New to Saga

Ladycommonsense

Thanks for all the replies on Saga coffee, I now have a good idea what we will experience onboard.

Our favourite high street coffee is Nero which we also use at home in a cafetiere, never been keen on Costa.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Rather disappointing to hear that Saga does not offer coffee made from a ''proper'' machine, just the push button type. Certainly, the luxury lines all have included excellent coffee, made as you would find in a coffee shop. I believe that even the mainstream lines also generally have this option, albeit at extra cost. Time for Saga to get real in this area !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Rather disappointing to hear that Saga does not offer coffee made from a ''proper'' machine, just the push button type. Certainly, the luxury lines all have included excellent coff made as you would find in a coffee shop. I believe that even the mainstream lines also generally have this option, albeit at extra cost. Time for Saga to get real in this area !!

Exactly, should be available somewhere on the ships.at Saga prices.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

To make sure we are all talking about the same type of coffee machine - the ones on Saga or, the ones that I know of on Saga) are the "bean-to-cup" type, where there is a pod at the top filled with coffee beans and the machine grinds them when you push the button.

They are not the type filled with packs of powdered coffee.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

To make sure we are all talking about the same type of coffee machine - the ones on Saga or, the ones that I know of on Saga) are the "bean-to-cup" type, where there is a pod at the top filled with coffee beans and the machine grinds them when you push the button.

The coffee in the living room is like that. Lovely coffee.

• Like 1

I did not intend to start a debate about different types of coffee machine I was just interested to find what to expect onboard.

It seems that I will be disappointed with the offerings after my previous cruise experience at a similar price range.

13 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

The coffee in the living room is like that. Lovely coffee.

I agree.  The Living Room serves the best coffee.  The coffee available elsewhere on the ship is nowhere near as good.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LandC said:

I agree.  The Living Room serves the best coffee.  The coffee available elsewhere on the ship is nowhere near as good.  

Have to disagree its horrible 😀 although decaf is slightly better

6 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I did not intend to start a debate about different types of coffee machine I was just interested to find what to expect onboard.

It seems that I will be disappointed with the offerings after my previous cruise experience at a similar price range.

No problem with a debate about coffee, makes a change from debates about the wine (both the included and the pay-for) which had the same range of varying opinions as to the quality.

Hopefully, there will be enough things that Saga do right to make your cruise enjoyable.

It will be interesting to hear your opinions after the cruise (the cruise in general, not just the coffee....).

54 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

No problem with a debate about coffee, makes a change from debates about the wine (both the included and the pay-for) which had the same range of varying opinions as to the quality.

Hopefully, there will be enough things that Saga do right to make your cruise enjoyable.

It will be interesting to hear your opinions after the cruise (the cruise in general, not just the coffee....).

The cruise is not until September it will be our first time cruising from a UK port.

Booked mainly because we don't wish to fly anymore and it seemed that Saga will be our best option, hopefully that will prove to be the case

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

The cruise is not until September it will be our first time cruising from a UK port.

Booked mainly because we don't wish to fly anymore and it seemed that Saga will be our best option, hopefully that will prove to be the case

I flew half way around the world with very high expectations. Loved my back-to-back cruises and am booked for two more next year. Not thrilled with some of the excursions, but I am more interested in the ship-board experience.

• Like 3

Bloodaxe ,we are long time Azamara cruisers and have just returned from our first Saga cruise.

We found it to be excellent in all aspects.

I cannot comment on the coffee but everything else was very good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, anniesh said:

Bloodaxe ,we are long time Azamara cruisers and have just returned from our first Saga cruise.

We found it to be excellent in all aspects.

I cannot comment on the coffee but everything else was very good.

Thank you that is reassuring, we had been regulars on Azamara  from  2008 until 2019, the Saga cruise in Sept will be our first since then.

