Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Reporting from on the Rotterdam January 14 through February 25


iflyrc5
 Share

Recommended Posts

The World stage shows are not at 8 and 10pm.  Last night was a comedian and the 8pm show was more than full and the 10pm show was about 80%.  To night was the Step One Dancers Tandem show - we arrived at 7:20.  The door were not yet open and guests were lined up waiting to get in out to the casino.  By 7:40 the theater was about 80% and by show time there were about 15 open seats.

 

We were in St Thomas today.  I have included a photo of the sign with the taxi rates to the various locations along with the daily program for Jan 18 and also a sign posted as you entry the Sea View pool area.

DSCN3721.JPG

DSCN3722.JPG

20230117_152227.jpg

DSCN3662.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am extremely happy to see the sign at the Seaview pool.  I prefer an adult pool.  Not sure if it will discourage the chair hogs.  Let us know if these rules are actually being enforced.  Thank you for posting the pictures.  
 

Based on your description of the crowds at the Main Stage,  it seems like the ship is still full.  Have you heard how many are onboard?

 

Did you take an excursion in St Thomas?

Edited by 0106
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 0106 said:

I am extremely happy to see the sign at the Seaview pool.  I prefer an adult pool.  Not sure if it will discourage the chair hogs.  Let us know if these rules are actually being enforced.  Thank you for posting the pictures.  
 

Based on your description of the crowds at the Main Stage,  it seems like the ship is still full.  Have you heard how many are onboard?

 

Did you take an excursion in St Thomas?

We did not do an excursion in St Thomas - I walked into town and my DF stayed on the ship.  Don't know the number on the ship but it is rather full but not completely as the cabin next to ours is empty.

As for the Sea View pool we have not been out there much - we only have about 8 kids on the ship so that is not an issue - chair hogs still exist and I have not noticed the crew members around the Lido Pool removing any thing. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2023 at 10:56 PM, iflyrc5 said:

This evening at 7pm at the Lido Pool the ship had a reception for all 3/4/5 Star Mariners with red/white wine and sparkling wine with all the officers in attendance and mingling with the guests.  Very nice event that lasted about 45 minutes.

 

I didn't know 3*s were included in a reception.  On Zuidy this past June in Alaska, pretty sure I wasn't invited to one.

 

On our upcoming TA in April, I imagine the vast majority of pax will be 4 & 5*.  That's what I've found on TAs on other lines - packed with the upper level loyalty folks.  But I'll go if invited!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Ted and Barb,

We're boarding the Rotterdam on Feb. 15 along with another couple, Claudia and Jerry. We met you and Barbara on the South Pacific cruise and did the Bora Bora tour with you. Hope to catch up with you on board! We're on until March 8.

Brenda and Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I didn't know 3*s were included in a reception.  On Zuidy this past June in Alaska, pretty sure I wasn't invited to one.

 

On our upcoming TA in April, I imagine the vast majority of pax will be 4 & 5*.  That's what I've found on TAs on other lines - packed with the upper level loyalty folks.  But I'll go if invited!

That was the first time since we became 4 star back around 2015 that 3 star have been invited to the reception.  Maybe they were included to encourage them to keep sailing on HAL.  It was a large group so they used the entire Lido pool area.  I would guess about 250 to 300 total guests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

That was the first time since we became 4 star back around 2015 that 3 star have been invited to the reception.  Maybe they were included to encourage them to keep sailing on HAL.  It was a large group so they used the entire Lido pool area.  I would guess about 250 to 300 total guests.

I am curious what time of day this reception was held? Did this mean that other passengers could not use this pool at that time? 

 

I am excited that my local casino has given me a voucher for a cruise on HAL. I am thinking about booking a cruise on Rotterdam to the ABC islands. It looks like a lovely ship, and I know my husband and I would enjoy the music walk and World Stage events. I have just started reading this forum to get an idea how things work. Have cruised previously mostly with NCL, also with Royal and Celebrity.

 

Thank you iflyrc5 for starting this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reporting on your Rotterdam cruise. We're sailing her in mid-March.

 

I've read that in order to turn on the cabin lights, you need to insert your cruise card in a wall slot near the door. Does it have to be your actual cruise card or will any plastic card work? I'm concerned that I will leave the cabin without my cruise card if I have to stick it into the wall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am curious what time of day this reception was held? Did this mean that other passengers could not use this pool at that time? 

 

I am excited that my local casino has given me a voucher for a cruise on HAL. I am thinking about booking a cruise on Rotterdam to the ABC islands. It looks like a lovely ship, and I know my husband and I would enjoy the music walk and World Stage events. I have just started reading this forum to get an idea how things work. Have cruised previously mostly with NCL, also with Royal and Celebrity.

 

Thank you iflyrc5 for starting this thread.

The 3/4/5 star reception was from 7 to 8pm and I am sure it took a while to clear the deck of chairs so I would guess that process probably started around 5:30pm but don't know for sure as we were at dinner at that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, boatmad said:

We use an old library card or AARP card.  That way no one gets locked out.  We are careful to not leave all the lights on when we aren’t there.

That is the same thing we do.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

The 3/4/5 star reception was from 7 to 8pm and I am sure it took a while to clear the deck of chairs so I would guess that process probably started around 5:30pm but don't know for sure as we were at dinner at that time.

That seems like a good time to have held the reception, so it did not cut into anyone's time by the pool. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Clearing was quick1213221812a_HDR_Edited.thumb.jpg.48b53871bf49adf7e127064ada0d2cfd.jpg. Only the loungers were moved. Plenty of room for everyone. This was our 4th reception this trip. Very nice and I had my picture with our captain.

 

 

My sister is a 4 star,  I need to encourage her to attend even though I can't go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Is Rotterdem returning to St Maarten right now or is that a different HAL ship? It’s 7pm Wednesday night and they were docked next to us.

As of 11:53pm we are heading for Martinique so not the Rotterdam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had 6 guests that were late returning to the ship for our all aboard time of 4:30 so the ship did not leave until a little after 5pm.  We had 6 ships in St Maarten today which made if very crowded all over.

 

Here are is the daily program for Thursday, Jan 19

20230118_162346.jpg

DSCN3756.JPG

DSCN3757.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the live report.  We board the Rotterdam next week for our first cruise since we disembarked the Maasdam in San Diego on her final, COVID curtailed voyage.  We are looking forward to seeing another Dam ship after so long!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

 

You can join your sis. Are you in the same cabin? 

Thank you,  we are in the same cabin....unless she gets fed up with me and kicks me out🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance - Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise News
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...