Ordering off menu/secret menus/menu hacks

Carolinabanker

Since you're sailing in the Haven you'll be able to order more off-menu than most folks onboard. We don't really get carried away with hacks or off-menu ordering, but have a few standbys. 

Be sure to request any off-menu item, special request at least the day before to give the kitchen time to create your delicious meal.

There are two exceptions to the above is if you're asking for "extra." Like @kismet618, my husband always orders extra chicken, extra shrimp, extra cheese,  or extra croutons on his salads and pasta dishes. One other exception is if you sub a shrimp cocktail for the Shrimp Louie. He always orders a # piece shrimp cocktail. They only provide three in the standard off-menu shrimp cocktail. That's for little folks, not big guys like us. He has ordered up to a 13 piece shrimp cocktail with no issues. 

I order two crab cakes the day before (usually at lunch) for my following morning's eggs benedict. The crab cakes replace the tiny slab of ham and is delicious! 

My husband will ask for a filet on his steak and eggs, instead of the normal NY Strip. 

I have two requests I'm looking forward to making on Joy in March:

1. I'm going to order a crab cake, a day ahead, to top my burger at lunch with. I think this will be absolutely amazing with some bacon. Mmmm

2. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to request (please, give me ideas) - I love nachos, but I want nachos where the chips are subbed with the yummy morning hash brown rounds. I'm not sure the meat I want - shrimp, chicken, steak. So, basically I'll ask them for nachos, subbing the hash browns, then adding the meat, cheese, sour cream, guac, salsa, and LOTS of jalapenos. Yum!! 

I'm really interested to read other off-menu items, special requests that folks have ordered! 

• Like 2

Hmm, @cruiseny4life has gotten me thinking about something: I have found the nacho cheese sauce they serve at O'Sheehan's (which I believe is identical to the sauce that comes with the pretzel bites) to be quite bland. Of course, taste is very subjective, as we know. But I wonder if I could special order some melted cheddar and/or Monterrey Jack and maybe some pickled jalapenos instead. 🧀🌶️ I know my wife has ordered what she calls "pasta a la Carole" which is angel hair pasta covered with marinara sauce and baked in the oven with a mountain of melted mozzarella. We did that at La Cucina with no problems whatsoever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carolinabanker said:

I was interested since it came up in another thread about ordering off menu/menu hacks and secret menus. We are traveling on the Escape in April and the Bliss in August, both times in the Haven. Any advice is appreciated especially for Haven, but MDR too.

Once you eat in the Haven restaurant you won't go any place else

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Since you're sailing in the Haven you'll be able to order more off-menu than most folks onboard. We don't really get carried away with hacks or off-menu ordering, but have a few standbys. 

Be sure to request any off-menu item, special request at least the day before to give the kitchen time to create your delicious meal.

There are two exceptions to the above is if you're asking for "extra." Like @kismet618, my husband always orders extra chicken, extra shrimp, extra cheese,  or extra croutons on his salads and pasta dishes. One other exception is if you sub a shrimp cocktail for the Shrimp Louie. He always orders a # piece shrimp cocktail. They only provide three in the standard off-menu shrimp cocktail. That's for little folks, not big guys like us. He has ordered up to a 13 piece shrimp cocktail with no issues. 

I order two crab cakes the day before (usually at lunch) for my following morning's eggs benedict. The crab cakes replace the tiny slab of ham and is delicious! 

My husband will ask for a filet on his steak and eggs, instead of the normal NY Strip. 

1. I'm going to order a crab cake, a day ahead, to top my burger at lunch with. I think this will be absolutely amazing with some bacon. Mmmm

2. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to request (please, give me ideas) - I love nachos, but I want nachos where the chips are subbed with the yummy morning hash brown rounds. I'm not sure the meat I want - shrimp, chicken, steak. So, basically I'll ask them for nachos, subbing the hash browns, then adding the meat, cheese, sour cream, guac, salsa, and LOTS of jalapenos. Yum!! 

I'm really interested to read other off-menu items, special requests that folks have ordered! 

You know what might be tasty?  They have shrimp toast for breakfast - I wonder how the shrimp patty would be on a burger?  But I LOVE the crab cake idea!!!

