Viking Ocean bar menus

phil1107

Just now, bunniebird said:

You are absolutely correct, my bad.  Mixed up another cruise line.  I found that only the Living room baristas actually made the coffee vs self serve machines, but you are making me question that.

You are correct. In the World Cafe, there are automatic machines that make espresso, double espressos, americano, latte, cappuccino, and hot chocolate.  These machines grind the beans and then dispense the coffee. The mugs are sized perfect to hold an americano + an espresso, it’s become my morning beverage. (The takeaway cups aren’t large enough for both)

IMG_2441.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 12:19 PM, Missmelisk said:

Hello fellow drinkers!
Does anyone have input on the price of "non-alcoholic" beverages that so I can include that in determining if I would like to buy the SSBP? 
Specifically, what is the going cost for a cappuccino or latte? 
And is anything other than coffee/tea offered with breakfast? For example, if I wanted a glass of orange juice, is that extra? 

thanks much - I tried searching and failed! 

On 3/3/2024 at 12:19 PM, Missmelisk said:

Hello fellow drinkers!
Does anyone have input on the price of "non-alcoholic" beverages that so I can include that in determining if I would like to buy the SSBP? 
Specifically, what is the going cost for a cappuccino or latte? 
And is anything other than coffee/tea offered with breakfast? For example, if I wanted a glass of orange juice, is that extra? 

thanks much - I tried searching and failed! 

Be sure to specify fresh-squeezed o.j., if that’s your preference.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes extra for them to get it, but it’s so worth it, to me.

Edited by May B

2 minutes ago, May B said:

Be sure to specify fresh-squeezed o.j., if that’s your preference.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes extra for the to get it, but it’s so worth it, to me.

Had a nasty experience with powdered on Venus. Hadn't occurred to us that it was a possibility. Even the long life with bits in cartons would have been comparatively OK

23 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Had a nasty experience with powdered on Venus. Hadn't occurred to us that it was a possibility. Even the long life with bits in cartons would have been comparatively OK

I’m only 77 y.o., but I’ve never heard of, nor been subjected to, powdered o.j. When I googled, I found it, by mail order. I also found Tang, which of course isn’t juice.

I don’t know what “long life with bits” refers to, either. Do you mean bits of pulp?

6 minutes ago, May B said:

I’m only 77 y.o., but I’ve never heard of, nor been subjected to, powdered o.j. When I googled, I found it, by mail order. I also found Tang, which of course isn’t juice.

I don’t know what “long life with bits” refers to, either. Do you mean bits of pulp?

I don't think powdered oj is juice either.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, May B said:

I knew about powdered, it's an ingredient in some cheap drinks. It's dried pulp or juice, similar idea as powdered milk. Long life is the juice in cartons, a brand name in the UK is tropicana, but most stores do own brand. 'Bits' are the bits of the fruit flesh that are in non filtered juice, they aren't bits of pulp

Edited by KBs mum

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

I knew about powdered, it's an ingredient in some cheap drinks. It's dried pulp or juice, similar idea as powdered milk. Long life is the juice in cartons, a brand name in the UK is tropicana, but most stores do own brand. 'Bits' are the bits of the fruit flesh that are in non filtered juice, they aren't bits of pulp

I don’t even know about filtered vs. non filtered!

I guess the answer is, I’m asking for fresh-squeezed and if they don’t have it, I’ll switch to V-8!

Edited by May B

12 minutes ago, May B said:

I don’t even know about filtered vs. non filtered!

I guess the answer is, I’m asking for fresh-squeezed and if they don’t have it, I’ll switch to V-8!

I once encountered fresh squeezed made from concentrate! The concentrate was made from freshly squeezed fruit, apparently. 

I gave up on it as a bad idea 

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

'Bits' are the bits of the fruit flesh that are in non filtered juice, they aren't bits of pulp

I have always thought the bits of the fruit flesh were called pulp.  So what then, is pulp?

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I once encountered fresh squeezed made from concentrate! The concentrate was made from freshly squeezed fruit, apparently. 

No such thing as "fresh squeezed made from concentrate" - think about it.

