What can I do with this GTY cabin hack?

RCCL Fan

14 minutes ago, sowhat said:

I have emailed Royal Caribbean to find out which of the terms and conditions are correct and which ones to ignore as  I have been informed they are incorrect

If you choose to believe what a junior customer service clerk who is simply reading the exact same thing as you, are off the website then feel free to take that as gospel....

Or you can listen to the advice of literally hundreds of people sharing their own personal experiences with having been able to change cabins.

When a company continues to regularly do something that goes against what they have posted then you can view that posted policy as outdated up until such time as they decide to start enforcing it.  No one is doing anything wrong in asking for their rooms to be changed, if Royal wanted to stop it they could.  It is not up to the consumer to make sure that they read all of a company's fine print before they ask for something.

This is no different than Royals policy on having all adults in the same stateroom purchase the alcoholic beverage package.  It's not posted yet you can call in and they will allow the second person to purchase the refreshment package instead.  Another example would be where they sate that underage kids have to be berthed in a room with an adult, again not correct.

If you choose to follow everything posted on the website that is fine but you are missing out. Don't judge other for simply doing what Royal is openly allowing.  People sharing their experiences is in no way cheating or gaming the system as some may suggest.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

Before my Anthem cruise in December, I found out my GTY cabin # thru the hack.  While not a terrible location, I saw others available (in the same category) that I preferred.

Tried calling Royal that day, but on their end it was still unassigned.  I even tried telling the person that I knew what my cabin would be (and how I found out), but they weren't aware of the hack.  So they couldn't do anything.

The cabin was officially assigned about two weeks later - but by then, there was no other availability in that category.  Ah well. 

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You should really stop posting info that while listed on their website that does not apply.  Just accept the fact that there is lots of incorrect information posted on their website.

If its on the website, it is what should be followed. Some of you encourage people to call in and omit the fact that they book a guarantee to be able to cheat the system and pick the cabin for a highly reduced rate. TAs, especially,  should not encourage ways to cheat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

If its on the website, it is what should be followed. Some of you encourage people to call in and omit the fact that they book a guarantee to be able to cheat the system and pick the cabin for a highly reduced rate. TAs, especially,  should not encourage ways to cheat.

I wish there was a thumbs down button(with regards to your post). If Royal Caribbean themselves allow this to happen, then that is the current policy, stated or not. Knowledge centers are historically wrong for big corporations. The data is not scoured and updated often enough to keep it relevant and fresh.  They may not want to advertise the ability to change guaranteed rooms, but they do allow it

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I wish there was a thumbs down button(with regards to your post). If Royal Caribbean themselves allow this to happen, then that is the current policy, stated or not. Knowledge centers are historically wrong for big corporations. The data is not scoured and updated often enough to keep it relevant and fresh.  They may not want to advertise the ability to change guaranteed rooms, but they do allow it

Try calling in and saying "I booked a guaranteed cabin but see a better cabin. Can I move to it?" You will be told no. It is only through duplicity that you can move, misleading staff. 

And, in the process, you are causing other potential cruisers to settle for a lesser cabin that you didn’t want instead of having their pick of all non-guarantee cabins.

Do you teach your kids to cheat?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Again, it is not cheating anything when Royals staff openly allow it.  It is up to Royal to enforce their rules and if they choose not to or as I suggested that what is on the website inaccurate or outdated information then that is on them and not the customer and yes I will always put what is in the best interest of my client first.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Try calling in and saying "I booked a guaranteed cabin but see a better cabin. Can I move to it?" You will be told no. It is only through duplicity that you can move, misleading staff. 

And, in the process, you are causing other potential cruisers to settle for a lesser cabin that you didn’t want instead of having their pick of all non-guarantee cabins.

The reps can see exactly what category you booked when they pull up your reservation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Ok 😂 

You are so much holier than anybody I know!

• Haha 2

Fred, it’s called research.   This is not cheating.  Just because a given party decides not to research their opportunities on a cruise doesn’t mean that those that do are cheating.

I am guessing that most of those who book a guaranteed cabin are happy with just that, a guaranteed cabin. Anywhere on the ship in the category that they booked.  So be it.  Those that know that royal allows you to switch to other, albeit limited, cabinet locations within your category are not in the wrong.  If it were so, Royal would not allow it.  Plain and simple.  Cheating.  Pff, as if.

We’ve never booked guaranteed cabins, but we’ve run into similar situation’s during our many Walt Disney World vacations where people think we are cheating for various reasons, but really it’s due to their ignorance and lack of research and planning.

On 1/24/2023 at 1:01 AM, RCCL Fan said:

and lastly.... just for fun... why do people book connecting rooms, and just book one of them? 

Why would you go out of your way to choose a cabin with a door to the next room, and not know the people on the other said of said door?? hahaha 

I only know of one reason - Ben and Jerry's Sweet.  We received Cowcierge lounge access at an inside stateroom rate.  I don't know if they still do that for "Sweet" lounge access.

