What can I do with this GTY cabin hack?

RCCL Fan

On 1/24/2023 at 1:01 AM, RCCL Fan said:

I booked my first ever GTY reservation and my first ever non balcony/suite stateroom.

Our usual junior suite was $2044 per person, the GTY oceanview was $399 per person.

That price difference was insanely huge enough that I said, bye bye balcony.

So I got us 2 oceanview cabins instead of our usual all of us in one junior suite.

I have seen the hack on here where after check-in you save you set sail pass to your apple wallet and the last digits of the code at the bottom are your cabin numbers. 

Well, I just checked in

If the hack is correct I am excited to see Royal assigned us two cabins directly next to each other, so that's really awesome. 

But....

There are other sets of two cabins together in other areas of the ship that I would prefer location and deck wise.

I've read on the boards over the years that Royal will let you switch cabins is you don't like your GTY assignment. 

But a question...

Do I have to wait until they actually send me an email officially assigning the rooms to me?  Or can I call my TA and ask her to try to move me now?

Also, since Royal now charges $20 - 50 more for a higher deck or mid-ship vs. forward, would I be able to move our cabins from a lower to a higher deck or forward to  midship, if I  stay in the same category?  

I know, I know, I paid $399 a person, just be glad they're letting me on the ship, right?

But had to ask!

and lastly.... just for fun... why do people book connecting rooms, and just book one of them? 

Why would you go out of your way to choose a cabin with a door to the next room, and not know the people on the other said of said door?? hahaha 

Every connecting room on the ship has one cabin occupied and the other empty. hahaha     

We don't really care, but it's amusing to me.

OK  -- that's enough ---  haha     Thanks as always.

Because it was the only one available on the hump for B2B cruises. 

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I assure you, if the CSR looks, they know what the caller booked.  I know because some CSR’s comment on it even if I do not mention it (I see you booked a suite gty and a junior suite was assigned today.  Was there a specific cabin number you were interested in?).  

Personally if I call to ask to swap cabins I simply ask if I may switch from my current cabin to XXXX (or if that is unavailable XXZZ or ZZZZ).  I generally do not discuss my reason for switching, my original booking method, or my shoe size as they are not particularly relevant.  I make a polite request; they can say say yes or no; I say thanks for their time; done.  

But, what I am trying to say is that having booked a guarantee rate IS relevant cause now you are picking your cabin, which cost others more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

But, what I am trying to say is that having booked a guarantee rate IS relevant cause now you are picking your cabin, which cost others more.

Irrelevant as long as Royal allows it.  They can make whatever rules they want.  They can also choose whether to enforce them or not.  

Book a guaranteed cabin.

Wait an indeterminate amount of time for a cabin to be assigned (days? weeks? months? day before boarding?)

Get an assigned cabin.

Royal allows you to change cabins if another in the same category is available.

Seems fairly simple.  You can pay more up front (pick a cabin) or pay less up front and take the chance that a cabin you like may or may not be available when one is assigned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

Fred, I'm sorry I upset you so.

I know you weren't responding to me directly, since I'm the original poster I wanted to address your remarks.

I don't consider myself to be dishonest in any way shape or form. I'm actually quite the opposite, work in a profession that's steeped in truth, spend a significant portion of my personal and spiritual life encouraging people to just be good humans.

The "hack"  I was referring to wasn't related to changing cabins.   The hack shared on cruise critic, lets you find out which cabin you're assigned to, before Royal sends you the email.  That's all it does.   Yes I was asking further, at which point in time it was safe to request a cabin change.  That's something I've always understood Royal to allow.

Most of us know if you call Royal Caribbean and speak to someone you'll get answer A and call back and you get answer B.

That being said I spent the last 45 mins or so looking into your comments, and this is what I've learned and can share.

1)  First I reached out to my TA.  She exclusively handles cruises for her company, she's in her 70's and has a long and storied relationship selling with Royal since her 20's.   She can reach their VP of sales by text, as they are longtime friends.   She insists anyone booked in a GTY cabin to switch to a different cabin in the same category that is open simply by asking, it's not maneuvering the system in any way according to her.

2) Second, I am friends with a senior executive with the cruise line. He and I worked together in another industry before he moved to Royal several years ago.  I'm copying this directly from his email.

It's not directly my area but my understanding is the computer assigns you, automatically, some of the least desirable cabins, when you book a guarantee.  It leaves the more desirable ones open for sale. We have a "run date" which varies ship to ship, when we determine, sales have peaked for that ship. Sometimes we move people around for operational reasons, but usually you're just notified of what the computer chose for you. We still sell guarantees after the run date sometimes and so you can get really nice rooms immediately assigned then.  I'll double check but my understanding is  if you want to switch to something else that's open, that's fine, we welcome it.  It just has to be in the same category and past the run date

3) Lastly, I took your advice and called and asked.  Just for fun.  First agent said, I would be assigned a cabin automatically and if i'm not happy with it and there is another one available in the same category we can look at possibly changing it for you, I would have to look at your specific reservation.     Second one said more simply, yes, you can change GTY bookings after they're assigned, that's not a problem.

