Tell me about Aurora

Scorpio41

On 2/9/2023 at 1:28 PM, DamianG said:

We used to love Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora and especially Al Fresco on Oriana.

Al Fresco! That's it, loved it in there, I was just trying to remember the name of the cafe on Oriana. My favourite P&O ship. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, AchileLauro said:

We too loved café Bordeaux and were hugely disappointed when it was replaced with the Glasshouse.

However most of the other changes that were made at the same time of the refit  that removed it were pretty much welcomed.

You mentioning Caf'e Bordeaux reminds of a cruise we took several years ago. We were in the MDR at a table of 8, a lovely Scottish couple, and two other couples who's only intent seemed to be to outdo each other by using the  Caf'e Bordeaux as some sort of oneupmanship status symbol. I found it quite funny and I believe the Scottish couple were on the same wavelength as we were. Don't get me wrong we like to now and again go to Sindu or wherever. But I really don't consider that I am special in any way because I go to those venues. We also had a lady and gent who was given a couple of sachet's of drinking chocolate and my wife explained to her how to use them. The lady was very critical of the fare served up in the Main Dining Room and insisted that they go to one of the restaurants where you pay an extra cover fee as in her opinion the MDR fare was way below Cunard.

On 2/20/2023 at 1:54 PM, elmsliebev said:

Al Fresco! That's it, loved it in there, I was just trying to remember the name of the cafe on Oriana. My favourite P&O ship. 

Did you by any chance sail on Oriana the year it came out of Miami and shortly after the Captain announced that they had a fire onboard, which apparently was quickly extinguished but they had to inform the coastguard whereupon we had to return to Miami. We shunted down somewhere where we docked and were met by quite a few police cars and had to remain overnight, missing Key West. Which didn't go down particularly well with some passenger. Mind you missing Key West seems a regular occurrence as we missed it again another time due to the weather as it's a tender job and a cruise we go on soon has already taken Key West off the itinerary for what reason I don't now. It's now become a sea day. 

16 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

You mentioning Caf'e Bordeaux reminds of a cruise we took several years ago. We were in the MDR at a table of 8, a lovely Scottish couple, and two other couples who's only intent seemed to be to outdo each other by using the  Caf'e Bordeaux as some sort of oneupmanship status symbol. I found it quite funny and I believe the Scottish couple were on the same wavelength as we were. Don't get me wrong we like to now and again go to Sindu or wherever. But I really don't consider that I am special in any way because I go to those venues. We also had a lady and gent who was given a couple of sachet's of drinking chocolate and my wife explained to her how to use them. The lady was very critical of the fare served up in the Main Dining Room and insisted that they go to one of the restaurants where you pay an extra cover fee as in her opinion the MDR fare was way below Cunard.

We may have had afternoon tea with that lady. 😂  

Cafe Bordeaux was a nice relaxing place to eat and all totally free. How times have changed.

6 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Did you by any chance sail on Oriana the year it came out of Miami and shortly after the Captain announced that they had a fire onboard, which apparently was quickly extinguished but they had to inform the coastguard whereupon we had to return to Miami. We shunted down somewhere where we docked and were met by quite a few police cars and had to remain overnight, missing Key West. Which didn't go down particularly well with some passenger. Mind you missing Key West seems a regular occurrence as we missed it again another time due to the weather as it's a tender job and a cruise we go on soon has already taken Key West off the itinerary for what reason I don't now. It's now become a sea day. 

not, only sailed in her from Southampton. Sounds exciting though! 

On 2/8/2023 at 9:52 PM, jh1809 said:

The comfortable cardigan is a good analogy.

The MDR does a pretty decent breakfast eggs Benedict, if it's any consolation. And it's now available there every day, when pre-Covid it was a "special" only on once a week.

Our last two P&O cruises were on Britannia,I was not impressed on the second one when items which had been every day items on the buffet were turning up as Chef's Specials Of The Day,& I mean things like Black Pudding,I love it but Chef's Special?!?!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scorpio41 said:

Have they updated Aurora inline with the newer ships? 

What changes since the covid lockdown?

Do we have the app too?

