New to Saga

Ladycommonsense

Just now, jsforum said:

I was referring to your first talk that lasted 20 minutes. I was pleased as I needed the loo. I didn't have time to attend the second session 

My first talk covered Norway's history, the city of Bergen and the port of Olden. It lasted 45 minutes.

My second talk covered Alesund and Stavanger in 43 minutes.

If my agent thinks I spoke for just 20  minutes  they will not book me again!

Best regards, Hazel

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jsforum said:

Not as I recall 

Having attended many talks by destinations speakers over the years on Saga ships, never ever have any of them done just 20 minutes. Their allocated session time is 45 minutes, and i know that Hazel times (and practises) her presentation numerous times before each talk is presented, to ensure that she doesn't short-change passengers, or over-run. Maybe, you fell asleep for one half! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:02 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Must say Hazels talks are best on any cruise line. Great for self organisers and wanderers, not just selling trips

I agree - I found her talk most enlightening. It helped me decide on the right excursion in Olden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsforum said:

Strange you think Hazel's expertise would send anyone to sleep 

It's not the talks that send me to sleep, it's the darkened room. I like that destination talks are also on replay in my cabin so I can watch anything I might have missed -- or want to review. 

PS I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing one of Hazel's talks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GerryL13 said:

It's not the talks that send me to sleep, it's the darkened room. I like that destination talks are also on replay in my cabin so I can watch anything I might have missed -- or want to review. 

PS I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing one of Hazel's talks.

You probably wouldn't fall asleep in one of Hazel's talks because they are so interesting. Hopefully you will get the opportunity to see her in action on a future cruise.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2023 at 12:24 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm not bothered about lunch as we can eat before we go, but, I'm keen to get speciality dining booked, especially as our wedding anniversary falls during the cruise.  

If you want to celebrate your wedding anniversary in one of the speciality restaurants, have you thought of ringing the after-sales team now on 0800 504 505 and mentioning this request? They could refuse, or they might say that they will try to do something without being able to guarantee success, but it is (in my view!) well worth a shot. 

Edited by Vivaldi
clarification
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

If you want to celebrate your wedding anniversary in one of the speciality restaurants, have you thought of ringing the after-sales team now on 0800 504 505 and mentioning this request? They could refuse, or they might say that they will try to do something without being able to guarantee success, but it is (in my view!) well worth a shot. 

Thank you, that's a good idea. I'll see what boarding time I'm given, and if I think it's necessary, given them a call 

• 3 weeks later...

Our first Saga cruise is rapidly approaching so this is a quick question please. I usually cruise P&O in a suite so am used to getting a nice bathrobe and slippers - do Saga provide these I wonder for a standard balcony cabin? If not, no problem, we'll take our own.

6 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

Our first Saga cruise is rapidly approaching so this is a quick question please. I usually cruise P&O in a suite so am used to getting a nice bathrobe and slippers - do Saga provide these I wonder for a standard balcony cabin? If not, no problem, we'll take our own.

Yes they are supplied in all grades - plus an umbrella, binoculars, shoe horn and clothes brush

• Like 1

Just now, Ladycommonsense said:

Yippee - thank you!  That means less to carry and more shoes to get into the case 🤣

Ha, I nearly wrote, pack more shoes and then I thought I don't know you and you might not get the joke!!

43 minutes ago, hjg20 said:

Ha, I nearly wrote, pack more shoes and then I thought I don't know you and you might not get the joke!!

Joke?  The business of shoes is a very serious business I'll have you know - and it is certainly no joke!!  ........ er well not when you have as many pairs as me 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ladycommonsense said:

Joke?  The business of shoes is a very serious business I'll have you know - and it is certainly no joke!!  ........ er well not when you have as many pairs as me 🤣

+ handbags 😉!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hjg20 said:

Yes they are supplied in all grades - plus an umbrella, binoculars, shoe horn and clothes brush

You’ll probably need the shoe horn to get in the dressing gowns. 😱 Bigger ones are available just ask the cabin steward. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

You’ll probably need the shoe horn to get in the dressing gowns. 😱 Bigger ones are available just ask the cabin steward. 

That's bordering on "sizeist" Scorpio41. 🤣🤣??!! Have a care or the cancel culture warriors will be baying for blood. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I thought the same.  Though many of us are on the larger side of model measurements, there are still a few slender people around, and hjg20  could be one of them.

I wouldn't describe myself as slender - well, not since Lockdown!

• Like 3

We asked for a mattress topper (on the Pearl II) once.

Evidently they had run out,

In the afternoon, we opened the cabin door in response to a knock, to be confronted by a brand new, full-size double mattress clutched by our breathless, sweating cabin steward who had manhandled it all the way from the storage bay to our cabin..
Placed on top of the existing mattress it was wonderfully comfortable, albeit a loooong way from the floor.

Saga cruises do go the extra mile to try and fulfil passenger requests.

(and yes, our steward did get a much bigger end-of-cruise tip than usual).

• Like 4

Are there any benefits for booking a future cruise while on the ship?, our first Saga cruiser is in September and we are thinking of booking one for next year but not until we have some experience of the line.