We are going to book Carnival Shuttle MIA to POM.

Mellylucy

Yes, we did this in December.

Now the horror story...

Not sure what airline you're coming in on, but we came in on Southwest.  The shuttle meeting point is VERY far from the SW baggage claim, so be prepared if that's your situation.  So we get to the meeting point and there is one person there checking folks in for both ships.  There is supposed to be a separate shuttle for each ship.  Two different color tickets are being given out - one for Spirit and one for Sunrise.

Of the six people in our group, we got three different color tickets.  When we asked about this, the lady told us to basically sit down and shut up we didn't know what we were talking about.  I explained I was worried about getting separated from our group, especially since four of the six are inexperienced travelers and first-time cruisers.  I suggested that maybe she gave out some wrong colored tickets.  I was rudely sent back to sit down.  A few minutes later, we were all called back up to her kiosk where she took all of our tickets and replaced with with six identical ones.

As we were there early, we knew there would be about a 30 minute wait.  But 30 minutes turned into 60, then almost 90 before they called BOTH buses at once.  Only when we got outside did they tell us that one of the buses had broken down so BOTH ships were going on the same bus.  Fine, not a problem.

From there, we were off to the "other side of the airport" to collect more passengers from another terminal or part of the airport.  The place we arrived looked a bit sketchy (like a back alley) and there was a small American Airlines desk there.  The driver and the Carnival rep got off the bus and went to the American desk, closing us in the bus.  And there we sat... for THIRTY MINUTES while literally nothing happened.  We all figured there was a delayed flight arrival and we were paying for it, but after thirty minutes, both the driver and the Carnival lady got BACK on the bus (With no new passengers) and off we went.  We arrived at the terminal late for our check-in appointment.

Now granted, this was probably an anomaly - this was first time we have ever used that shuttle.  But we will never, EVER do it again.  I don't care what the alternatives are or how much they cost.

Other than that, we had a great cruise!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CajunOyster said:

But we will never, EVER do it again.  I don't care what the alternatives are or how much they cost.

We used the shuttle from the POM to the Miami airport in the fall of 2021 because our flight was later and we weren't in a big hurry.  It's a good thing.  We had to wait for the shuttle to fill completely up, which took 20 minutes after we got on and there were only about 10 spots remaining then.  After we finally left, like on your trip, there was more than one stop at the airport.  The driver made everyone stay on the bus until all the luggage for that stop was unloaded (seemed like a move to keep from missing out on tips while unloading other luggage).  That process took a while, so if you were on the second stop, you had another 30 minutes or so after you arrived at the airport.  Never again!  We will take Uber even if we are not in a hurry.

You can also just go outside and get a taxi.  It will be a few bucks more than Uber, but there is a long line of them waiting.  We do this all the time. (not Uber sophisticated yet - can never find the pickup station at MIA)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

Yes, we did this in December.

Now the horror story...

Not sure what airline you're coming in on, but we came in on Southwest.  The shuttle meeting point is VERY far from the SW baggage claim, so be prepared if that's your situation.  So we get to the meeting point and there is one person there checking folks in for both ships.  There is supposed to be a separate shuttle for each ship.  Two different color tickets are being given out - one for Spirit and one for Sunrise.

Of the six people in our group, we got three different color tickets.  When we asked about this, the lady told us to basically sit down and shut up we didn't know what we were talking about.  I explained I was worried about getting separated from our group, especially since four of the six are inexperienced travelers and first-time cruisers.  I suggested that maybe she gave out some wrong colored tickets.  I was rudely sent back to sit down.  A few minutes later, we were all called back up to her kiosk where she took all of our tickets and replaced with with six identical ones.

As we were there early, we knew there would be about a 30 minute wait.  But 30 minutes turned into 60, then almost 90 before they called BOTH buses at once.  Only when we got outside did they tell us that one of the buses had broken down so BOTH ships were going on the same bus.  Fine, not a problem.

From there, we were off to the "other side of the airport" to collect more passengers from another terminal or part of the airport.  The place we arrived looked a bit sketchy (like a back alley) and there was a small American Airlines desk there.  The driver and the Carnival rep got off the bus and went to the American desk, closing us in the bus.  And there we sat... for THIRTY MINUTES while literally nothing happened.  We all figured there was a delayed flight arrival and we were paying for it, but after thirty minutes, both the driver and the Carnival lady got BACK on the bus (With no new passengers) and off we went.  We arrived at the terminal late for our check-in appointment.

Now granted, this was probably an anomaly - this was first time we have ever used that shuttle.  But we will never, EVER do it again.  I don't care what the alternatives are or how much they cost.

Other than that, we had a great cruise!

Did you file a report with Carnival or do a review under the shore excursions?

3 hours ago, 75Vette said:

Lee Cruiser:

When you left port of Miami for the airport what time did you meet for your shuttle ride.

Also was there more than one bus going to the airport?

Thanks.

I'm not Lee 🙂 But, we did the same shuttle back to MIA.  We simply debarked with our group, grabbed our luggage, and walked out to the shuttles.  Ours loaded fairly quickly and we were on our way to the airport within 15 minutes or so of arriving to the shuttle.  They run multiple busses, each one leaving as it fills up (they load one at a time).  Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, 75Vette said:

Lee Cruiser:

When you left port of Miami for the airport what time did you meet for your shuttle ride.

Thanks.

Just checked our notes and we were on the shuttle a few minutes after 9.  I don't remember if there was more than one at the time.  I do remember that I had to ask about the shuttle because once you got outside it was chaotic in that area.  There was a line that appeared to be the shuttle line, but it turned out being a line of folks waiting for check in on the next cruise.  Glad I asked a worker before waiting in that line.

18 hours ago, 75Vette said:

Lee Cruiser:

Thanks.

Apparently my answer wasn't good enough 🙄