What can I do with this GTY cabin hack?

RCCL Fan

I booked my first ever GTY reservation and my first ever non balcony/suite stateroom.

Our usual junior suite was $2044 per person, the GTY oceanview was $399 per person.

That price difference was insanely huge enough that I said, bye bye balcony.

So I got us 2 oceanview cabins instead of our usual all of us in one junior suite.

I have seen the hack on here where after check-in you save you set sail pass to your apple wallet and the last digits of the code at the bottom are your cabin numbers. 

Well, I just checked in

If the hack is correct I am excited to see Royal assigned us two cabins directly next to each other, so that's really awesome. 

But....

There are other sets of two cabins together in other areas of the ship that I would prefer location and deck wise.

I've read on the boards over the years that Royal will let you switch cabins is you don't like your GTY assignment. 

But a question...

Do I have to wait until they actually send me an email officially assigning the rooms to me?  Or can I call my TA and ask her to try to move me now?

Also, since Royal now charges $20 - 50 more for a higher deck or mid-ship vs. forward, would I be able to move our cabins from a lower to a higher deck or forward to  midship, if I  stay in the same category?  

I know, I know, I paid $399 a person, just be glad they're letting me on the ship, right?

But had to ask!

and lastly.... just for fun... why do people book connecting rooms, and just book one of them? 

Why would you go out of your way to choose a cabin with a door to the next room, and not know the people on the other said of said door?? hahaha 

Every connecting room on the ship has one cabin occupied and the other empty. hahaha     

We don't really care, but it's amusing to me.

OK  -- that's enough ---  haha     Thanks as always.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I booked my first ever GTY reservation and my first ever non balcony/suite stateroom.

Our usual junior suite was $2044 per person, the GTY oceanview was $399 per person.

That price difference was insanely huge enough that I said, bye bye balcony.

So I got us 2 oceanview cabins instead of our usual all of us in one junior suite.

I have seen the hack on here where after check-in you save you set sail pass to your apple wallet and the last digits of the code at the bottom are your cabin numbers. 

Well, I just checked in

If the hack is correct I am excited to see Royal assigned us two cabins directly next to each other, so that's really awesome. 

But....

There are other sets of two cabins together in other areas of the ship that I would prefer location and deck wise.

I've read on the boards over the years that Royal will let you switch cabins is you don't like your GTY assignment. 

But a question...

Do I have to wait until they actually send me an email officially assigning the rooms to me?  Or can I call my TA and ask her to try to move me now?

Also, since Royal now charges $20 - 50 more for a higher deck or mid-ship vs. forward, would I be able to move our cabins from a lower to a higher deck or forward to  midship, if I  stay in the same category?  

I know, I know, I paid $399 a person, just be glad they're letting me on the ship, right?

But had to ask!

and lastly.... just for fun... why do people book connecting rooms, and just book one of them? 

Why would you go out of your way to choose a cabin with a door to the next room, and not know the people on the other said of said door?? hahaha 

Every connecting room on the ship has one cabin occupied and the other empty. hahaha     

We don't really care, but it's amusing to me.

OK  -- that's enough ---  haha     Thanks as always.

Until the staterooms appear in your app they cannot be moved.  Even though you can see them using the hack they aren't tied yet to the section of your invoice that allows the customer service reps to make changes to the staterooms.  Until they are officially assigned all the reps see is guarantee. 

• Thanks 2

You were lucky to have the assignment close together. Rare indeed. 

You can change cabins if the new cabins are THE SAME CATEGORY.  Otherwise, no. Of course you can pay the current rate for any cabin. 

We will  often book a guarantee cabin on smaller ships (location is more important to us on Oasis class) and for the past few cruises (serenade and Jewel ) we were assigned connecting cabins. Each time we had folks next store but never heard them. I guess connecting cabins were left. 

Edited by cruisegirl1

We booked a gty balcony on Radiance and LUCKED OUT with a forward 7 connecting.  I think we heard the other people once in 7 days, and now have learned that those extra large balconies for the same price are AMAZING 🙂 booked a better one specifically next cruise 🙂

good luck with calling as soon as soon as it is officially assigned!

I can't help with the  question about changing your room, but I have booked a connecting w/o knowing who was on the other side.  The first time was on Anthem, it was my first cruise and the TA we used in our rinky dink town put us in an interior gty and that is what we ended up with.  We were completely unaware of the people next door - we're quiet, they were quiet.  The 2nd time I chose the room knowing it was a connecting, but it was in the best location for me and again, I was completely unaware there was anyone there.  

48 minutes ago, PamelaHunt said:

I can't help with the  question about changing your room, but I have booked a connecting w/o knowing who was on the other side.  The first time was on Anthem, it was my first cruise and the TA we used in our rinky dink town put us in an interior gty and that is what we ended up with.  We were completely unaware of the people next door - we're quiet, they were quiet.  The 2nd time I chose the room knowing it was a connecting, but it was in the best location for me and again, I was completely unaware there was anyone there.  

i tend  to be a "for the greater good" type, so when I see a connecting cabin, even if i like the location I usually leave it alone, thinking "let a family who needs two cabins together have that"

But I get it, and understand.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

i tend  to be a "for the greater good" type, so when I see a connecting cabin, even if i like the location I usually leave it alone, thinking "let a family who needs two cabins together have that"

But I get it, and understand.

