21 day check in date

daltonsmom1

On 2/4/2023 at 8:13 AM, daltonsmom1 said:

Leaving on the NCL Getaway on 3/26/23. When exactly does the 21 day check in begin?

Howdy @daltonsmom1 and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed NCL frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Also want to let you know the specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before your cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. To explain our Roll Call threads, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agree to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. Also, check out the following Cruise Critic article: 8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

Click here NCL GETAWAY 26-Mar-2023 to 5-Apr-2023 to go directly to your Roll Call thread. Take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, then post an introductory reply about yourself using the blue Reply to this topic button. If there is a particular post in the thread you want to address, use the Quote feature in the post. (For more information, please click here How to: Reply to a Topic / Quote / Multi-Quote) Continue on with more posts back and forth to get to know the other Roll Call thread members and allow them to get to know you. The specific Roll Call thread for your cruise is the only place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions & transportation with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" on your Roll Call thread since you are all sailing together! 

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. Welcome again, and we are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

On 2/4/2023 at 7:37 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

🤔🤔🤔   AHA!!!   21 calendar days based on Eastern Time.

12 midnight eastern time. Your app and MyNCL account count down clock changes days then. 

Wr always check in at midnight to secure the checkin time at the port we want. And now, you may also be able to book your entertainment on big ships at the stoke of midnight. 

7 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Stayed up to check in at 12:01, checked in but didn’t ask me to select a check in time at the pier. Odd, maybe something specific to Colon, Panama. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Yes, I checked, I am fully checked in and waiting for edocs to be uploaded. 

And when you were “fully checked in,” did you then receive a followup email with your boarding passes?

FWIW: The “boarding passes” are different than the also emailed “final docs” that include your “cruise vacation summary.”

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And when you were “fully checked in,” did you then receive a followup email with your boarding passes?

FWIW: The “boarding passes” are different than the also emailed “final docs” that include your “cruise vacation summary.”

I never received a follow-up email.  Later that day I noticed I could download the edocs on the app.

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No I haven’t received an email.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The 'Cruise Documents' that are emailed within a few hours after you have submitted your completed 'Check-In' ALSO is your 'BOARDING PASS', as indicated at the top of the (first page)!  There is ALSO a 'BAR CODE' at the TOP RIGHT-HAND SIDE of the first page of the 'Cruise Documents'! 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

The 'Cruise Documents' that are emailed within a few hours after you have submitted your completed 'Check-In' ALSO is your 'BOARDING PASS', as indicated at the top of the (first page)!  There is ALSO a 'BAR CODE' at the TOP RIGHT-HAND SIDE of the first page of the 'Cruise Documents'! 😉

pardon me. I confused two different NCL Holding check-in processes. Oceania (and I trust Regent) sends two different emails - one with the Cruise Vacation Summary (the practice for many years) and, since the relatively recent restart, a separate Boarding Pass sent after completion of the also new online check-in process w/i 21 days of embarkation.

13 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Stayed up to check in at 12:01, checked in but didn’t ask me to select a check in time at the pier. Odd, maybe something specific to Colon, Panama. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Yes, I checked, I am fully checked in and waiting for edocs to be uploaded. 

Keep checking to make sure your reservation stays at 100% checked in. If it slips back to 85%, check the Health and Safety tab and you may find a check in time option. If you get your edocs the next morning, you should be golden. 

• Thanks 1

I have a question. Our last NCL cruise was in 2018, I remember several months before the cruise you could go online and click the check in button and enter your passport information, your onboard payment preferences, and some other stuff. Now when I try to do that, our cruise is not until December 2023, it will not let me do that and says I have to wait until the 21 day mark, why did that change? Just curious.  This is our first cruise back since 2018.  