It never occurred to me to specify the # of shrimp for shrimp cocktail. . . I will share this with DH, because he would totally do it.

• Like 1

So it wasn't a hack per se, but one our last trip I watched another passenger eat noodles from Food Republic in the Haven Restaurant - I think if you ask nicely enough and pre-order, you could probably get anything from anywhere.

Numerous people have mentioned the ability to add any number of lobster tails to meals in the Haven. 

I don't have any great stories with NCL in this regard, but on a Royal sailing once, I got in a conversation with our MDR waiter (who was from India) about different types of Indian cuisine and how much I enjoyed them and was learning to cook them myself. From then on, every day she would bring me my requested menu items along with a small dish of rice & curry apparently from the crew galley (which I did not ask for, but was very nice of her!). And I have to say - it was often better than the regular MDR food - unlike most cruise ship food, the Indian food actually had flavor and spice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

But I wonder if I could special order some melted cheddar and/or Monterrey Jack and maybe some pickled jalapenos instead. 🧀🌶️ I know my wife has ordered what she calls "pasta a la Carole" which is angel hair pasta covered with marinara sauce and baked in the oven with a mountain of melted mozzarella. We did that at La Cucina with no problems whatsoever.

This all sounds delish!!! Especially a "mountain of melted mozzarella." 

1 hour ago, detroitlions said:

I think you may have a hard time with hacks except maybe a few will be allowed in the Haven. 

My last cruise end of December the waiters refused to go off menu or change anything and no extra apps or food either in the special restaurants. 

This scares me about my upcoming cruise!! Thank you for the report. It's helpful to have first hand accounts of what is happening. What ship did you sail?

1 hour ago, CruzinMel said:

You know what might be tasty?  They have shrimp toast for breakfast - I wonder how the shrimp patty would be on a burger?  But I LOVE the crab cake idea!!!

It never occurred to me to specify the # of shrimp for shrimp cocktail. . . I will share this with DH, because he would totally do it.

It's so embarrassing when he orders 13 shrimp! I just kind of hang my head...but it's what he wants! So Haven delivers. That shrimp patty/spread thing is yummy!

1 hour ago, CruzinMel said:

So it wasn't a hack per se, but one our last trip I watched another passenger eat noodles from Food Republic in the Haven Restaurant - I think if you ask nicely enough and pre-order, you could probably get anything from anywhere.

Oh my. Don't start this one up again! Haha...I do know I heard the maitre d in the Haven Restaurant tell someone they would not be allowed to have a specialty restaurant meal in the restaurant, but suggested it be sent to the stateroom. 

10 minutes ago, chloe173 said:

Numerous people have mentioned the ability to add any number of lobster tails to meals in the Haven.

I've seen people order five lobster tails! They're small, just a little bit larger than shrimp, but that seemed excessive to me. 

10 minutes ago, chloe173 said:

And I have to say - it was often better than the regular MDR food - unlike most cruise ship food, the Indian food actually had flavor and spice!

The Indian food is consistently the only good food on the buffet. Sounds like you had a great server that took excellent care of your taste buds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you like crab cakes have you ever had a crab cake BLT? I live near the coast and a few local restaurants have them on the menu. Super yummy ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chloe173 said:

From then on, every day she would bring me my requested menu items along with a small dish of rice & curry apparently from the crew galley (which I did not ask for, but was very nice of her!). And I have to say - it was often better than the regular MDR food - unlike most cruise ship food, the Indian food actually had flavor and spice!

Have you had the Indian food from the NCL buffet?  Consistently some of the best food on the buffet, IMO.

• Like 5

My only hack is to stash coffee and milk in the fridge so I can pour it over ice the next day for iced coffee. Why is there no iced coffee?! I have a haven cruise coming up and dying to know if I can request a standing morning order of iced coffee either in the room or to the haven restaurant. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

My only hack is to stash coffee and milk in the fridge so I can pour it over ice the next day for iced coffee. Why is there no iced coffee?! I have a haven cruise coming up and dying to know if I can request a standing morning order of iced coffee either in the room or to the haven restaurant. 

Ask your butler to pick some up from Starbucks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carolinabanker said:

I was interested since it came up in another thread about ordering off menu/menu hacks and secret menus. We are traveling on the Escape in April and the Bliss in August, both times in the Haven. Any advice is appreciated especially for Haven, but MDR too.

