New Zealand customs for packaged cookies?

7 hours ago, Jean C said:

Haha, you won't be disappointed. They're sold at all supermarkets and yes, bikkies are cookies. As regards dark chocolate cookies, best to scan the shelves yourself and pick what appeals most. For dark chocolate biscuits/cookies, not too sweet, I like Sultana Pasties - I tell myself they're healthy, hehehe. As @lissieĀ says, Whitakers chocolate is heavenly, heaps better than Cadbury, it has a true chocolately flavour.Ā  Enjoy browsing the treat aisles of our supermarkets šŸ˜‹

Thanks to you and lissie for the recommendation for Whitakers. Have list, will travel. This is the kind of shopping my husband actually likes, so we are set!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks to you and lissie for the recommendation for Whitakers. Have list, will travel. This is the kind of shopping my husband actually likes, so we are set!

Sultana Pasties are really good too - you are making me hungry for all the bad biscuits I try not to buy LOLĀ 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, lyndarra said:

You've just thrown another word difference into the mix. "Pasties".

Also, I met an American cruiser who wondered what sultanas were when I mentioned I have them in my porridge (oatmeal). The best I could explain was "white grape raisins". She was Alaskan if that makes a difference.

Except that Chocolate Sultana Pasties aren't anything like a pasty. They do have sort of ultra-thin flaky pastry-like layers inside with the sultanas. They are yummy though.Ā 

Ā 

I think sultanas are called golden raisins in the US. I've come across that term in several US recipes.

• Like 4

So far these are the best chocolate biscuits I've ever had. They are wicked! Available in Australia and NZ. They also come in milk chocolate, salted caramel dark chocolate, and mint milk chocolate. The photo was taken from the New World supermarket website so the prices are in NZD.Ā 

Screenshot_20230218-112113_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d2730aeb27200106b5ac379e405d6860.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

If you like coconut in chocolate, Whittakers have the best coconut chocolate I have ever tasted. My absolute favourite, I had a small slab/bar this afternoon.Ā 

Whittaker's Coconut Slab 50g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So far these are the best chocolate biscuits I've ever had. They are wicked! Available in Australia and NZ. They also come in milk chocolate, salted caramel dark chocolate, and mint milk chocolate. The photo was taken from the New World supermarket website so the prices are in NZD.Ā 

Screenshot_20230218-112113_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d2730aeb27200106b5ac379e405d6860.jpg

Yes, I prefer those to Tim Tams Julie.Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

In SA pasties are only savoury and have vegetables not sweet things.Ā 

Although the original Cornish pasty had a savoury half and the other half was a sweet usually fruit, treacle or jam. Two courses in one!

Ā 

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/history

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, possum52 said:

If you like coconut in chocolate, Whittakers have the best coconut chocolate I have ever tasted. My absolute favourite, I had a small slab/bar this afternoon.Ā 

Whittaker's Coconut Slab 50g

OMG Leigh, that's was my absolute fav chocolate. I if was ever tempted to eat a high sugar diet again, that would be it!!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

OMG Leigh, that's was my absolute fav chocolate. I if was ever tempted to eat a high sugar diet again, that would be it!!

Cheryl, I only buy the coconut slabs when on special at Woolies. So that means I don't buy too often so they are a real treat for me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

An Apple turnover is almost a sweet pasty, same shape,lol. With cream instead of tomato sauce, lol.

1547604921_applepie.jpg.655420634047adb6bda02e7c25229791.jpg

I don't think the tin miners would have much success with taking those for lunch Les šŸ˜€. But I do agree, a pasty shape and very yum. Many years since I've seen one in a bakery.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I don't think the tin miners would have much success with taking those for lunch Les šŸ˜€. But I do agree, a pasty shape and very yum. Many years since I've seen one in a bakery.

They are plentiful in bakeries around here. A local bakery has a choice of mock cream or fresh cream. Mock is my favourite.

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We used to get them in the school tuckshop. They would be on the banned list today along with fingerbuns and vanilla slices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes, I prefer those to Tim Tams Julie.Ā 

I find the chocolate on Tim Tams has a strange aftertaste so I rarely buy them. I'm a Lindt Lindor addict but the Whittakers Dark Caramel is very, very nice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yarramar said:

We used to get them in the school tuckshop. They would be on the banned list today along with fingerbuns and vanilla slices.

If my memory is correct Leigh has a local shop that makes really good pasties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Although the original Cornish pasty had a savoury half and the other half was a sweet usually fruit, treacle or jam. Two courses in one!

Ā 

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/history

Yes. We buy these in Moonta SA, a Cornish settlement for the mines. Still have the curly pasty on top for the handle. We live in the area.Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

They are plentiful in bakeries around here. A local bakery has a choice of mock cream or fresh cream. Mock is my favourite.

I detest mock! šŸ˜‚
Ā 

I only buy Haighs (SA Great) or Lindt chocolate. I used to buy whittakers. Not anymore.Ā 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

Fantastic lot of information on sweets. I thank everyone for participating in this delicious thread.

Ā 

I note you have Lindt down there.Ā  This is my go-to for dark chocolate and I LOVE the Lindt "Excellence" Dark Madagascar with vanilla.Ā  I have never tasted such smooth chocolate and the vanilla gives it a perfect "extra"! I buy these 100g bars on sale of 3 for $10 CND and horde them!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

I bought what looked like a nice pasty from The Bakery, Greenhills. I couldn't eat it. Some idiot pastry cook had decided it should have broccoli in it. Ugh!

Edited by lyndarra
can't spell little green tree correctly
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Fantastic lot of information on sweets. I thank everyone for participating in this delicious thread.

Ā 

I note you have Lindt down there.Ā  This is my go-to for dark chocolate and I LOVE the Lindt "Excellence" Dark Madagascar with vanilla.Ā  I have never tasted such smooth chocolate and the vanilla gives it a perfect "extra"! I buy these 100g bars on sale of 3 for $10 CND and horde them!

Hahaha, you'll be horrified at the local price here, but you'll be on holiday, hehehe šŸ˜‹

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I find the chocolate on Tim Tams has a strange aftertaste so I rarely buy them. I'm a Lindt Lindor addict but the Whittakers Dark Caramel is very, very nice.

I used to love Tim Tams but find them too sweet now, also the chocolate coating is now so thin you can see the biscuit through it. I very occasionally buy the double coat Tim Tams as a rare treat.

• Like 2