VISTA & DREAM Comparison

hillbillycruisers

We just returned from a 6 day Cruise on the Dream, and I wanted to share my thoughts on the comparison between the Dream, and our Cruise on the Vista last November. Both Cruises were out of Galveston. We had a great time on both, and there were pros and cons with each. Our MDR service was MUCH better on the Dream...great, funny staff...and they had us finished every night in around an hour, sometimes less. The Vista MDR aways took close to two hours...plus they messed up my order several times. Food quality was probably about the same on both. The piano bar on the Dream was a zillion times better than the Vista...Sean did an awesome job, and there was lots of fun  crowd interaction and singing along. The piano bar on the Vista was more like a morgue....very, very dull. Unlike the Vista, The Dream did not require a cabin key card to manipulate the cabin lights...just a good old light switch. I found it a little odd that the Vista served breakfast 30 minutes earlier than the Dream each morning...something I really liked. A big plus for the Vista was having the Red Frog Pub in the place where the Dream had their art gallery. Who goes on a cruise to hang out in the art gallery?? And I'm even an artist. The biggest advantage the Dream had over the Vista was being able to arrive on time returning to Galveston...we actually arrived over an hour ahead of time. We were off the boat and sitting in our cab at 7:30 a.m. On the Vista, with its well known propulsion issues, we were over an hour late returning. Since we have an 11 hour drive back to Missouri, this is important. Also, the Dream has a much better show room...with many more tables for drinks. The show room on the Vista was set up poorly, in my opinion. I liked the Vista singers and dancers much better than the ones on the Dream. Of course, any Cruise should be a fun time...and I look forward to the next one. 😀 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another thing I always mention in the comparison is Dream only has a steakhouse and no Italian or JiJis. And the movie theater on Vista gives you one more thing to try out.

Btw, it sounds like I was on your cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tweak89 said:

I will NEVER understand the space wasted on these ridiculous "art" galleries.  Do they really make enough money over other possible attractions (that would appeal to everyone) to justify it??

My guess is that it will go away in the next major dry dock.  None of the newer ships have them. 

I am on the Dream right now and there is a lot of wasted space, including the giant disco in the middle of the Promenade deck which is only used a few hours per day, and the rather large internet Cafe that never seems to have anyone using it. 

Speaking of wasted space, I was just surprised they used the jazz club for 2 hours last week. A few months ago it wasn't used at all in 8 days. Although that room always smells like sewage around the outside door/left side of the bar, which may be why they don't use it.

I've also been on both - I prefer the Dream.  I had a regular aft balcony, and the Havana area disrupts the view and the quiet with the ocean.  And yes, when I look down, I would like to see the blue waves, not someone's bikini top and towel,  and a tray of dishes sitting there.  Just my opinion.