Yes but I think there is less reliance on it. When I sailed on her last summer you could just turn up at the theatre etc without booking. They had members of the Entertainment Staff taking your cabin number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

Have they updated Aurora inline with the newer ships? 

What changes since the covid lockdown?

Do we have the app too?

In our experience last Nov/Dec booking the MDR worked very well on Aurora - even worked in our cabin, though not on the balcony.  We were also on Azura in late Sept/Oct and booking the MDR was totally unreliable, dropping out even if we just walked around the atrium area.

Like Andrew said we did not need to book into the theatre when we were on Aurora, though only about 1550 pax on the ship, not convinced we would have needed to on Azura either - but theatres are not something we go to regularly.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, Waju said:

We were last on her in 2020, has there been a refit since? 

Aurora is my absolute favourite cruise ship 🛳️ 

Me too ! Going on her end of august and beginning of December - got a great select price for 16 nights to the canaries.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

And me. Small and friendly. On her next weekend and again in April and July. Expensive compared to the cheap new ships but worth it for me. 

We've booked the Baltics in May, obviously minus St. P now but just happy to be going back on Aurora and calling at ports we've never visited before!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, galeforce9 said:

Has anyone any photos or experience of large inside or large outside cabins on Aurora?  Can’t find much by way of search on the internet or here (apart from some helpful posts from AndyMichelle in 2019).  Thanks 

I don't have photos but I can recommend an inside cabin - its A298 on deck 11 - lovely large cabin for an inside and just a couple of steps away from the door to the tiered deck at the back of the ship. There are tables and chairs just outside the door so really easy to take your cuppa out there in the morning or have a quiet nightcap before you go to bed.

Please keep it secret though - don't tell everyone☺️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

I don't have photos but I can recommend an inside cabin - its A298 on deck 11 - lovely large cabin for an inside and just a couple of steps away from the door to the tiered deck at the back of the ship. There are tables and chairs just outside the door so really easy to take your cuppa out there in the morning or have a quiet nightcap before you go to bed.

The secrets out, I have A307 for July 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waju said:

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The secrets out, I have A307 for July 😁

Is there any noise/vibration in those cabins at the rear, especially A298 which is adjacent to white space?  We have considered that location for all different classes of cabin.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tring said:

Is there any noise/vibration in those cabins at the rear, especially A298 which is adjacent to white space?  We have considered that location for all different classes of cabin.

We've never had a problem with noise.  We worried when we first had A298 about passing traffic to the outside decks but it's always been quiet for us!

It's also very handy for the lift/stairs to the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waju said:

Is the layout like a normal inside, ie small corner sofa/table etc?  Does look like a good choice.  I was going to ask about the white spaces above/below and any noise but I’ve been beaten to it. Thank you again for taking the time.  Much appreciated 

This is a brilliant idea. I usually take a sea view or depending on the ship/price, a balcony because I don't really like an inside cabin. But if you can just walk outside your door a few paces into an outside area it seems a very good option.

I notice Azura/Ventura also seems to have a few outside small white spaces near the aft inside cabins. I wonder if they might also allow convenient access to a sea view.

Search online for - Cabin C260 on P&O Cruise Ship Aurora

This also one of the 'square' format inside cabins. I have my bed configuration as twin so I can use the other bed as an horizontal wardrobe. This must mean moving the far bed against the wall because you need room to get in the bathroom

2 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

Is the layout like a normal inside, ie small corner sofa/table etc?  Does look like a good choice.  I was going to ask about the white spaces above/below and any noise but I’ve been beaten to it. Thank you again for taking the time.  Much appreciated 

In A298 it’s a more ‘square’ cabin, so the bedroom is like a normal Aurora inside cabin but the sofa is in an alcove.  Hope that makes sense, I can picture it in my mind but it’s difficult to explain.  

A298, the door from the corridor is between the bed and the bathroom - so bed on left bathroom on right - past the bathroom is the alcove with the sofa.  The head of the bed is on the corridor wall with wardrobes/dressing table at the foot of the bed.  We’ve had drinks in there for 8 people and it was fine.

Hope that’s helpful and not making it more complicated!