The cabin that was connected to it was already booked.  I took the last one that was located in that area.  

Just now, PamelaHunt said:

The cabin that was connected to it was already booked.  I took the last one that was located in that area.  

gotcha, no I meant the folks who see two empty connecting cabins, and book one of them, often with an empty single right next to it.

I just don't get it  lol

but that was just my funny comment at the end, wasn't really looking for explanations.

1 minute ago, RCCL Fan said:

gotcha, no I meant the folks who see two empty connecting cabins, and book one of them, often with an empty single right next to it.

I just don't get it  lol

but that was just my funny comment at the end, wasn't really looking for explanations.

I thought you were lumping me in with the "me me me" people, which I am not.  

My first cruise, many many years ago, a TA booked it.  I had no idea what the rooms were, or where they were.  But now, of course, you can do it yourself, and see the map etc.  But I think many people do not know or care to know, and a stranger (TA) takes care of it.  

A couple of years ago, a couple had no idea what excursion they had, or what was included in it, their TA booked it all for them, and just gave them the schedule.  Listening to them was funny. 

It's so funny that last part everyone is commenting on.

I seriously was joking.

I mean yes,  I do think it's silly to book a connecting cabin when you don't need one, and there are other options right next to it.

But I'm not naive enough to realize that someone people just don't care to free those up for others, or don't think about it, or don't know what they are doing.

I realize that.   

Hence why I considered it funny.

I just went back and counted and more than half of the connecting cabins on this ship have one room occupied, one not, and another empty cabin RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

It makes me roll my eyes and laugh, but I get it, it's just human nature.

Not calling anyone out, just venting, and calling myself making a funny.

• Like 1

I’ve been assigned connecting cabins from gty booking; sometimes all cabins in the category are connecting.  
On some ships one of the connecting cabins allows triple or quad occupancy while the other allows double occupancy.  People will book the connecting cabin to get the occupancy they need if that’s what is available.  Some select a connecting cabin in a better location over a non connecting cabin in a lesser location.  Sometimes pricing patterns make a connecting category less expensive than other cabins (though often it is the other way).

I’m glad you got adjacent cabins assignment per the hack.  You have to wait until both assignments are official to move both cabins.  On my last cruise, better locations were available while I could see my future location via hack, but by the time my cabin was officially assigned the cruise was sold out, so I could not move.  No matter, someone canceled and I won a RoyalUp 

I had always thought Royal should block booking on connecting staterooms unless you are taking both (until some pre determined time, then open them up). We booked lots of connecting cabins when the kids were younger, and it was always frustrating to not be able to find a pair.

I have noticed lately that Royal has attached a premium price to connecting rooms on many ships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most of the time you need to have the correct number of folks in a room for the connecting room to show up as bookable.  For instance a connecting room that holds 3 or 4 persons won't show up if you are searching for two connecting cabin for 2 persons each.

When the ship gets full enough sometimes the restrictions get lifted and you can book a 2 person in a 4 person room for instance.

You probably knew all that, but as a family of 5, that has always booked connecting cabins (2 in one, 3 in the other) it gets tricky finding those room combinations. (and getting them to show up on the website as bookable)

I do agree that I wouldn't book a connecting room if I could help it if it's just my wife and I sailing.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I had always thought Royal should block booking on connecting staterooms unless you are taking both (until some pre determined time, then open them up). We booked lots of connecting cabins when the kids were younger, and it was always frustrating to not be able to find a pair.

I have noticed lately that Royal has attached a premium price to connecting rooms on many ships.

Oh that would be so nice.  I agree.  We've always had the three kids connecting and yes it can be a real search at times to find rooms that work.  We love having that open doorway.   Makes the space feel so much larger and being able to share two full bathrooms is probably the biggest plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

yeah i do feel those rooms should be blocked off for people actually booking two cabins and traveling together, not just because someone thinks it "looks like a good one"  lol

but again   that's life.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You should really stop posting info that while listed on their website that does not apply.  Just accept the fact that there is lots of incorrect information posted on their website.

So the terms and conditions  does not matter or apply  to some bookings  with royal caribbean  according  to  people  who post on cruise critic

Just now, sowhat said:

So the terms and conditions  does not matter or apply  to some bookings  with royal caribbean  according  to  people  who post on cruise critic

Now you got it.

As I said, the website is littered with old outdated or incorrect information.  That is a great reason why CC exists is so that others can share what actually occurs in real life.

I can personally attest to the fact that cabins can be changed as I have changed 4 cabins for clients in this past week.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Now you got it.

As I said, the website is littered with old outdated or incorrect information.  That is a great reason why CC exists is so that others can share what actually occurs in real life.

I can personally attest to the fact that cabins can be changed as I have changed 4 cabins for clients in this past week.

I have emailed Royal Caribbean to find out which of the terms and conditions are correct and which ones to ignore as  I have been informed they are incorrect

1 minute ago, sowhat said:

I have emailed Royal Caribbean to find out which of the terms and conditions are correct and which ones to ignore as  I have been informed they are incorrect

The reply, if you ever get one, may or may not be correct.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4