Does your restless leg syndrome get worse on a cruise? If so why?

pookel

I'm on day 3 of a 9 day cruise, my first, and I'm having a blast - except for one thing. My RLS is so awful I can't get any sleep, and I'm so tired all the time I'm on medication for it but it's not helping much  Any ideas/tips? 

My RLS is always worse in a warmer climate. We lived in Florida for several years and I had problems almost every single night. So it could be that you're like me, and hot weather makes it worse. 

Things that worked - stretching hamstrings and calf muscles really well before bed. Stretching again in the middle of the night.

Bengay or Icy Hot or anything like that. You can probably get it on the ship or in a port.

Drinking more water. I've never noticed an association between alcohol and RLS but drinking more water can't hurt.

22 hours ago, pookel said:

I'm on day 3 of a 9 day cruise, my first, and I'm having a blast - except for one thing. My RLS is so awful I can't get any sleep, and I'm so tired all the time I'm on medication for it but it's not helping much  Any ideas/tips? 

Have you been taking anti-nausea medication?  That’s a trigger for RLS.  Taking vitamins should help counter-act the effect if you can’t cut down on the anti-nausea meds.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, *Miss G* said:

Have you been taking anti-nausea medication?  That’s a trigger for RLS.  Taking vitamins should help counter-act the effect if you can’t cut down on the anti-nausea meds.

Hey, I read this while my internet was limited & forgot to respond later, but THANK YOU for this tip, I stopped taking meclizine and my RLS went back to normal manageable levels. I just took zofran as needed if I started feeling seasick. 

• Like 1