Edited by Rewind

On 1/24/2023 at 1:01 AM, RCCL Fan said:

Why would you go out of your way to choose a cabin with a door to the next room, and not know the people on the other said of said door?? hahaha 

You are too focused on your own interpretation to realize what is really going on (because connecting rooms is understandably part of your search criteria). How do you know that anyone "goes out of their way" to book a connecting room?

After sailing with Royal 60 or more times, this is roughly how I choose a stateroom. I find a price category that I consider to be a value. Within that category, I look at deck plans - what's above and below, how close to elevators, how close to areas of the ship that tend to be noisy, how close to center of gravity, size and shape of the balcony (can vary within category), etc., etc.

Once that narrows it down, all things being equal I would eliminate rooms with pullmans and/or connecting doors not for any other reason than they tend to have marginally more wear and tear. But if all was left were rooms with connecting door, that's what I would book. The only significant different to me is that it might have a love seat instead of a full couch.

11 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

If it’s on the website, it is what should be followed. Some of you encourage people to call in and omit the fact that they book a guarantee to be able to cheat the system and pick the cabin for a highly reduced rate. TAs, especially,  should not encourage ways to cheat.

I assure you, if the CSR looks, they know what the caller booked.  I know because some CSR’s comment on it even if I do not mention it (I see you booked a suite gty and a junior suite was assigned today.  Was there a specific cabin number you were interested in?).  

Personally if I call to ask to swap cabins I simply ask if I may switch from my current cabin to XXXX (or if that is unavailable XXZZ or ZZZZ).  I generally do not discuss my reason for switching, my original booking method, or my shoe size as they are not particularly relevant.  I make a polite request; they can say say yes or no; I say thanks for their time; done.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

You are too focused on your own interpretation to realize what is really going on (because connecting rooms is understandably part of your search criteria). How do you know that anyone "goes out of their way" to book a connecting room?

After sailing with Royal 60 or more times, this is roughly how I choose a stateroom. I find a price category that I consider to be a value. Within that category, I look at deck plans - what's above and below, how close to elevators, how close to areas of the ship that tend to be noisy, how close to center of gravity, size and shape of the balcony (can vary within category), etc., etc.

Once that narrows it down, all things being equal I would eliminate rooms with pullmans and/or connecting doors not for any other reason than they tend to have marginally more wear and tear. But if all was left were rooms with connecting door, that's what I would book. The only significant different to me is that it might have a love seat instead of a full couch.

Not really. 

I think we're on the same page.

I personally have never booked a connecting room before.   

Like you, I choose my cabin based on preferences.   Starboard side,  close to aft elevators, available to my group size, and no connecting door or under something noisy.

The point I was making was that on this particular sailing, when I looked at the cabin availability, of the connecting staterooms it was humorous.

Look at the map I attached.

1841681645_Screenshot2023-01-259_39_36AM.png.5aec96aada16c5e8acec2baaa9b81d99.png

Room 3570 BOOKED  

3568 EMPTY

3572 EMPTY

3566 EMPTY

In this situation there are two of the exact same rooms, directly next door, but they chose the one with the connecting cabin. 

There are others sets of connecting cabins on this one deck, I found this exact same scenario on the other side of the ship with 3070, and same one deck up.

People are  choosing the one with the connecting door, when there is an identical cabin right next to it.   No difference in size or people requirements.   Just chose the one with the connecting  because....  

???

I don't think anyone is being intentional to screw people out of booking connecting cabins.   I just found it funny on this one time I wanted a connecting cabin that this was the scenario, repeatedly, on this specific ship. 

Hope that's helpful in explaining my point.

13 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Fred, I'm sorry I upset you so.

I know you weren't responding to me directly, since I'm the original poster I wanted to address your remarks.

I don't consider myself to be dishonest in any way shape or form. I'm actually quite the opposite, work in a profession that's steeped in truth, spend a significant portion of my personal and spiritual life encouraging people to just be good humans.

The "hack"  I was referring to wasn't related to changing cabins.   The hack shared on cruise critic, lets you find out which cabin you're assigned to, before Royal sends you the email.  That's all it does.   Yes I was asking further, at which point in time it was safe to request a cabin change.  That's something I've always understood Royal to allow.

Most of us know if you call Royal Caribbean and speak to someone you'll get answer A and call back and you get answer B.

That being said I spent the last 45 mins or so looking into your comments, and this is what I've learned and can share.

1)  First I reached out to my TA.  She exclusively handles cruises for her company, she's in her 70's and has a long and storied relationship selling with Royal since her 20's.   She can reach their VP of sales by text, as they are longtime friends.   She insists anyone booked in a GTY cabin to switch to a different cabin in the same category that is open simply by asking, it's not maneuvering the system in any way according to her.

2) Second, I am friends with a senior executive with the cruise line. He and I worked together in another industry before he moved to Royal several years ago.  I'm copying this directly from his email.