7 hours ago, millybess said:

I have always thought the bits of the fruit flesh were called pulp.  So what then, is pulp?

The mush left after the juice has been extracted 

18 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Well, concentrate is certainly made from fresh-squeezed. Where else would they get it?

It’s not what we’re looking for, when we request fresh-squeezed.

16 hours ago, millybess said:

Fruit pulp is the most basic product created by the processing of fresh fruit. It contains both the juice and the pulp, which is the stringy fibre which is often removed from fruit juice. Fruit pulps can be processed and stored for long periods of time without losing their colour, flavour or texture.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, you are great, thanks a lot. Next August 17, 2024 we will have our first Viking  on Neptune around British Isles. We are not sure if worth it to buy  Silver Spirit package. We use to drink at the pool margarita or Aperol  or vermouth and before dinner maybe a Prosecco or some cocktail.

We think we are on the line between to think is a good idea to get it or not.

Please help us to decide. 

Have a nice time and thanks a lot in advance.

Federico from Spain (sorry for my english that is not good enough)

Hello, you are great, thanks a lot. Next August 17, 2024 we will have our first Viking  on Neptune around British Isles. We are not sure if worth it to buy  Silver Spirit package. We use to drink at the pool margarita or Aperol  or vermouth and before dinner maybe a Prosecco or some cocktail.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, fefe1961 said:

The price of most cocktails is $8.50. IMO unless each person in your cabin drinks more than 3 drinks every day, you can’t justify the $25 per day per person cost. Beer and wine is included with meals and the SSP doesn’t offer anything exclusive as far as wine selection. You can still order anything and pay for it. Also, Viking allows you to bring your own beverages aboard. There is no corking charge.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:16 AM, Clay Clayton said:

You are correct. In the World Cafe, there are automatic machines that make espresso, double espressos, americano, latte, cappuccino, and hot chocolate.  These machines grind the beans and then dispense the coffee. The mugs are sized perfect to hold an americano + an espresso, it’s become my morning beverage. (The takeaway cups aren’t large enough for both)

IMG_2441.jpeg

51 minutes ago, fefe1961 said:

Really only you can decide! We get it because I can no longer drink wine 😤 due to acid reflux, however G&Ts, cocktails, non alcoholic cocktails etc I don’t have a problem with and it works out well for us.

• Like 1

Just now, fefe1961 said:

No need to apologize, your English is much better than my spanish!  Welcome to Viking-hope you will enjoy your first cruise. 

If between you both you will have at least 6 drinks a day you will break even. We typically don’t buy the package on port intensive cruises as we find the wine or beer at meals is typically sufficient. Our travel agent provides onboard credit which typically will cover our gratuities with enough left over for our small bar tab.  On cruises that have few ports, we find we drink more and therefore either buy the package or at the first duty free port we will buy a bottle of liquor and make our own. 

If you haven’t discovered it yet, you might want to check out this thread which provides lots of advice and tips to make the most of your first Viking cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

No need to apologize, your English is much better than my spanish!  Welcome to Viking-hope you will enjoy your first cruise. 

If between you both you will have at least 6 drinks a day you will break even. We typically don’t buy the package on port intensive cruises as we find the wine or beer at meals is typically sufficient. Our travel agent provides onboard credit which typically will cover our gratuities with enough left over for our small bar tab.  On cruises that have few ports, we find we drink more and therefore either buy the package or at the first duty free port we will buy a bottle of liquor and make our own. 

If you haven’t discovered it yet, you might want to check out this thread which provides lots of advice and tips to make the most of your first Viking cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

Thanks a lot Clay, you are very kind answering me. You are right about if there few or a lot ports, that change our decision. This itinerary have ports everyday, this situation change things at all.

Thanks again, Regards 

Federico

1 hour ago, wine-wine-wine said:

DW and I make Viking accountants weep when we sign up for SS on a transatlantic. 🤣

hahahaha sounds great, thanks for your comments 

We have one Oceania next year from Lisbon to New York and for sure we will get premium package for both of us

Regards from Spain

• Like 1