Additional cabin items

elmsliebev

We're sailing Virtuosa in March, first time MSC cruisers, status matched to Silver.

Do we get bathrobes and slippers in the cabin or can we request them (Bella experience for us)? Also do we get cotton wool, tissues etc or again, can we request?

many thanks

2 hours ago, NightWoman said:

If you have a Bella or Fantastica cabin there's no extras that includes tissues and cotton wool.

Diamond level or in the YC you will have them, not sure what's provided in the suites. 

I didn't think they would be provided as standard, but can I ask for them? 

15 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

No robes even on request in Bella experience. That is the lowest room category they offer. You can request a box of tissues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

Tissues, yes.  Robes, no.  There's no way a ship would have enough robes to supply everyone.  They are allocated for yacht club, aurea, and Diamond Voyagers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Tissues, yes.  Robes, no.  There's no way a ship would have enough robes to supply everyone.  They are allocated for yacht club, aurea, and Diamond Voyagers.

thanks, we're used to getting them in the lowet category on Cunard, but no problem, will just take my own. It's a no-fly cruise for us.

11 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

thanks, we're used to getting them in the lowet category on Cunard, but no problem, will just take my own. It's a no-fly cruise for us.

You are correct that most lines provide these items no matter the level or loyalty status.  We are just off the Mera…fantastica level in a balcony…we were “not allowed” tissues.  I bought some in Nassau and by coincidence a couple of people in line were doing the same thing.   We had to ask for facecloths that never arrived.  At first we thought it was just a poor stateroom attendant but I then found out that it is standard practice.  The only amenities in the room were soap by the sink in a built-in pump, shampoo ( no conditioner)and shower gel in containers in the shower and 2 beach towels ( $30 charge each towel if not in the room upon disembarkation). Depending on the length of your itinerary you may wish to consider bringing your own shampoo/conditioner. 

• Like 3

Just now, Cancun01 said:

You are correct that most lines provide these items no matter the level or loyalty status.  We are just off the Mera…fantastica level in a balcony…we were “not allowed” tissues.  I bought some in Nassau and by coincidence a couple of people in line were doing the same thing.   We had to ask for facecloths that never arrived.  At first we thought it was just a poor stateroom attendant but I then found out that it is standard practice.  The only amenities in the room were soap by the sink in a built-in pump, shampoo ( no conditioner)and shower gel in containers in the shower and 2 beach towels ( $30 charge each towel if not in the room upon disembarkation). Depending on the length of your itinerary you may wish to consider bringing your own shampoo/conditioner. 

I can assure you that is not “standard” practice. Nothing with MSC is standard. It varies from cruise to cruise and ship to ship. That is the most frustrating thing about them. 

Just off Divina a week ago today. Our cabin steward provided us with washcloths and boxes of tissues throughout our 14

day cruise.

We had an aft facing Fantastica balcony room. 10262 to be exact.  Suga (short for a very long Indian name was our attendant).

He was fantastic and the most engaging room attendant we’ve had on MSC. 
How did I receive these things if they are “not allowed”?  

On our first day before going to dinner I left him a note on our bed requesting tissues, wash cloths and ice in the bucket.
Everything was there when we returned from dinner. 

Does it depend on the room steward? Maybe. A nice tip every few days helps too. 😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I can assure you that is not “standard” practice. Nothing with MSC is standard. It varies from cruise to cruise and ship to ship. That is the most frustrating thing about them. 

Just off Divina a week ago today. Our cabin steward provided us with washcloths and boxes of tissues throughout our 14

day cruise.

We had an aft facing Fantastica balcony room. 10262 to be exact.  Suga (short for a very long Indian name was our attendant).

He was fantastic and the most engaging room attendant we’ve had on MSC. 
How did I receive these things if they are “not allowed”?  

On our first day before going to dinner I left him a note on our bed requesting tissues, wash cloths and ice in the bucket.
Everything was there when we returned from dinner. 

Does it depend on the room steward? Maybe. A nice tip every few days helps too. 😉

• Like 1

We didn’t have washcloths on our first Divina cruise in2013, but it was the three day US inaugural.  I’m sure all of the travel agents onboard did get them.  Next cruise on Divina we did have tissue and washcloth.  On Seaside we had washcloth, I think maybe tissue, too.  Also had washcloth on Armonia but not tissue.  I learned long ago to take a washcloth when traveling in Europe, as they are not standard in hotels, either.  EM

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

we're used to getting them in the lowet category on Cunard,

isn't Cunard a luxury cruise line? Did you pay the same for the lowest category on Cunard as you paid for the lowest category on MSC? Not sure why anyone would expect robes and slippers to be available in the no frills category on MSC...