Edited by Noworkforme23

4 hours ago, Noworkforme23 said:

I have a question. Our last NCL cruise was in 2018, I remember several months before the cruise you could go online and click the check in button and enter your passport information, your onboard payment preferences, and some other stuff. Now when I try to do that, our cruise is not until December 2023, it will not let me do that and says I have to wait until the 21 day mark, why did that change? Just curious.  This is our first cruise back since 2018.  

Covid.

Covid vax/test requirements were the catalyst for introduction of close in dates (the 21 days item). And even though many cruise lines have loosened their Covid requirements, many governments have not. In fact, we’ll board Oceania Regatta in Sydney tomorrow and just did the “w/i 24 hr” pre-board Covid test required by New South Wales.

And, if it ain’t Covid, it’ll be something new threatening travel next month or year or ?.

So, having/maintaining a close-in check-in window means the cruise line doesn’t have to “gear up” for ever-changing requirements (their own or others’). They can just add/subtract items from the check-in list.

• Like 1

Just finished checkin for our next cruise on day 21.

didn't stay up till midnight.

Started about 830 this morning.

Plenty of checkin slots at the pier still available including the much coveted 0900 slots.

Only issue was the size of the photographs.  Width and height have to be at least 640.

Had to edit both photographs.

Selected 1100 checkin times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Plenty of checkin slots at the pier still available including the much coveted 0900 slots.

Only issue was the size of the photographs.  Width and height have to be at least 640.

Our 21 day out was 2 weeks ago. We didn't check in until 9:30 am and all slots were available.  We choose 11-11:30.   I didn't see a need to wait around for the sake of waiting around.  (we live 50 minutes to 2.5 hours drive away 😛 ).

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Keep checking to make sure your reservation stays at 100% checked in. If it slips back to 85%, check the Health and Safety tab and you may find a check in time option. If you get your edocs the next morning, you should be golden. 

We had an odd occurrence at check in last night.  All of our individual information was complete, but our vacation summary showed we were at 85% and missing the Health and Safety section.  When I edited our check in info, everything was showing complete including the Health and Safety tab with the arrival time we picked.  This morning, we are still at 85% and our eDocs are available!  Weird.  Looks like there might be a call to customer service in my future just to make sure everything is okay.

24 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

Our 21 day out was 2 weeks ago. We didn't check in until 9:30 am and all slots were available.  We choose 11-11:30.   I didn't see a need to wait around for the sake of waiting around.  (we live 50 minutes to 2.5 hours drive away 😛 ).

Exactly our rationale.  

Checkin times are not boarding times.

Checkin at 0900 and  you might board at 1130

Checkin at 1100 and your probably will board around 1200.

We just don't think the boarding time difference is worth  2 1/2 hours of standing in lines and, if your lucky, sitting in a hard plastic chair.  

We'd rather spend that time at the hotel.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mark635 said:

We had an odd occurrence at check in last night.  All of our individual information was complete, but our vacation summary showed we were at 85% and missing the Health and Safety section.  When I edited our check in info, everything was showing complete including the Health and Safety tab with the arrival time we picked.  This morning, we are still at 85% and our eDocs are available!  Weird.  Looks like there might be a call to customer service in my future just to make sure everything is okay.

I did check in this morning.  All the topics have checkmarks.  The banner for both of us say our checkin is complete.  Despite that, our checkins are showing 86% complete.  Our edocs are not ready for downloading.

One wonders if you must download the edocs to get to 100%?

12 minutes ago, faphy8 said:

What is this photo we have to do now for check in? Have not been since 2018 .Thanks

Need a color photograph which you upload to NCL during the echeckin process.  I can't remember all the requirements but some are has to be similar to a passport photo in size, no glasses, no others in the photo graph.  Everyone wonders why because NCL takes another photograph when you checkin at the pier.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Now I see where NCL has changed our checkin time to 1130-1200.

We checked in not too long after it was available and its still showing 85%. We were able to print out our edocs and luggage tags but still no email from NCL. Its been awhile since our last cruise and we are not familiar with some of these matters.