Are USB plug in hubs ok to take onboard ?

minnie00

In theory the dapper Cigar King is correct.  But - one of our bags didn’t make it to the cabin on Harmony last November because I had a USB charging block in it. No reasoning with them, hand it over. 

Worst part was having to unpack the bag, not knowing what they didn’t like in it, on the floor in front of the line at guest services. Pretty sh1tty really. Like I was smuggling a machine gun or something. 

2 hours ago, Mdepfl said:

In theory the dapper Cigar King is correct.  But - one of our bags didn’t make it to the cabin on Harmony last November because I had a USB charging block in it. No reasoning with them, hand it over. 

Worst part was having to unpack the bag, not knowing what they didn’t like in it, on the floor in front of the line at guest services. Pretty sh1tty really. Like I was smuggling a machine gun or something. 

Ok good to know

I always have a hub in my carry-on bag, and it's never been a problem.

I've noticed that the people scanning the carry-on luggage seem to be looking for booze and weapons, while the people scanning the checked luggage seem to have more things they look for.  For example, haircutting scissors have NEVER caused a problem when in checked baggage, but have resulted in explanation (me quoting the acceptable blade length for scissors from the website) and/or consultation with superiors in carry-on luggage. 

Regardless of what is in print or not in print, I've found that if it has a cord, it probably won't get through the luggage screening ("The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners").  I don't believe I've ever actually read the words "Surge Protector or "Surge Suppressor" in  RCCL's FAQ are prohibited and I have had charging hubs (combo 110 and USB) with "Surge Protector" plainly marked on them and corded make it through.  But, there are many many stories in this site and others that have had them put in the naughty room.  It's a crap shoot, at best!

The photo below shows the charging hub (110 and USB) that I now take on the ship.  The words,  "Surge Protector" or "Surge Suppressor" aren't anywhere on it, and Amazon says it is "Cruise Ship Approved", for what that's worth.  

The suggestions that @DaKahunashows are good/great options.  This is the hub that I've got:

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Plug-Extender-SUPERDANNY-Electrical-Extra-Wide/dp/B08KXSJ3Z6/ref=sr_1_97?crid=39HXM2OMHF3A1&keywords=charging+hub+for+cruising&qid=1673450873&sprefix=charging+hub+for+cruising%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-97

image.png.1e9d6f23f2b614d3907117b49ab623b7.png

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

Just now, alfaeric said:

We've been carrying on an Anker 4 port USB charging plug for many years- I think I got that when we first got iPhones back in 2104.  Never an issue.

Time traveler, eh!

LOL