

• Like 6

On 1/10/2023 at 8:38 PM, jill5172 said:

hey'll likely want to spend their free time in the cabin playing video games.

1 hour ago, Tasm3n said:

my teenage daughter who is probably more excited about in room wifi

It might be worth moderating their expectation of Wi-Fi connectivity and internet speeds on Regent ships 🤨

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

It might be worth moderating their expectation of Wi-Fi connectivity and internet speeds on Regent ships 🤨

Oh they won't be playing online games or streaming video.

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

We are considering bringing one of their gaming systems - if it is possible to connect it to the TV.  My husband is also a huge gamer and I think all three of them would like to have the option to play their xBox or PS5 games if possible while @Tasm3nand I hang out and socialize with people onboard.  😁  

On 1/9/2023 at 4:22 PM, tnm6217 said:

On 1/9/2023 at 10:09 PM, Carol From California said:

Unfortunately, Cruise Critic does not allow us to recommend a travel agent or point of contact at Regent. 

As Carol stated we cannot recommend specific TA's for you but, we can say you are much much much better off if you book with an experienced TA who will work for you, answer your question and even better rebate a significant amount of dollars to you before you travel.

You will need to do some work to find the right TA but, with Regent prices, you will for sure save in the hundreds of dollars and possibly thousands.   Good luck hunting.

As to your question about bringing a game system and connecting to the TV, forget that idea as you will not be able to connect anything to the in suite TV

Edited by rallydave

12 hours ago, jill5172 said:

We are considering bringing one of their gaming systems - if it is possible to connect it to the TV.  My husband is also a huge gamer and I think all three of them would like to have the option to play their xBox or PS5 games if possible while @Tasm3nand I hang out and socialize with people onboard.  😁  

I know previous posters have asked about connecting DVD players and if you bring disc based games and there is a suitable connection on the TV it may be possible (we hardly used the TV on our last cruise so can't say if there is). However, I would contact Regent directly (or get your TA to do so) as even if the connection is possible there are certain things you are not allowed to use onboard (kettles, irons etc)

I totally understand not everyone enjoys the same leisure activities but if I brought someone on a regent trip and they spent significant time in the cabin with an electronic device it would take all my willpower to not throw said device overboard lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@slidebiteI would have said the same thing when I (a committed non-gamer) first met my husband and my best friends almost 20 years ago, but the reality is that not everyone has the same interests as me.  If I can convince my introverted husband and kids to go on a cruise to places I want to go by letting them have their decompression time in the cabin while I hang out on deck with a drink and play trivia with strangers, it’s all good!  As they say, to each his own.

(As for suggestions that we may not be able to connect to the TV … if there’s a TV which was manufactured in the last decade on board it’s likely we can connect to it.  Even if for some reason they had all of the HDMI ports blocked my family will be fine with their Switch or iPad or laptop or phone or Apple Watch.  I have given up fighting against it and now just choose my battles accordingly.)

• Like 5