Not really a hack or off-menu, but we request lobster tails (or two or three) to be added to every entrée. So, instead of the surf and turf (small filet), we order the regular rib eye and add lobster(s) to it. Or adding lobster (instead of chicken) to a salad. Some examples are on link below

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Carolinabanker said:

Not really off-menu, but there will be standard room service breakfast check-box cards in your room. Ignore the check boxes and write down whatever you want (from the Haven menu). Give the cards to your butler and they will serve you an elegant breakfast on a white tablecloth in your stateroom the next day. 

Eggs over medium, an omelet with fixings of your choice, egg white omelet, steak, ham, sausage, mushrooms, grilled tomato, breakfast potatoes, hash browns, breads, fruits, juices, and a diet coke. 

image.png.4902c0aa3b03aed670a56cc295cd9d3a.png

image.png.af4129a79fbc01df8b8b027695315f50.png

image.png.aaa187b9cba91fa45adeba6211dfc2fe.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Carolinabanker said:

One final thing... each afternoon, your butler will bring you the "snack of the day". If you have any special requests, please let them know. For example, us big, old kids sometimes would like a PB&J sandwich as a treat in the afternoon in addition to the default snack. 

We also request that our butler leave bowls of gummy bears, M&M (peanut or plain), and bar mix. What doesn't get snacked on, gets put into a ziplock for a shore excursion snack the next day (yeah, taking food off the ship is not allowed...) We also ask for a pitcher of ice water and ice tea to be left in the refrigerator. 

image.png.a60bebcdd74046e36b9478e980dbf3bd.png

image.png.42f6eaf590cf751710a0239ef28e2b93.png

image.png.3af62a1d26623653a3f278dc068fe129.png

image.png.cd5ebfcc1ea66ecd9ea08a4d9d4897bd.png

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Not really off-menu, but there will be standard room service breakfast check-box cards in your room. Ignore the check boxes and write down whatever you want (from the Haven menu). Give the cards to your butler and they will serve you an elegant breakfast on a white tablecloth in your stateroom the next day. 

Eggs over medium, an omelet with fixings of your choice, egg white omelet, steak, ham, sausage, mushrooms, grilled tomato, breakfast potatoes, hash browns, breads, fruits, juices, and a diet coke. 

I feel like for as much as you pay for the haven, this shouldn't be some "hack" you need to figure out or something extra you need to write on a menu (where it's not offered in the first place). Why not advertise it verbally or just put on the haven menu in the first place? I feel like it might help justify the butler, because otherwise I don't think I'd have much use for them...

Those treats and candy you posted above this comment would largely be wasted....like 90% of them ( at least by my group). By the second day I'd ask them to stop bringing them. Maybe I'm not cut out for the haven.

Edited by MSP_CRUISER
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

I feel like for as much as you pay for the haven, this shouldn't be some "hack" you need to figure out or something extra you need to write on a menu (where it's not offered in the first place). 

The challenge is that the galley has provisions for the items on the menu. Not like you can run over to the local seafood market and get some Uni or Ikura. 

So,,, while in the Haven, I have asked for British Bacon (knowing that they serve it on the buffet) and was told that they cold not get it in the Haven.  

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The challenge is that the galley has provisions for the items on the menu. Not like you can run over to the local seafood market and get some Uni or Ikura. 

So,,, while in the Haven, I have asked for British Bacon (knowing that they serve it on the buffet) and was told that they cold not get it in the Haven.  

I don't doubt your right. But I feel like not letting me know my options clearly up front.... would mean I wouldn't get much out of the haven experience, except the obvious offerings, which are nice.  I just don't value M&Ms, gummy bears and cheese plates much at all.

Edited by MSP_CRUISER

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

6 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

Oh my. Don't start this one up again! Haha...I do know I heard the maitre d in the Haven Restaurant tell someone they would not be allowed to have a specialty restaurant meal in the restaurant, but suggested it be sent to the stateroom. 

Well, it WAS the lady who was completing her 34th Escape Haven cruise, so maybe she is more than Special??  But I promise - it was a GIANT bowl of either unsauced ramen or yakisoba.

• Haha 1