Boarding times enforced?

flyguy909

So I messed up and didn't do the check in as soon as I got the notification.  As a result only the latest boarding times were still available for our Escape cruise this Sat. 

Anyone know how strict NCL is with the boarding times?   I'm worried about booking decent show and tender times by the time we board.

2 minutes ago, flyguy909 said:

So I messed up and didn't do the check in as soon as I got the notification.  As a result only the latest boarding times were still available for our Escape cruise this Sat. 

Anyone know how strict NCL is with the boarding times?   I'm worried about booking decent show and tender times by the time we board.

You are talking about TWO DIFFERENT TIMES.  When you complete your online process then you get a time to CHECK-IN at the port.  Boarding time to actually go a board the ship usually begins somewhere around 11 A.M. and can vary from cruise to cruise.  It depends on how l ong it takes to reach a "O" passenger count from the prior cruise.

Relax and enjoy

11 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

You are talking about TWO DIFFERENT TIMES.  When you complete your online process then you get a time to CHECK-IN at the port.  Boarding time to actually go a board the ship usually begins somewhere around 11 A.M. and can vary from cruise to cruise.  It depends on how l ong it takes to reach a "O" passenger count from the prior cruise.

Relax and enjoy

Really?  You couldn't acknowledge the relationship between check-in times and boarding times and help the OP out?

@flyguy909 My experience is that the check-in times are not enforced.  If I were in your shoes, I would still plan to get to the port as early as I possibly could, recognizing that they may decide to enforce the times and you'll find yourself waiting.  But I've not experienced that. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, flyguy909 said:

You received a check in time which is rarely enforced. Go to the port when you want, rush and get there early and wait for boarding to begin, or go a little later and avoid the wait. 

• Like 1

most of the times the people doing the check in, dont even look at your check in time. also, unless youre booked into a haven or a suite, once your re through  the security checkpoint and the check in counter, youll probably be given a group number and told (as in the old army saying) "hurry up and wait!" until your group number is called. even then, your cabin probably wont be ready for you until after 2 pm. and you'll be directed along with a few 1000 of your closest friends, to either the buffet, pool area or a dining room. so dont sweat the boarding time/process. if youre there the ship aint leaving without you

Short answer - it depends. They may enforce them, and if you get there at 9am you'll be sitting and waiting (possibly outside in the rain) for 2+ hours until your real time appears. Or, you may be able to get in and get one of the earlier boarding passes.

It also depends on the port you're sailing from, as it seems the flexibility and rules vary greatly. Our Alaska trip out of Seattle we were not even allowed to enter the terminal building to check-in 30 minutes early. We literally sat on a bench watching the clock and the security guard for a half hour before he finally got sick of us looking at him and he said we could go climb the stairs. We were in Haven that trip too and it didn't help us get in more than 5 minutes before the time on our paperwork.

On 1/18/2023 at 1:40 PM, flyguy909 said:

In New Orleans the first group was checked.  After I went through the line not sure what happened.  I did see them removing some from the line.

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Short answer - it depends. They may enforce them, and if you get there at 9am you'll be sitting and waiting (possibly outside in the rain) for 2+ hours until your real time appears. Or, you may be able to get in and get one of the earlier boarding passes.

And, if you show up earlier than  your time, you may 'get one of the earlier boarding passes, that rightfully should have gone to someone who arrived at their assigned time. In effect, you're 'jumping the line'.