So, that's what I know, and is my understanding.

I wasn't trying to be dishonest or cheat anyone, just wanted to know when I could change cabins to something I prefer,  as allowed, based on what I've been told by people I trust.

Hopefully that's helpful in seeing where my head was as I asked my question.

Thanks for the lenghty response, RCCL. To be honest my complaining is self serving. Like so many things that were possible in the past, this too will someday be banned by Royal ALL because so many do it after being encouraged by bragging posters on CC. I understand you came here for advice and none of my comments were directed to you. Others who love discussing and bragging about their "hacks" are simply making sure that at some point this choice will not be available. I have seen it happen many times with Royal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

That’s not necessarily true; you are assuming what people paid.  Take my example mentioned in my call yo the CSR above.  My husband and I decided to slip in an additional cruise on Jewel rather later when availablity was limited, but we wanted to go.  We understood others who booked early had gotten better prices and gotten to select their cabins.  We did not resent that. We initially took an OV cabin, then a decent price was posted for a suite gty….not a great price, probably higher than the early birds paid for JS’s, but decent, so we upgraded.  Two JS’s were left.  One unobstructed and one partially obstructed. We were assigned the unobstructed one.  I called and asked to switch to the obstructed one at the rear corner, far from the elevator…the one it would be harder for Royal to sell to many people  (I knew it had a bigger balcony and DH would like the shady alcove).    

We paid more than many and probably less than some. We’d have stayed put without complaint if they declined to let me switch or if all JS’s were assigned.  As it happened switched to a cabin others had rejected but we happened to like.

Royal changes their pricing all the time.  Some people lock in lower prices, some people higher ones for similar cabins.  Some people catch a price drop; it is gone when another person calls.  

Sometimes RCI prices the gty the same or higher than picking your cabin at the same moment.  Over time it certainly can be much higher or it may be lower.

20 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Thanks for the lenghty response, RCCL. To be honest my complaining is self serving. Like so many things that were possible in the past, this too will someday be banned by Royal ALL because so many do it after being encouraged by bragging posters on CC. I understand you came here for advice and none of my comments were directed to you. Others who love discussing and bragging about their "hacks" are simply making sure that at some point this choice will not be available. I have seen it happen many times with Royal.

It has been discussed on this  boards for at least a decade, and it continues.  That suggests Royal is inclined to act.  

A cranky old guy screaming “get off my lawn” whenever the kids are happy seems unlikely to motivate a company to act…. since it is not even his lawn and he personally doesn’t benefit if the kids can’t play.

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

It has been discussed on this  boards for at least a decade, and it continues.  That suggests Royal is inclined to act.  

A cranky old guy screaming “get off my lawn” whenever the kids are happy seems unlikely to motivate a company to act…. since it is not even his lawn and he personally doesn’t benefit if the kids can’t play.

I guess you told me, falling star.

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’m still upright, Freddie.

My name is not Fred, fyi, just as yours is not Starry, I assume. I see your posts and must admit that my impression is fairness. I've been around more than 10 years and I don't remember all the posts telling folks how to beat the system buying a guarantee then picking their cabin. But, I was wrong once before so anything is possible. Personally, I don't get the "old man screaming get off my lawn" line. I imagine you have seen others post that, just like the popcorn pix and such. I cruise quietly and mind my own business there -- even if someone shows up in the Windjammer in their bath robes. I hope you are upright for many years to come and appreciate your comments.

43 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

My name is not Fred, fyi, just as yours is not Starry, I assume. I see your posts and must admit that my impression is fairness. I've been around more than 10 years and I don't remember all the posts telling folks how to beat the system buying a guarantee then picking their cabin. But, I was wrong once before so anything is possible. Personally, I don't get the "old man screaming get off my lawn" line. I imagine you have seen others post that, just like the popcorn pix and such. I cruise quietly and mind my own business there -- even if someone shows up in the Windjammer in their bath robes. I hope you are upright for many years to come and appreciate your comments.

I learned about swapping gty cabins here on CC at least a decade ago.  The info might have been posted before that.  You have created controversy on multiple threads and seemly in hopes the option will disappear to the detriment your fellow CC members.  Most of us are trying to make cruises nicer for our fellow cruisers.  I really do not see the point.  Royal considers the cabins in a category interchangeable.  If at any point Royal wanted to change a gty cabin assignment, they have the right to do so.

I intentionally choose a silly screen name and realized it will cause others to call me Starry or some variation.  I’m fine with it or I’d simply change my screen name or sign my posts with my real name or a nickname.  

