Internet and wifi - Starlink

dadofjessie

So to answer the burning question about internet at sea, is Starlink any good, we are on the Celebrity Beyond as I type and we have the premium internet package . The Beyond advertises that it uses Starlink. I have done speed checks in a number of places on the ship and we average 105 download and 30 upload. This is the best that we have ever had on any cruise. We did a FaceTime call to our grandson back home last night and it was perfect. We have been watching Netflix as well.

So the answer to the question is yes, it is very good!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on Equinox in January right after they implemented Starlink.   Premium package was capped at 5 down and about 2.5 up according to the IT manager.  Latency was pretty good at 40ish ms.

This was Equinox in August pre StarLink

image.png.db4ffe7cb4a281a585fd18826f0c78fa.png

This was Equinox in January post StarLink

image.png.67bd32c4bebdcab74d06c5ac2efae985.png

Experience was noticeably better due to the reduced latency.  We did stream and there was still some buffering but not real bad.   Did wifi call with no problem.

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

We were on Equinox in January right after they implemented Starlink.   Premium package was capped at 5 down and about 2.5 up according to the IT manager.  Latency was pretty good at 40ish ms.

This was Equinox in August pre StarLink

image.png.db4ffe7cb4a281a585fd18826f0c78fa.png

This was Equinox in January post StarLink

image.png.67bd32c4bebdcab74d06c5ac2efae985.png

Experience was noticeably better due to the reduced latency.  We did stream and there was still some buffering but not real bad.   Did wifi call with no problem.

No buffering issues at all.

So the wifi speed caps for the premium package differs from ship to ship?  Equinox is capped at 5 Mbps but Beyond goes beyond that?  Apex will be even better?

Edited by mahdnc

20 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

So the wifi speed caps for the premium package differs from ship to ship?  Equinox is capped at 5 Mbps but Beyond goes beyond that?  Apex will be even better?

Curious if Apex was already upgraded or if an estimated date has been published.

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

5Mpbs - Which I'd expect is not coincidentally the same rate you need to stream 1080p HD video.   

Edited by TwoBeAtSea

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Kramer995 said:

Do any streaming services work on Starlink (ie Hulu, Netflix, Paramount) when at sea?

We had the Premium Starlink Wi-Fi on the Apex last September and the Edge in January in Australia and had no problems streaming Netflix and Prime on my laptop and tablets. Since we were outside of North America on both cruises, we could not stream Hulu, Fubo and Paramount because of geographic limitations by the providers not Starlink.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:48 AM, terrydtx said:

We had the Premium Starlink Wi-Fi on the Apex last September and the Edge in January in Australia and had no problems streaming Netflix and Prime on my laptop and tablets. Since we were outside of North America on both cruises, we could not stream Hulu, Fubo and Paramount because of geographic limitations by the providers not Starlink.

You can usually get around this with VPN.    I use NordVPN and have no trouble spoofing location.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 9:48 AM, terrydtx said:

we could not stream Hulu, Fubo and Paramount because of geographic limitations by the providers not Starlink.

TunnelBear is a good free solution. Don't leave home without it.

Edited by mahasamatman