Serenade or Jewel

DanOO

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What's Royal reasoning of breaking up the 4 segments into even shorter cruises, seems that would just make it more of a pain for passengers that aren't doing all these little cruises with more embarking  and disembarking days.

Are they having trouble filling the ship for even now the 4 segments?

I can imagine the pricing of these cruises is becoming into a nightmare. Got to hope booking the 3 mini portions doesn't get cheaper then booking 1  of the 4 segments. If that happens going to have a lot of unhappy people.

What are the downsides for longer-term passengers if there is a changeover at certain ports of call?

Edited by LAKaye

1 hour ago, LAKaye said:

What are the downsides for longer-term passengers if there is a changeover at certain ports of call?

Just the flow of the total cruise..........another life boat drill probably for everyone again, and Welcome aboard show again, extra disembarking information over loud speakers,  Added stress on the crew, more work for crew with more new passengers boarding. Always extra work for the crew on turnaround days.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What's Royal reasoning of breaking up the 4 segments into even shorter cruises, seems that would just make it more of a pain for passengers that aren't doing all these little cruises with more embarking  and disembarking days.

Are they having trouble filling the ship for even now the 4 segments?

I can imagine the pricing of these cruises is becoming into a nightmare. Got to hope booking the 3 mini portions doesn't get cheaper then booking 1  of the 4 segments. If that happens going to have a lot of unhappy people.

Thank you for your insight. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Did you transfer it to a Travel Agency to see if you could get more OBC that way? I would not spend that kind of money on a cruise and  not expect more OBC from somewhere?

This is pretty much a brochure rate cruise. No special deals. If a TA wishes to share part of their commission, that's about it.

As far as I know, the sum total for the 4 'segments' is about the same as for the entire voyage. However, the full boat cruisers qualify for around $6500-$9000 of added excursions and flights. Plus a big party and 2 nights at Intercontinental Miami.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. We've never received any OBC for booking a future cruise with RC while onboard. At least Celebrity will give you OBC based on the number of nights and the stateroom type when booking a future cruise while onboard. Also a B2B discount for each leg per cabin. The amount depends on the number of nights for each leg.  

I've gotten plenty of OBC from Next Cruise. Typically the same as deposit. Got $600 for a suite on a TA. For a while you could use the OBC on the ship you wete on when you booked

4 hours ago, LAKaye said:

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just the flow of the total cruise..........another life boat drill probably for everyone again, and Welcome aboard show again, extra disembarking information over loud speakers,  Added stress on the crew, more work for crew with more new passengers boarding. Always extra work for the crew on turnaround days.

Practically zero. It's not a turnaround day. We kerp going west. We'll be picking up supplies all the time. We won't be doing any welcome aboard shows. Everything will be somewhat unique to fit our locations

Believe it or not, we don't do musters anymore. You'd know that if you cruised lately.😉

Honestly, we'll be off the ship enjoying the locality. Turnover will be only handfuls of people. Maybe a few more at the end of the iriginal 4 segments

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Practically zero. It's not a turnaround day. We kerp going west. We'll be picking up supplies all the time. We won't be doing any welcome aboard shows. Everything will be somewhat unique to fit our locations

Believe it or not, we don't do musters anymore. You'd know that if you cruised lately.😉

Honestly, we'll be off the ship enjoying the locality. Turnover will be only handfuls of people. Maybe a few more at the end of the iriginal 4 segments

I fully know musters are now done on your phone on boarding day. Don't have to have been  on a cruise ship to know that.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I fully know musters are now done on your phone on boarding day. Don't have to have been  on a cruise ship to know that.

FWIW, there are a couple of known reasons for the 17 legs.

One is merely an accounting function. It allows Royal to close out our accounts in a timely fashion. Shipboard accounts could be quite substantial on such a long voyage. 

Another is to facilitate filling up the ship with folks more inclined to choose shorter voyages. However cabin selection will be poor, so you get whatever was passed over earlier. Scraps so to speak.

But keep posting theories, its good entertainment 👌 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Then why did you write this:  "another life boat drill probably for everyone again"

Because they might all have to do it again every time that have new passengers join the cruise. Some passengers may change cabins, so they will have to do it again every time their cabin is changed to a different location.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Because they might all have to do it again every time that have new passengers join the cruise. Some passengers may change cabins, so they will have to do it again every time their cabin is changed to a different location.

"it all" consists of walking to a spot and having someone scan your phone. Oh, the horror.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, davekathy said:

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification. I'll always ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I would have thought an OBC would have been a little extra bonus for booking the WC. 

Me too.  $$$ already paid off 1st leg..ouch!  😮 

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Well, pooh. I thought you might be able to waggle more.

LOL...I can't even book anything over a balcony...and I had booked at 5 am on the day the legs were offered (next cruise lady called me in my cabin on Odyssey).  

Individual legs don't get additional freebies that whole cruise pax do either.  

14 hours ago, LAKaye said:

I seriously doubt there will be a lot of newbies boarding on the new smaller legs.  The ship was pretty much sold out even when they offered the four legs.  Very limited cabins, mostly inside or "port hole" cabins left.  Nothing JS and up...and still none...I have been checking.  

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Is someone still talking about the topic of this thread?

Answered quite thoroughly days ago. 

Now morphed into speculation on how Serenade will work on a 9 month voyage.

Is that a problem?

Care to add your 2 cents on the differences between Jewel and Serenade

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

On Serenade again this weekend due to a non refundable fare we had booked a long time ago. This ship is really embarrassing. The condition of the ship, the quality of the foods, and stateroom condition is dreadful. I genuinely hope they make some massive improvements before the world cruise.  It’s really a shame, have had great cruises on Brilliance from Tampa 😒.