It is a pity that Azamara never seem to cruise round trip UK or that would still be our first choice, Saga seems to be our best replacement.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:18 PM, nosapphire said:

Understood, although still not comparable at all to the superior offering that should be available, as previously outlined. After all, like it or not, we are now in a 'coffee culture' society/environment.

3 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Understood, although still not comparable at all to the superior offering that should be available, as previously outlined. After all, like it or not, we are now in a 'coffee culture' society/environment.

Speaking personally... we're not.

Caffeine is additive and has side effects including; anxiety, sleeplessness, agitation, palpitations, diarrhoea and restlessness. These effects are amplified when taking certain over-the-counter travel medications. Many medical symptoms are made worse by caffeine.

Those who try to cut down on caffeine can experience withdrawal symptoms.

So... we both like coffee... but we restrict our intake to the recommended 300 mg a day... three cups of real stuff... max. None after about 12-noon.

Some people may well be in a 'coffee culture' but 30% of folk in the UK don't drink coffee on a regular basis and the average UK intake is only about 2 cups a day. Despite the efforts of the multinational "coffee-brands" these days the UK isn't even featured in the world's top ten coffee drinking countries.

But... no need not to enjoy coffee in moderation and no need not to look for the best coffee available.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

My husband was advised to cut out caffeine for medical reasons and it worked (and luckily without any withdrawal symptoms).  Decaf coffee for him now and I have decaf tea to keep him company😊.

• Like 3

Can we change the topic? This is our first Saga cruise, we  usually go with Regent so no formal nights. Decided we don't want to take formal wear But can we drink in any of the bars in our smart casual wear on formal nights?

• Like 2

Yes, you can 🙂

5 minutes ago, MikeD1000 said:

Can we change the topic? This is our first Saga cruise, we  usually go with Regent so no formal nights. Decided we don't want to take formal wear But can we drink in any of the bars in our smart casual wear on formal nights?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeD1000 said:

As I now understand it - it appears to have changed slightly of late -  on formal nights men need to wear jacket and tie to dine in The Dining Room and the speciality restaurants, and (somewhat incongruously imo) to go to the theatre. It does not need to be a dinner suit, a lounge suit will suffice. Smart casual is acceptable in The Grill, which offers the same waiter served menu as the dining Room, and in all other areas of the ship including the bars and Britannia Lounge.

Edited by Denarius
Spelling
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Speaking personally... we're not.

Caffeine is additive and has side effects including; anxiety, sleeplessness, agitation, palpitations, diarrhoea and restlessness. These effects are amplified when taking certain over-the-counter travel medications. Many medical symptoms are made worse by caffeine.

So... we both like coffee... but we restrict our intake to the recommended 300 mg a day... three cups of real stuff... max. None after about 12-noon.

Some people may well be in a 'coffee culture' but 30% of folk in the UK don't drink coffee on a regular basis and the average UK intake is only about 2 cups a day. Despite the efforts of the multinational "coffee-brands" these days the UK isn't even featured in the world's top ten coffee drinking countries.

But... no need not to enjoy coffee in moderation and no need not to look for the best coffee available.

Blimey rather over the top lecture 🙄

• Like 3

On 6/20/2023 at 2:12 PM, Bloodaxe said:

Thank you that is reassuring, we had been regulars on Azamara  from  2008 until 2019, the Saga cruise in Sept will be our first since then.

It is a pity that Azamara never seem to cruise round trip UK or that would still be our first choice, Saga seems to be our best replacement.

Booking excursion, I believe we have to book even for the included ones.

Will we be notified when they are available book or will we have to keep checking in my Saga?.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Will we be notified when they are available book or will we have to keep checking in my Saga?.

You should be notified. We received an email and excursion booklet through the post about 7 weeks before the cruise but it doesn't harm to check MySaga from a couple of months out.

6 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Yes and yes. Usually anything between 6-4 weeks prior to sailing. They go out for everyone on the same day so if you get the booklet you know they are also in My Saga

• Like 1