Embarkation in San Juan

Grumpella

I was wondering how the embarkation is in San Juan for RCCL.  I know that Norwegian's is a $#%@show, as I was on that last month.

I know there is only 1 road going in, but my question is, once I'm at the pier, is it handled better by RCCL?  Better as in, there are seats available to sit down, we don't have to wait an hour out in the hot sun to board the ship, etc..

We will be cruising on March 5th and the Epic is also there that day.

Thank you for your help.

3 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

I was wondering how the embarkation is in San Juan for RCCL.  I know that Norwegian's is a $#%@show, as I was on that last month.

I know there is only 1 road going in, but my question is, once I'm at the pier, is it handled better by RCCL?  Better as in, there are seats available to sit down, we don't have to wait an hour out in the hot sun to board the ship, etc..

We will be cruising on March 5th and the Epic is also there that day.

Thank you for your help.

Depends on when you show up. Show up at your pre scheduled time. If you are too early and the doors aren't open you'll stand outside. All our cruises out of SJ have gone smoothly. Pre and post covid. If the ship isn't ready for boarding, there is a seating area inside the terminal.  RC and NCL use different terminals so that isn't an issue. 

Thank you for the reply.

I did show up last time at my scheduled time.  Still a #%$@show.  lol

I just got a 2 to 2:30 time.  I am wondering if I should just wait until later.  I remember looking out when I was on the Epic and seeing no traffic at 3 pm.  

1 hour ago, Grumpella said:

Thank you for the reply.

I did show up last time at my scheduled time.  Still a #%$@show.  lol

I just got a 2 to 2:30 time.  I am wondering if I should just wait until later.  I remember looking out when I was on the Epic and seeing no traffic at 3 pm.  

I think you'll be good with those times. We've cruised out of San Juan many times. There is always a big crowd when boarding first opens and then, it seems, around 4:00, probably due to flight schedules.

Funny story. I did. a b2b on Explorer last March. On turnaround day I went to old SJ. Back at the ship i went through the usual to board stuff and going up the escalator I realized it was going the opposite direction and I was about to board the Epic.  Someone (me?) wasn’t paying attention!  No problem at the Explorer dock.   BTW the wine store at the dock seemed quite expensive to me.

I haven't been since 2018, but I'd say San Juan embarkation is pretty much a ***** show. You'll be standing outside a pretty rundown building. No frills.

I should note though, that cruises from San Juan are my absolute favorite. You can get to the most beautiful islands from there. Highly recommend!

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Haha 1

We might cheat a bit.  We are staying the night before in the Hyatt Place that is just at the entrance to the port.  While I don't like the idea of walking down the road between the airport and the bay, if the traffic is backed up, it might be easier for us to just hoof it down to the terminal.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rewind said:

We might cheat a bit.  We are staying the night before in the Hyatt Place that is just at the entrance to the port.  While I don't like the idea of walking down the road between the airport and the bay, if the traffic is backed up, it might be easier for us to just hoof it down to the terminal.

Long walk, longer than you think.   Also figure the heat, probably hotter than you think.

47 minutes ago, Rewind said:

I've never known buckeyes to be the sharpest tools in the shed

We have received a couple notices saying traffic will be bad and give yourself extra time.  Our Uber driver even said walking would be the better option.

Here is a photo from our room at Hyatt Place where you can see traffic backing up between the trees.

PXL_20230205_141313695.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2023 at 8:57 PM, Rewind said:

Not what you think. Definitely would not walk. 

Edited by renza
  • Like 1

Well - we crossed the street all set to walk it...  And one of the Port agents was heading in and offered us a ride.  It would have been perfectly fine for us as we are in our low 40s, but would not recommend it for everyone.

PXL_20230205_163109395.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Well - we crossed the street all set to walk it...  And one of the Port agents was heading in and offered us a ride.  It would have been perfectly fine for us as we are in our low 40s, but would not recommend it for everyone.

PXL_20230205_163109395.jpg

Wow. How nice. So even with car traffic it didn’t take long to get there?  Have a great week

Edited by renza

2 hours ago, Rewind said:

I think the traffic itself is limiting the flow of people checking in.  There were a bunch of people waiting outside but even when we said we were early, they just waved us through.

Did the cabins open at 1 pm?