Arvia Dining - Expectations vs Reality

Chrish2

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm not sure what tye answer is on the two bigger ships.  When we've booked a saver fare on Britannia or Azura 9 times out of 10 we've been given freedom.  As a result our setting in My P&O are set by them as our preference is that- we actually don't mind it.  Our difficulties arise if we are given 8.30pm club dining as it won't work for medical reasons.  We have had major trouble changing from that on both Azura and Britannia as they were pretty strict on the no change for saver fares, to the point where a few years ago we did not eat one meal in MDR on Azura as they refused point blank to let us change.

An awful lot of the bookings at Christmas and on Arvia/Iona are savers due to the ludicrous select -v- saver difference so I'm assuming a more flexible approach will be in place.

We usually book saver fare and albeit it hasn't happened often as we have always requested freedom or first sitting we have always been able to change when given second sitting.

From my experience and what I have been told when chatting to restaurant staff is that where older cruisers are the majority then first sitting is the most popular, as opposed to a younger clientele which seems to be what P&O are working towards.

Having a MDR on Iona and Arvia should ease some of the problems as no electronic devices are required and P&O would know where where a certain number of people would be at a given time. They also will have a fair idea as to what percentage will go to the buffet and speciality restaurants.

The model of 2 sittings plus freedom seems to generally work and probably pleases more people overall that what is occurring on Iona and Arvia. Sometimes if something isn't broke why try and mend it. Time will tell.

• Like 3

We can book both MDR's on Arvia for our cruise in early Feb. However the options are limited to 1730- 1815 in the Meridian and 1800 -1900  or 2115 onwards in the Zenith apart from one day where they've opened up from 2000 hrs.

I guess the peak times will become available once onboard. Its worth noting 1830-1900 times have mostly been booked over the 14 days.  

Edited by doog442
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, doog442 said:

We can book both MDR's on Arvia for our cruise in early Feb. However the options are limited to 1730hrs- 1815hrs in the Meridian and 1800hrs -1900hrs  or 2115hrs onwards in the Zenith.

I guess the peak times will become available once onboard.  

Which shows that the ability to pre-book those quieter times before you board isn't the problem. I like the idea of being able to get all my ducks in a row before joining the ship; less anxiety for me.

As I previously stated in an earlier post, the only times there was any long queue at Zenith was on the first formal night during the peak period, which appeared to be exacerbated by stretched staff not being able to clear tables quickly enough.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So I wonder why they are not offering this facility on Iona (or perhaps it’s just an IT glitch for this particular cruise). 

Like Tiger B I like to be organised but on this occasion it’s not possible which is frustrating

In November (on Iona) the ability to book a fixed early sitting at dinner was available on board.  As we didn't use it I can't be exact but I think that what I read in the Horizon were details of being able to do a block restaurant booking for each day for a dining time prior to 18:15. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, doog442 said:

We can book both MDR's on Arvia for our cruise in early Feb. However the options are limited to 1730- 1815 in the Meridian and 1800 -1900  or 2115 onwards in the Zenith apart from one day where they've opened up from 2000 hrs.

I guess the peak times will become available once onboard. Its worth noting 1830-1900 times have mostly been booked over the 14 days.  

Has anyone been able to book the MDR beforehand on Iona as we haven’t been able to book the MDR in advance on any other ship. 

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It appears that given a forced fixed time the majority choose 6.30 to allow them to enjoy the events around the ship without having very late nights. It's not much fun to go to bed at midnight to leave on a tour at 8.00am where you meet at 7.30!

As a regular Cunard traveller I'm very pleased they're introducing another option.

Certainly in the past, I think the passenger age demographic plays a part too. I feel the majority - but not all - of maturer pax prefer to eat earlier rather than later. Personally, I'd hate having to start getting ready for dinner about 5.30, especially in warmer climes.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Certainly in the past, I think the passenger age demographic plays a part too. I feel the majority - but not all - of maturer pax prefer to eat earlier rather than later. Personally, I'd hate having to start getting ready for dinner about 5.30, especially in warmer climes.

Each to his own I suppose.  If I'm travelling alone I eat later but due to medication requirements eating for my OH needs to cease by 7.30 or thereabouts at the absolute latest.  We also go to bed early, usually by 10.00 if he's travelling with me. You get used to it but do need understanding from the ship or hotel.   Early to bed early to rise, he swims every morning at 6.00am too although has to adjust to 7.00am on board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It appears that given a forced fixed time the majority choose 6.30 to allow them to enjoy the events around the ship without having very late nights. It's not much fun to go to bed at midnight to leave on a tour at 8.00am where you meet at 7.30!

As a regular Cunard traveller I'm very pleased they're introducing another option.

I’m the opposite, I would hate being assigned 6.30 as we like to make full use of the day. When not on Iona/Arvia we select second sitting. On Iona we tend to aim to eat at 8.00pm.

Our next cruise is on Arvia in April I’m hoping we can pre book 8pm before we go. We had one Iona cruise last year where we could pre book and it made my evening more relaxing not having to look at the dining queue and assess when to join and I didn’t have to refresh to check our progress etc. 

1 minute ago, smokey01 said:

I’m the opposite, I would hate being assigned 6.30 as we like to make full use of the day. When not on Iona/Arvia we select second sitting. On Iona we tend to aim to eat at 8.00pm.

Our next cruise is on Arvia in April I’m hoping we can pre book 8pm before we go. We had one Iona cruise last year where we could pre book and it made my evening more relaxing not having to look at the dining queue and assess when to join and I didn’t have to refresh to check our progress etc. 

You'll see from my post above why we need early dining.  As I say everybody as different requirements.  I hope it works out for your cruise, it can be very difficult if not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

Probably not. As doog442 writes, in February it's only available in Meridian until 18:15 and in Zenith until 19:00, apart from one night only when it was available from 20:00. It may be though that, on your first night you may be able to book for your desired times through My Holiday, or be able to have a word with one of the restaurant hosts.

We, like Megabear2, don't choose to eat early because it suits us; there are health reasons for doing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy v said:

It could possibly be to try and alleviate the queues on Arvia. If you can only book earlier times. It may encourage more people to do so. They could then be fed and watered and leaving before the rush at 7.30p.m.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Allow bookings for the quieter / less popular times, thus pulling pressure away from the peak times?

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 4:45 PM, Megabear2 said:

I think that's what they're doing.  

Or they could go back to the old system of two sittings for saver fare and freedom for select. They would know how many staff to provide at any given time, as they used to. Seemed to work well for years. 

It seems to me, and this is only my opinion, of course, that most of the queueing problems stem from two things; firstly, a lack of staff (and the adequate training thereof), and the app that isn't. 

• Like 1