Tissues used to be in every cabin regardless of experience, then a couple of years back MSC decided to make cutbacks and tissues were one of the things that went. The trouble is like the land based operations where you can get three different answers to the same question from three different people, YouCan have three different items that may or may not be available on three different ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

isn't Cunard a luxury cruise line? Did you pay the same for the lowest category on Cunard as you paid for the lowest category on MSC? Not sure why anyone would expect robes and slippers to be available in the no frills category on MSC...

that's a bit harsh. I was merely saying what my previous experience was. I've never cruised with MSC before so amazingly, I don't know everything about them! Cunard may think it's a luxury line, I'm not so sure. We had to ask for tissues, body lotion, bars of soap last year. And yes, this one was a bargain, but once you add in gratuities on Cunard and the speciality dining we've chosen (much better choice than on Cunard btw), the price wasn't that different. 

Edited by elmsliebev

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Seriously?  The OP is simply asking about stateroom amenities. 

Cunard is a class-based premium line  which includes a very reasonably-priced steerage category ( some cabins lower priced than MSC) but even then basic amenities are included.  The dog kennels are all luxurious though.   

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Oops, your entitlement's  showing Itchy..

45 minutes ago, Dunchues said:

Oops, your entitlement's  showing Itchy..

lol, mine???? We travel in the cheapest inside cabins, very rarely being able to afford an obstructed balcony. I've only heard of Cunard here on this forum....

I genuinely wanted to know if she paid the same price for a luxury cruise as she did for MSC's Bella cabin and expected the same amenities.

I've done my research on MSC on CC and when we (hopefully) sail on Seascape this fall, I will set my expectations a wee bit below Princess and RCI - that way, I won't be unpleasantly surprised if things don't work out as they usually do on those cruise lines. For example, soft serve ice cream is only available at the buffet during meal times, not snack times. At all the other times, we have to either pay for it or have a minor's package....  But soft serve is not really a premium item on most cruise lines. I am glad OP is doing her (his?) own research as well.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

I’ve been on a number of other cruise lines, and on every one robes were provided.  If they weren’t in the cabin on boarding they were in the laundry.  If I want one, I ask.  On HL there are different quality robes in the upper categories.  On another line, only the upper categories got slippers.  EM

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

lol, mine???? We travel in the cheapest inside cabins, very rarely being able to afford an obstructed balcony. I've only heard of Cunard here on this forum....

I genuinely wanted to know if she paid the same price for a luxury cruise as she did for MSC's Bella cabin and expected the same amenities.

I've done my research on MSC on CC and when we (hopefully) sail on Seascape this fall, I will set my expectations a wee bit below Princess and RCI - that way, I won't be unpleasantly surprised if things don't work out as they usually do on those cruise lines. For example, soft serve ice cream is only available at the buffet during meal times, not snack times. At all the other times, we have to either pay for it or have a minor's package....  But soft serve is not really a premium item on most cruise lines. I am glad OP is doing her (his?) own research as well.

It's "her" 😀 . We got a bargain Black Friday cruise with MSC (including a balcony upgrade for an extra £9pp!). My expectations are set the same as every holiday I go on. I expect to enjoy it. My first cruise was a converted car ferry called MS Van Gogh to the Fjords and I absoutely loved it. One of our best ones was with CMV,  a very budget line where we went to Dublin, the Scilly Isles and Rouen. We've been with Costa so I'm expecting something similar but a bigger ship. She certainly looks spectacular. 

I do tend to do lots of research (retired systems analyst/progammer, now working part time n a library) - it's part of the holiday for me. My husband just turns up on the day! 

We've taken the alcohol-free package and apparently that includes soft serve ice cream all day, so i'm very happy. 

Now, where's my spare bathrobe?? 🤣

• Like 5

6 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

I do tend to do lots of research (retired systems analyst/programmer, now working part time n a library) - it's part of the holiday for me. My husband just turns up on the day! 

same! Except, HE is a programmer. 🙂 I used to be a research assistant, so I guess I have gotten good at it. 🙂 

P.S. In all of our cruise history we got the robe only once - it was some kind of a special one time perk that came with the cabin (maybe, from a TA? I don't remember). I still had to request it, but I was thoroughly disappointed - I was a bit fluffy at that time (much fluffier now), but despite being XL, the robe was abysmally small.

I hope you enjoy your cruise very much!

• Like 1