Australia-NZ, February 6, 2023 - Best (economical) way to get from Brisbane airport to downtown hotel-pre-cruise?

Is there an economical way to get from the Brisbane Airport to our downtown hotel? I've read that taxis typically charge $50A+ Is Uber cheaper? Is there any airport bus service? We're arriving on Saturday before the cruise sails on Monday

Ā 

Thanks for your reply.Ā 

HiĀ qaldock75

There is a train that runs from the airport into the city, depending where your staying, the best stations in the CBD are Central and Roma St stations.

Central has a large hotel over it.

Ā 

If you let us know where you plan to stay, we may be able to help you further.

Ā 

Regards

Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qaldock75 said:

Is there an economical way to get from the Brisbane Airport to our downtown hotel? I've read that taxis typically charge $50A+ Is Uber cheaper? Is there any airport bus service? We're arriving on Saturday before the cruise sails on Monday

Ā 

Thanks for your reply.Ā 

I would have thought after spending thousands to get to Brisbane a$50 taxi fare that would get you right to the front of what ever hotel you are staying in is not a lot to pay

• Like 3

You don't mention how many passengers, so I will assume two. Normally, because of the high cost of Airtrain, a taxi may be cheaper for two or more travellers, however at the moment Airtrain is offering a special BOOK AIRTRAIN ON LINE AND RETURN FOR FREE deal. Check it out.

https://www.airtrain.com.au/tickets/offers-and-discounts/return-for-free/

• This offer is available for booking between 20 June 2022 ā€“ 31 March 2023.Ā 
  • This offer is available for travel between 20 June 2022 ā€“ 30 September 2023.Ā 
  • This offer is available through Airtrain website only
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

I would have thought after spending thousands to get to Brisbane a$50 taxi fare that would get you right to the front of what ever hotel you are staying in is not a lot to pay

That's about USD35.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Agree,Ā  $50 for the convenience or Taxi/Uber would not even get you a bottle of overpriced plonk on board the ship, lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, qaldock75 said:

Is there an economical way to get from the Brisbane Airport to our downtown hotel?

Ā 

I'm not advising this, only saying that it exists.

Ā 

There is a free shuttle bus from the Domestic and International terminals to the the DFO (a nearby discount shopping centre).

Ā 

From the DFO there is a 590 bus which travels north to the Toombul bus exchange. Don't get on the south bound bus or you will end up in Mt Gravatt, way off to the south.

Ā 

At the Toombul bus exchange catch the 310 bus to the CBD. Alternatively walk across Sandgate Road to Toombul train station and catch a southbound train from there.

Ā 

Travel on Brisbane and Gold Coast ferries, buses and trains requires a Go Card, which can be purchased at the airport.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Ā 

I'm not advising this, only saying that it exists.

Ā 

There is a free shuttle bus from the Domestic and International terminals to the the DFO (a nearby discount shopping centre).

Ā 

From the DFO there is a 590 bus which travels north to the Toombul bus exchange. Don't get on the south bound bus or you will end up in Mt Gravatt, way off to the south.

Ā 

At the Toombul bus exchange catch the 310 bus to the CBD. Alternatively walk across Sandgate Road to Toombul train station and catch a southbound train from there.

Ā 

Travel on Brisbane and Gold Coast ferries, buses and trains requires a Go Card, which can be purchased at the airport.

Just what you would want to do after a 12hour flight from the US, just to save a couple of dollars

• Like 2

2 hours ago, qbay46 said:

Just what you would want to do after a 12hour flight from the US, just to save a couple of dollars

Ā 

Who said you would?

Ā 

But I never turn my nose up at a couple of dollars.

Ā 

As an aside, if you have a concession Go Card, the 590 bus and any other Brisbane City buses are free outside of peak hour and the airport shuttle costs nothing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

If you are worried about the cost of a taxi into central Brisbane, brace yourself for the cost of a taxi to theĀ  new Overseas Passenger terminal.Ā  It's a long ride ,and there is no public transport.

BICT is about the same distance from the city as the airport is. Similar price for both.

We have caught the airtrain from the airport to the city and it is good - fast, leaves from right outside the terminal, frequent.Ā  I deliberately book a hotel close to central station - the Adina is right across the street and is a decent hotel.Ā  If you are staying around the queen street mall area, it is downhill from central station so it is a fairly easy walk.Ā Ā image.png.836d46c72bacedd7ed77eeb59f26b673.pngĀ If you go to their site https://www.airtrain.com.au/booking-form/Ā under 'tickets' you will find offers and there is a fare called the city duo saver which gives you a pretty good discount for one way travel for two ($28 AUD for two).Ā  Ā  There is also an advance purchase offer.Ā  If you are flying straight out after your cruise you probably don't want return tickets.Ā  Ā Ā 

Ā 

image.png.1b71b4c544296bb8e39136b37f7a0d92.png

Edited by lucymorgan

16 hours ago, arxcards said:

BICT is about the same distance from the city as the airport is. Similar price for both.

Actually, the new cruise terminal right down at the mouth of the river is a longer ride than to the airport, on slow roads with lots of commercial truck traffic.Ā  I'd allow half an hour for that drive, compared with maybe 15 - 20 mins to get to the airport.

20 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Actually, the new cruise terminal right down at the mouth of the river is a longer ride than to the airport, on slow roads with lots of commercial truck traffic.Ā  I'd allow half an hour for that drive, compared with maybe 15 - 20 mins to get to the airport.

I have never been on the newer M7 airport toll road. That would indeed be quicker into the city, but with a $5.30 toll added to the fare. Both time & distance are a factor on a taxi fare.

Ā 

When staying in a hotel along Kingsford-Smith Drive, our cab fare from airport to hotel has been near to identical to our cab fare from hotel to BICT. Maybe we were lucky enough to miss all of the trucks. It was an unappealingĀ experience, but the traffic was flowing.

There was mention of trucks on the road to the BICT. We have been to the terminal for four cruises and didn't see any trucks on the road on any of those eight trips. Obviously there are some, but I don't think it would be a problem. We did see a stream of taxis and private cars .......

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

I have never been on the newer M7 airport toll road. That would indeed be quicker into the city, but with a $5.30 toll added to the fare. Both time & distance are a factor on a taxi fare.

Ā 

When staying in a hotel along Kingsford-Smith Drive, our cab fare from airport to hotel has been near to identical to our cab fare from hotel to BICT. Maybe we were lucky enough to miss all of the trucks. It was an unappealingĀ experience, but the traffic was flowing.

Has the M7 changed? It runs north/south west of Sydney and links with M1 and M5 which can go to airport.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think Lyndarra's comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I would like to agree with you but I'll 'fess up, I got it totally wrong. šŸ˜ŸšŸ™„

Begs the question. Why duplicate Motorway numbers?

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I would like to agree with you but I'll 'fess up, I got it totally wrong. šŸ˜ŸšŸ™„

Begs the question. Why duplicate Motorway numbers?

Because each state numbers their own roads, and it is only "national highways" that are given a unique highway number.

Ā 

But yes, Q7 would make some sense.