Your screen name is even longer than mine.  Surely you are not surprised when people shorten it, too. 

Edited by Starry Eyes

24 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I learned about swapping gty cabins here on CC at least a decade ago.  The info might have been posted before that.  You have created controversy on multiple threads and seemly in hopes the option will disappear to the detriment your fellow CC members.  Most of us are trying to make cruises nicer for our fellow cruisers.  I really do not see the point.  Royal considers the cabins in a category interchangeable.  If at any point Royal wanted to change a gty cabin assignment, they have the right to do so.

I intentionally choose a silly screen name and realized it will cause others to call me Starry or some variation.  I’m fine with it or I’d simply change my screen name or sign my posts with my real name or a nickname.  

Your screen name is even longer than mine.  Surely you are not surprised when people shorten it, too. 

No, but I didn't pick the name. Back when I signed up CC assigned a name based on your town, state and just adding cruisers after those abbreviations. Some have said it is possible to call in to get it changed. Seems like a lot of trouble. I did change my icon or whatever you call that little pix to a cry baby, hoping you would find that more appropriate.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Picking your cabin a month before sailing is entirely different than picking your cabin when you first book, at which time it may have cost a lot more.  The inventory right before sailing is going to be a lot lower than when most people first book their guarantee cabin.

Today was check-in day for my Sprint Break Bahamas cruise in Serenade. We had a balcony gty and it’s showing we have been out into an accessible D2 balcony on the 7th deck.

The deck plans make the room and balcony looks bigger. How much bigger are they? How modified are accessible rooms? Why would they assign us an accessible room?

15 minutes ago, wreckem2013 said:

Today was check-in day for my Sprint Break Bahamas cruise in Serenade. We had a balcony gty and it’s showing we have been out into an accessible D2 balcony on the 7th deck.

The deck plans make the room and balcony looks bigger. How much bigger are they? How modified are accessible rooms? Why would they assign us an accessible room?

Assigned because it was available. But be happy. Larger balcony, huge bathroom, spacious cabin with a sofa and a chair plus plenty of closet space. We had one on the Explorer a couple weeks ago and friends thought it was a suite. They are normally hard to get and book early. I might have some photos of ours.

Just now, fredmdcruisers said:

Assigned because it was available. But be happy. Larger balcony, huge bathroom, spacious cabin with a sofa and a chair plus plenty of closet space. We had one on the Explorer a couple weeks ago and friends thought it was a suite. They are normally hard to get and book early. I might have some photos of ours.

Yeah they are sold out of 2Ds but have plenty of spacious ocean view balconies.

Should I cancel my spacious ocean view balcony bid? I also have bids in for a jr suite and grand suite.

10 minutes ago, wreckem2013 said:

Yeah they are sold out of 2Ds but have plenty of spacious ocean view balconies.

Should I cancel my spacious ocean view balcony bid? I also have bids in for a jr suite and grand suite.

I did. Besides the larger balcony, the medical frig is wonderful. Very cold beer, water and soft drinks. My wife loved the shower seat for shaving legs.

20230107_104800.jpg

20230107_104701.jpg

20230107_104652.jpg

20230107_104612.jpg

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like it’s going to be our room. Dropped the bid for a spacious oceanview balcony. Left bids for jr and grande suites but the only suite still available is the owner suite. So I’ll probably go 1 for 5 with RoyalUp, only time I’ve won was when I had a gty on Odyssey found out we were assigned an obstructed view balcony. I’d be okay with this room on Serenade.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:49 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

Then why do those who push this way of cheating always say: don't mention that you booked a guarantee cabin?

Once a guarantee is assigned to a category, changing to another cabin in the same category that is available is not cheating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Once a guarantee is assigned to a category, changing to another cabin in the same category that is available is not cheating. 

Once booked a gty cabin and allocated  cabin in a poor position,  asked if it was possible  to  change cabins in the same category  and informed  no because  of  picking the cabin position  to not a gty cabin allocated  by the  company 
However  the cost of a  numbered cabin was slightly  less than what   paid  for a gty at the time, so  had a refund  and picked the cabin.
All good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spurschick said:

This has been our experience as well, the kicker is, “as long as there is another cabin in the same category” . Often, everything was assigned, and there was nothing to change to.

Agreed, It is not cheating the system, it is allowed with  US bookings. 
m

One big assumption in this thread is that you are "stealing someone else's GTY cabin that was in a better position".   How would you know that?  How do you know that someone else wouldn't rather have had the cabin you were assigned with the original GTY.  People choose locations on ships for ALL SORTS of reasons.  Close to elevators.  Mid lower ship for less motion.  In the back to be closer to dining venues.  Up top to be closer to pool deck.  In the front so you have less vibration from the engines.   etc...  stop saying that you are stealing someone else's prime location.  People choose spots all over the ship for various reasons.

• Like 1