It's not directly my area but my understanding is the computer assigns you, automatically, some of the least desirable cabins, when you book a guarantee.  It leaves the more desirable ones open for sale. We have a "run date" which varies ship to ship, when we determine, sales have peaked for that ship. Sometimes we move people around for operational reasons, but usually you're just notified of what the computer chose for you. We still sell guarantees after the run date sometimes and so you can get really nice rooms immediately assigned then.  I'll double check but my understanding is  if you want to switch to something else that's open, that's fine, we welcome it.  It just has to be in the same category and past the run date

3) Lastly, I took your advice and called and asked.  Just for fun.  First agent said, I would be assigned a cabin automatically and if i'm not happy with it and there is another one available in the same category we can look at possibly changing it for you, I would have to look at your specific reservation.     Second one said more simply, yes, you can change GTY bookings after they're assigned, that's not a problem.

So, that's what I know, and is my understanding.

I wasn't trying to be dishonest or cheat anyone, just wanted to know when I could change cabins to something I prefer,  as allowed, based on what I've been told by people I trust.

Hopefully that's helpful in seeing where my head was as I asked my question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

I don't think anyone is being intentional to screw people out of booking connecting cabins. 

OK, good that you clarified that. I was concerned that you were thinking people who don't need connecting cabins should avoid taking one, which extends to people who don't have mobility issues should stay away from the elevators, and people that sleep soundly need to book exclusively underneath the Windjammer, or those that aren't prone to motion sickness must book as far aft or forward as possible, etc.

I don't think there's any evidence beyond speculation that anyone intentionally booked a connecting cabin when they didn't need one (my money would be on those being result of a GTY fare), but even if they did .. I don't know .. maybe they want more metal surface to stick their magnetic doodads to.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

…I'm copying this directly from his email.

It's not directly my area but my understanding is the computer assigns you, automatically, some of the least desirable cabins, when you book a guarantee.  It leaves the more desirable ones open for sale. We have a "run date" which varies ship to ship, when we determine, sales have peaked for that ship. Sometimes we move people around for operational reasons, but usually you're just notified of what the computer chose for you. We still sell guarantees after the run date sometimes and so you can get really nice rooms immediately assigned then.  I'll double check but my understanding is  if you want to switch to something else that's open, that's fine, we welcome it.  It just has to be in the same category and past the run date

3) Lastly, I took your advice and called and asked.  Just for fun.  First agent said, I would be assigned a cabin automatically and if i'm not happy with it and there is another one available in the same category we can look at possibly changing it for you, I would have to look at your specific reservation.     Second one said more simply, yes, you can change GTY bookings after they're assigned, that's not a problem.

So, that's what I know, and is my understanding.

I wasn't trying to be dishonest or cheat anyone, just wanted to know when I could change cabins to something I prefer,  as allowed, based on what I've been told by people I trust.

Hopefully that's helpful in seeing where my head was as I asked my question.

Thanks for posting this.  When your executive friend said “least desirable” cabins I wonder if he meant lower category or poorly selling category on that sailing.  

Over the years within a given specific category I have not noticed that the computer has assigned the least desirable cabins (many noisy locations when quiet ones were available, for example).  The computer seems to treat all cabins in a category equally (which is logical, else why are they lumped together).  I may ask to switch sometimes, but those are generally mere personal preferences.  The cabin a leave may be snatched up by another cruiser with different priorities.

Edited by Starry Eyes

23 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

OK, good that you clarified that. I was concerned that you were thinking people who don't need connecting cabins should avoid taking one, which extends to people who don't have mobility issues should stay away from the elevators, and people that sleep soundly need to book exclusively underneath the Windjammer, or those that aren't prone to motion sickness must book as far aft or forward as possible, etc.

I don't think there's any evidence beyond speculation that anyone intentionally booked a connecting cabin when they didn't need one (my money would be on those being result of a GTY fare), but even if they did .. I don't know .. maybe they want more metal surface to stick their magnetic doodads to.

As I've said a few times now, it was a passing comment at the end of my question, and man oh man it's taken on a whole thread. 

Love when that happens. haha

All I was trying to say was, "hey people in 3570, you picked a connecting cabin, and now other people who could have used those two connecting cabins can't" The exact same cabin, 3572, is directly one door down, why not pick that one and leave 3570 open for the ones who need it" 

and i added later, the point that it wasn't intentional, just human nature for some not to think that way,

just a comment, joke, mild frustration.   I'm not all shaken up about it.

but i was precisely saying " if you don't need a connecting cabin, and the exact same cabin is one door down, i wish you'd just take the next cabin"  

my opinion... but not losing sleep over it or want to argue how it extends to elevators and all that. 

just why take 3570 when you could take 3572 and do someone else a solid.   That's all. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Thanks for posting this.  When your executive friend said “least desirable” cabins I wonder if he meant lower category or poorly selling category on that sailing.  

Over the years within a given specific category I have not noticed that the computer has assigned the least desirable cabins (many noisy locations when quiet ones were available, for example).  The computer seems to treat all cabins in a category equally (which is logical, else why are they lumped together).  I may ask to switch sometimes, but those are generally mere personal preferences.  The cabin a leave may be snatched up by another cruiser with different priorities.

no idea just offering more info.