B2B alcohol purchase

Barecruiser

While it has been several years it happened to us.  The one time (and probably only time) we have driven to a cruise port was when we drove from our home in Fairbanks, Alaska to Seward, Alaska for an Alaska itinerary B2B.  We never buy anything from a ship liquor store since we fly to ports.  But since we were driving my husband bought two bottles of something ( don't remember what) on the first leg.  Those two bottles were delivered prior to turnaround day.  On the second leg he also bought two bottles of whatever (again I don't remember what).  So we drove home with four bottles.

Usually on the last evening of a cruise when you buy any duty free they just give it to you in a box and you carry it back to your room.   What you do with it is up to you.   Just don't make a big deal about it.

Of course I would never do this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Usually on the last evening of a cruise when you buy any duty free they just give it to you in a box and you carry it back to your room.   What you do with it is up to you.   Just don't make a big deal about it.

Of course I would never do this!

That has happened to us.  Also, I have heard of people buying duty free liquor in a port and bringing on a 1 liter bottle through ship security without being stopped.

I am sure that they would want to deliver it to your current cabin on the last day to avoid any mix up in case you change cabins.  Plus being responsible to keep it.    Too much paper work 

Something you need to consider.  The duty free allowance isn’t per cruise.  I think it is once per 30 days.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On the 3 X cruises we took in 2022 we bought booze during our port stops and openly walked aboard with it without being confiscated. In one case we bought booze on board the second or third day of a 12 night cruise and were allowed to take it back to our cabin.

We asked one of the staff about it and they just shrugged and said "I really can't say" which tells me that while the policy hasn't changed the application of the policy has. In other words "don't ask, don't tell". 

21 hours ago, miched said:

I am sure that they would want to deliver it to your current cabin on the last day to avoid any mix up in case you change cabins.  Plus being responsible to keep it.    Too much paper work 

Something you need to consider.  The duty free allowance isn’t per cruise.  I think it is once per 30 days.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Agree that the Duty Free Allowance is per 30 days ...but.... except those that purchased high end jewelry which are reported to Customs is the last time any of was stopped and ask if you have an extra bottle or carton of cigarettes.  Of course,  I would never bring back more than the limit. 

A really neat provision if you want extra -  book a cruise that stops in the USVI.   They have a special allowance that permits 5X the normal allocation for Cigarettes and Cigars and 4 Liters of Liquor plus an additional one if manufactured in USVI.  Required to purchase in the USVI not on the ship. 

Only one time in the past 10 years has the shop keeper even asked if I was departing the next day and even then had no means to verify.   My understanding is the shops are contractors and do not have access to the Celebrity system except to process charges.

• Like 1